Sponsored

Our New Jeep Wrangler (2018+) Unlimited and Pickup Preview Renderings

Nmp212

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 RAM 1500
I have my doubts that a factory worker has seen the JL wrangler already but I bet these are close anyway.

BTW the LED lighting even in renderings makes a big difference in modernizing the look of the car. The current lights suck so that'll be a very welcome change.
He doesnt have to technically be a factory worker. There are managers that have plenty of access to this kind of stuff, even if not directly related to their job.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Updated with new rendering which you should recognize from our forum header :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Our New Jeep Wrangler (2018+) Unlimited and Pickup Preview Renderings {filename}

Jeep Wrangler JL Our New Jeep Wrangler (2018+) Unlimited and Pickup Preview Renderings {filename}

Eddie_T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Wrangler Sport, 2015 Charger
Gorgeous renders, but REALLY hope the roof frame rails won't be that thick or will be removable! Even with all the panels and windows removed it just seems a lot more boxed in than a roofless JK. Hope Jeep throws us Wrangler faithfuls a bone and reveal more of the roof on the prototypes before the car is officially revealed.

FiftyFive0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Chevy Tahoe
I don't really mind the sport bar becoming a fixed part of the body but they need to paint it black to give it the appearance of the roll bar. It might seem minor but it will be a big deal to Wrangler fans. A body colored roof/frame will give it the look of a traditional SUV (same complaints some have about the Sahara roof option)

Other than that I think as long as you can remove every panel all the way to the rear just like these images, it will be the same thing as driving topless. Bonus since you will actually be able to remove it just by yourself.

Sponsored

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
The sport bar design with the completely replaceable top is great because you can swap it out for different hard and soft tops. My buddy has a Wild Boar fastback targa top on his JKU and it looks real nice. I dont think it would be possible with this concept image.

Davos77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of roofs, since we're supposed to be getting a powered soft top option doesn't that basically tell us that it won't be a completely removable roof? Am I wrong i n assuming a powered soft top has be installed on some kind of fixed permanent roof structure?

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

Speaking of roofs, since we're supposed to be getting a powered soft top option doesn't that basically tell us that it won't be a completely removable roof? Am I wrong i n assuming a powered soft top has be installed on some kind of fixed permanent roof structure?

Rugged Ridge and a few others have made power soft tops for years. The "rails" just fit fit alongside the sport bar I believe. I don't know anyone that's actually bought one since it's $$$ but I would not trust it to withstand heavy rain/wind.

FiftyFive0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Chevy Tahoe
The sport bar design with the completely replaceable top is great because you can swap it out for different hard and soft tops. My buddy has a Wild Boar fastback targa top on his JKU and it looks real nice. I dont think it would be possible with this concept image.
I bet we will see more not less roof options than with the JK. FCA just needs to make sure it keeps with the Jeep formula of easy to install/replace and not complex (doesn't require a ton of wiring and bringing it to a shop to perform)

Sponsored

Ernie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
^U gotta wonder if the JL is no longer going to get a pass under the convertible exemption will there be extra bolstering along the pillars and strengthening of doors/weight added as a result? Not saying they won't make the doors removable, they would be insane to do that but maybe harder to remove?.

Also you know FCA is trying to improve everything else about the vehicle - comfort, safety and reliability. I'm sure improving the pretty dysmal crash ratings (especially side impact) will be one of the priorities for the next Wrangler.

AVENTUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 750li sport
^U gotta wonder if the JL is no longer going to get a pass under the convertible exemption will there be extra bolstering along the pillars and strengthening of doors/weight added as a result? Not saying they won't make the doors removable, they would be insane to do that but maybe harder to remove?.

Also you know FCA is trying to improve everything else about the vehicle - comfort, safety and reliability. I'm sure improving the pretty dysmal crash ratings (especially side impact) will be one of the priorities for the next Wrangler.
i don't have to wonder that. If the doors arent removable I will buy a used JKU, or won't buy at all.

I not only want removable doors, I want ones with no wiring harness which when the car is unlocked, are able to be removed in less than 5 seconds each. Manual windows are not a problem at all.

We can achieve power locks in doors with no wiring harness, even on the JLU, by having laterally extending deadbolts which extend from the center pillar, into a female receptor on each door, and it would be extra cool and economical to have suicide doors with both deadbolt power locks coming out of the same pillar between them.
Sponsored