Sponsored

Ouray, Moab, Zion road trip for stock Jeep.

rob28

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL 2dr Willys. 2021.
We are looking to drive from NW Ontario to Colorado and Utah to see the sights and check out some easy trails.
We’ve never off roaded before and have a stock 2 door Sport apart from 33” Duratracs and rock rails. So obviously we’re not looking to do the Rubicon Trail or Black Bear Pass (the wife has seen videos of the drop offs and is not happy).
The rough plan is 2 nights at Ouray, 2 nights at Cedar City or Kanab to do Zion, Bryce Canyon etc and then 2 nights at Moab.
Travel is 3 days each way as we don’t want to rush it too much.

What are people’s thoughts on this? We’re trying to research now for probably a September vacation. Let me know your thoughts on trails, accommodations, must see places...

Thanks, Rob.
Sponsored

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
For your schedule, I would plan to do the Alpine Loop.

That will take you down Engineers Pass to Lake City and back. This will take you all day or you could break it into 2 days, but it is definitely a gorgeous trail.

If you have the time, take Impogene Pass from Ouray to Telluride. You won't be able to take Black Bear Pass back the other direction since the switch back section by the waterfall is one way. However, once you make it to Telluride you can drive the trail up to the top of the waterfall.

It's really quite awesome. You can check out some of the trail pics from my trip out there last here:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/jeepin-the-dream.10162/

There's 8 pages of stuff in there, but a lot of pics to check out.

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Early to mid sept is a great time to catch the changing of the leaves in ouray. Second for alpine loop, was a great trip when we did it. That’s kind of a weird time as the towns are starting to shut down until the winter rush

Brett

Geos7812

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Black Bear is no joke, but I don’t think you can miss that one. I took a Chevy 1500 up to the falls from Telluride. I was tight but just go slow and enjoy. Do some work in the convincing department.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
My wife and I were in Telluride and Ouray last September and it was amazing. This was pre-Jeep (we took my old 2008 Xterra), and so we didn't attempt Engineer or Imogene. But we did do a really nice drive from Ouray to Silverton via Corkscrew Gulch, Hurricane Pass, California Pass, and Animas Forks. Ophir Pass is also a pretty cool drive, but not sure if that is on your route. However, if you were to do it, I would recommend ascending from Ophir, which will put you on the Million Dollar Hwy not too far from Ouray.

Sponsored

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Nice time to go. I’ve run every trail up there several times over. Black bear is quite easy but just respect the stairs as you would every trail on the loop. I’ve run it backwards and in the rain. You can run down Black Bear and then back up Imogene. Or run back Ophir Pass after exploring Telluride a bit. The Alpine Loop is an amazing place you’ll never forget.

There isn’t a trail on that entire route that your JL can’t do. It’s all pretty easy. Only one I would say is tougher is Poughkeepsie. Most likely need to winch that one. Other than that, Mineral creek is rocky at the start to Engineer but awesome.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
Also - in Ouray...my wife and I stayed in the Twin Peaks Lodge and it was nice. I also stayed with some buddies at the Timber Ridge Lodge on the COBDR (motorcycles) and it's nice, too, albeit a little bit out of town. The guy who runs is it a good source of knowledge for routes. For restaurants, skip the Outlaw. Total tourist trap. Instead, check out Brickhouse 737.

FPrice

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon 4D
We ran the Alpine Loop, Engineer Pass, Cinnamon Pass and Mineral Creek in a 2004 4Runner last August. The 4Runner had a V8 and some suspension work, but only had 265/70/17 Toyo At’s on it. We had no issues, but had to pick our lines carefully coming down Mineral creek. We let a couple of Jeeps come past us.....December 31, bought a Rubicon!

We love that area so much we are skipping our usual rip to the tip of Baja to explore Colorado.

dapipp

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Jeep Wrangler X (TJ), 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (LJ), 2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon (JL)

beammeup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK , 2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
in Ouray you could do Immogene into Telluride, then take Last Dollar Rd back to Ridgeway, then back to Ouray. Fairly quick trip.
Moab would be Potash Rd out to the Mussleman Arch on the White Rim, turn around and come up the Shaffer switchbacks, then down Long Canyon and back into Moab. If you have an extra day there, I would do Onion Creek, Thompson Canyon, Geyser Pass loop.
Have fun.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Since the 70s, I've spent a lot of time in that area of the country, deer hunting and just sightseeing. I think you'll really enjoy that area of the country, regardless whether you do any sport off-roading. But, of course, you have to.

Don't miss a sunset at the Cedar Breaks in Utah. There's a lot of scenery in Utah. Just west of the turnoff to Moab on I-70, there's the San Rafael Swell and north of Moab is Arches Nat Park, and if you miss Monument Valley just south of Moab you'll be hearing about that from your wife. There's also Black Canyon of the Gunnison N.P. southeast of Grand Junction, CO. There's more to see in that area of the country than you'll have time.

The weather in September can go either way pretty quickly. Some years it is warm and dry, other years it can snow. Be prepared for either. The good thing about the fall is that most of the people are done and home, leaving you with a better experience in the parks and lodging will be available. In the peak of vacation season, lodging in that area of the country is hard to get, and even campgrounds fill up. After the peak season subsides, you can make your next night's lodging reservation in the morning from your cellphone. In peak vacation season, you'll be wise to make lodging reservations much further ahead. Keep that in mind when chosing your trip timing. I prefer a bit of cold or even rain/snow to crowds at the parks. Check the parks seasonal open-close dates. Some close for the winter.

I recommend you consider some type of protective film (even temporary) for the sides of your Jeep, if you want to do some 2 track forestry trail drives. The brush can get tight.

The first thing that struck me was how long a drive that will be in a 2 door Jeep. 30 hrs each way from Red Lake to Cedar. Are you towing the Jeep?

Last edited:

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Not to derail the OP's post, but I've been day dreaming of a similar trip. Coming from a bit further though (NY). Been weighing the pros/cons of driving vs flying and renting a Jeep. Lot of great info here, thanks!

chevymitchell

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Pain Train), 2022 2500 AT4
Occupation
Avi Engineer
Not to derail the OP's post, but I've been day dreaming of a similar trip. Coming from a bit further though (NY). Been weighing the pros/cons of driving vs flying and renting a Jeep. Lot of great info here, thanks!
If you have the time, drive your Jeep there.

The reason I say this is that you will have accomplished something with your Jeep that you can carry with you back to New York. There's a relationship you will form with your Jeep, especially after completing such a journey, that you won't find with any other vehicle. If you make the trip and collect some Badge of Honor badges, you'll want to stick them on your Jeep with pride. I highly recommend using your own Jeep, if you have the time for travel, of course.

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase

The reason I say this is that you will have accomplished something with your Jeep that you can carry with you back to New York. There's a relationship you will form with your Jeep, especially after completing such a journey, that you won't find with any other vehicle. If you make the trip and collect some Badge of Honor badges, you'll want to stick them on your Jeep with pride. I highly recommend using your own Jeep, if you have the time for travel, of course.
Thanks for the encouragement. I would much rather drive. I have the time and I wouldn't mind making some side excursions along the way. (Actually, not sure if I'm coming further than the OP or not, NW Ontario is wayyy up there)

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350

You’re braver than we are. We are trailering. Hate to have a breakdown and be stranded until repaired at the mercy of a local shop and now we have plenty of room for everything else we need! We’re doing the rubicon and Moab. Bringing a welder/generator, gas air compressor, drive shafts, parts galore just in case for us or others.

Brett
Sponsored