Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2015 200S AWD
I'll bet money that jog on the bed doesn't happen. Guys doing the renderings obviously aren't hands-on car guys. From an assembly standpoint that would be a nightmare. They are going to want the bed to drop straight down onto the frame. I don't think that jog, as drawn, is even reasonably possible as far up as you'd have to tilt it to sneak that under the body.

And don't trust guessing body lines by the camo pics. I've seen the JLU in person in camo (never removed) and that stuff is quite strategically done these days.
Sponsored

MattP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Rubicon, 1985 CJ-7, 1949 Jeep Truck, 1948 CJ-2a
I also would be surprised if the bed is angled where it meets the cab. My guess is it will look more like the AEV Brute with the rear fender flare ending right at the bottom corner of the bed. See below...

upload_2017-6-13_15-29-59.png

upload_2017-6-13_15-30-11.png

View attachment 1324

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also would be surprised if the bed is angled where it meets the cab. My guess is it will look more like the AEV Brute with the rear fender flare ending right at the bottom corner of the bed. See below...
Bingo! It will have to look like that.

Sponsored

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I'll bet money that jog on the bed doesn't happen. Guys doing the renderings obviously aren't hands-on car guys. From an assembly standpoint that would be a nightmare. They are going to want the bed to drop straight down onto the frame. I don't think that jog, as drawn, is even reasonably possible as far up as you'd have to tilt it to sneak that under the body.

And don't trust guessing body lines by the camo pics. I've seen the JLU in person in camo (never removed) and that stuff is quite strategically done these days.
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but during assembly why couldn't the bed drop on the frame prior to the cab? Also maybe the cab and bed would be married together first using a jig then dropped onto the frame as a unit. Just thinking out loud. I agree that jog might create a potential nightmare for repair service and body shops if the bed has to be removed but is captured under the cab.

I guess we need to wait another year to find out.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Aren't the JL and JT going to be built at different plants anyway? Probably would still save cost to make the same doors for both but maybe less so?
Yes, and really it somewhat depends on how extensive the changes are for the JT from the JK line. If they keep much of the JK production intact and it's just a slight tweak/refresh as if it were a styling refresh, then having a lot of comminalities with the JK makes sense. The fact that the JT/JTU would be shorter without the bed means that the length challenge the JL presents to the painting setup for example, isn't an issue, so they could reuse the JK paintshop and the JL gets its own.
There will definitely be part overlaps, but the JL's cost can only be lowered by JT actions not raised, the JL's production is already justified by its line. The cost calculation would come more for the JT if anything, and stamping a crease in a piece of outside aluminium/steel isn't going to cost much extra, and definitrly cheaper than a vent with an insert which is already a differentiator.

No, the JL will be built on the old Cherokee line (retooled of course) next to the JK for 6 months (or so). They will then retool the current JK line to produce the JT, which will be next to the JL line (unless I have misread something of course).
They aren't in the same plant, they are two separate plants with Toledo North making the JL and Toledo South currently making the JK/JT , it's not a shared plant the way the Cherokee/Libery/Nitro was.
It is the same very large property but the lines are not right next to each other sharing parts bins they are separated by about 1/2 a mile with Hyundai/Mobis and the paint shop in the way.

We don't know if the JT gets a full line replacement or if they can leverage the existing JK line somewhat to save money for the JT, which would make sense as to why the two platforms look different and why the JT might look more JK-like.

Reactions: JAY

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That also depends on if it's a structural component or a cosmetic one, there's no substantial structural advanatge to that shape. The principle components of the bed themselves will likely be the traditional box and easily dropped into place on the line. However the protruding flare could just be a slap on exterior panel. as seen in the JK8, to flush things up and externally fill the gap (which remains behind he facade).

It's another unnecessary step in the process, but not one where tilting and such become a requirement.

To me the question remains, why do that to the already limited cabin space... just for aesthetics?

IMG_0473.JPG

MotorCityJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't necessarily disagree with you, but during assembly why couldn't the bed drop on the frame prior to the cab? Also maybe the cab and bed would be married together first using a jig then dropped onto the frame as a unit. Just thinking out loud. I agree that jog might create a potential nightmare for repair service and body shops if the bed has to be removed but is captured under the cab.

I guess we need to wait another year to find out.
That could be possible (bed first). Good catch but I just don't see it happening that way on an assembly line. The forward jutting jog is still just a wing of sheet metal. For repair and the option of other types of beds...I'd wager they'll want it easily removable.

Sponsored

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
Will the JT pickup have the same rollbar-cage structure that we've seen on the JL/JLU?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will the JT pickup have the same rollbar-cage structure that we've seen on the JL/JLU?
It can't, it doesn't have the rear for it, so it has to be some variation thereof.

It could have two versions like the YJ's two options the Sport and Family bars, but in this case the JL/JLU and JT/JTU.

But from the previous road test photo from last month, it doesn't look like it has an internal cage based on the front interior shots. But that's far from definitive.

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-on-public-roads-shows-spare-tire-mount.1140/

IMG_0550.JPG

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To me that kinda looks like a darkened rear port hole gap that's covered by camo, but dunno.

Status
Not open for further replies.