Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Ahead of a possible reveal at the upcoming Detroit Auto Show in January, we’re excited to release our 2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) and Pickup (JT) renderings which we believe provide an accurate preview of next generation (JL) Wrangler.

Our renderings represent a composite from months of insider source tips, leaks, research and spy photo revelations and analysis. They were modeled from our real life prototypes photos. The major highlights include:

• Fixed roof structure with large removable roof panels and removable back windows (from insider sources and previewed in early concept proposal)
  • Multi-configuration roof as seen in early concept model: full-width panels removed, center piece removed, and all panels installed
  • Roof/top with angled rear pillar and angled windows (previewed in spy pics and early concept proposal)
  • More raked windshield
  • Longer hood (accommodates new 8 speed auto, will be made from aluminum, and may have already been leaked)
  • Hood bulge/vent - possibly to provide air for 4 cyl turbo and/or diesel (seen in spy photos and early concept proposal)
  • LED headlights (seen in spy photos and already introduced on current 2017 Wrangler)
  • Headlights slightly recessed into outer most grille slats (a la CJ Wrangler)
  • Front grille with "kink" leading to angled top portion (a la TJ Wrangler, seen in spy pics)
  • European style front bumper (longer and extends up to meet fender flares)
  • LED turn signal light strips integrated into fender flares (seen in spy pics)
  • Foglights located more inwards of headlights
  • New Goodyear tires (switch from current BFGoodrich tires, seen in spy pics)
  • Retains exposed exterior door hinge mechanism and removable doors
  • Similar door cut-lines as current model
  • Tail lights featuring "X" design (seen in the leaked dealer meeting images)

Our JL Wrangler concept also reflects some speculated/rumored features, including:
  • Flip up/over rear window (based on patent drawings)
  • Vents behind front wheel flares (helps wheel well air flow while adding some design flair)

As we can see, the JL Wrangler design will be more evolutionary than revolutionary, which is no surprise given the continued strong sales of the current JK Wrangler model. The biggest changes will come in the form of the new fixed roof / removable panel structure and "under the skin" where the Wrangler will receive all new engine options (Pentastar V6, Hurricane Turbo 4, and a 3.0L Diesel) and a new 8 speed transmission.

Updated with new rendering

wrangler 2018-d1.jpg

wrangler 2018-d2.jpg

Wrangler Pickup (JT) With Multiple Piece Removable Roof

2018-Wrangler-pickup-JLwranglerforums-1.jpg
2018-Wrangler-pickup-JLwranglerforums-3.jpg
2018-Wrangler-pickup-JLwranglerforums-2.jpg

Wrangler Unlimited (JLU)

2018-Wrangler-Unlimited-Front-JLwranglerforums-1.jpg

2018-Wrangler-Unlimited-Front-JLwranglerforums-2.jpg
2018-Wrangler-Unlimited-Front-JLwranglerforums-3.jpg
2018-Wrangler-Unlimited-Front-JLwranglerforums-4.jpg
2018-Wrangler-Unlimited-Front-JLwranglerforums-5.jpg

Multi-Configuration Roof in Action

JL-Wrangler-White-Roof-JLwranglerforums.gif

JL-Wrangler-Black-Roof-JLwranglerforums.gif
Sponsored

Last edited:

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
Wow great job!! These are stunning. Especially love the pickup version but I think it could use a larger bed. The vent behind the fenders is a nice touch too..

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I would be stoked if it looked like this. The only thing I hope is that the fenders are still removable

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Wow. Well done!

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
These are fabulous and even better they're based on real in depth analysis. There's some guesswork still involved but that's expected at this stage.

It's unmistakably a Wrangler but with some nice new modern touches. Really hope the hood bump and fender vent makes it to the production car. And I'll take a white JT please :)

Sponsored

Rambeaux

First Name
John J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Willys JKU
Occupation
Aircraft Doctor
I would be stoked if it looked like this. The only thing I hope is that the fenders are still removable
Anything is removable....if you BELIEVE.

But seriously, well done JLWF! Can't wait.

JLtherig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU (future)
The headlights actually look proportionally bigger over the JK/ JKU on the actual prototypes.

jb1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ Wrangler
Hot damn! Very well done and thank you for always keeping the JL news flowing while we all wait for the reveal, it helps pass the time.

For the white version it's interesting that's exactly how I pictured the roof functioning when I saw the clay model. Would've loved to see a version without the doors and compare its open air-ness to a fully open JK.

Sponsored

Uptonogood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
06 TJ
These are exceptional. Love the hood, grill, fenders, vents and just about everything else. But the roof has me worried. I worry an integrated sport bar just won't feel the same and what it will mean for moddability and roof related parts/accessories.

ghcartwright

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 Wrangler, 2013 Sonic
I see no external hold down latches on the hood. Does this mean they are gone for lower cd or just weren't drawn in?
Also I read rumors of external mirrors being attached to body rather than doors so one would still have mirrors when doors removed. Any thoughts/info on that?

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Thoughts;

Mirrors will stay on doors, and the hood latches live on. Just my opinion. BTW, one or more of the renderings shows them.

RDwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JGC, Rubicon
Several people with intimate knowledge have said this is very close. We're getting there. FCA should be driving around more scantily clad JL prototypes soon.

PSA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
These are exceptional. Love the hood, grill, fenders, vents and just about everything else. But the roof has me worried. I worry an integrated sport bar just won't feel the same and what it will mean for moddability and roof related parts/accessories.
That worries me too. The stubborn part of me still wants to think that there's no way they abandon the total open air experience. But the rumors seem to be pointing that way and no mules have shown otherwise yet :(

Several people with intimate knowledge have said this is very close. We're getting there. FCA should be driving around more scantily clad JL prototypes soon.
If the reveal is really at Detroit in early Jan. then we should be seeing lots of strip teasing soon. Unless Jeep wants to keep the design as secret as possible to make a big splash with the auto show debut.
Sponsored