Sponsored
Status
Not open for further replies.

freeaswind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Jeep Wrangler JK 2 Door
I'd love to have a black four door JT with manual transmission and lockers. But I have to say that I'm not a fan of the vents on the hood, and I'm glad that there's no side vents behind the fender. I'm sure many would disagree with me, but to me those vents just aesthetically don't belong to off road/ expedition vehicles such as the Jeep.
Sponsored

TraderNTrucker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500
It can't, it doesn't have the rear for it, so it has to be some variation thereof.

It could have two versions like the YJ's two options the Sport and Family bars, but in this case the JL/JLU and JT/JTU.

But from the previous road test photo from last month, it doesn't look like it has an internal cage based on the front interior shots. But that's far from definitive.

http://www.jlwranglerforums.com/for...-on-public-roads-shows-spare-tire-mount.1140/

IMG_0550.JPG
Which begs the question if the JT will need an internal cage due to having a removable top. If so it faces the same problem of continuing to build the JK as is, which is presumably why FCA is pushing it forward with the JL generation.

Could it be that the JT will be based more on the JK than the JL as a result, and maybe close off that roof?

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Could it be that the JT will be based more on the JK than the JL as a result, and maybe close off that roof?
Yeah, that's what it looks like may be the case, that there will be a design split between the two, and by recycling some of the JK line (even if just the paint shop, etc), there may be advantage to that in bringing it quicker to market or reducing the costs, and possibly allow the re-use of some of the stamping / fabrication equipment.

The issue with the shortened cab is how you leverage support for a cage, as it would be structurally stronger as a trapezoid than a rectangular prism.

It would still be possible to have an internal cage with additional angles, but would require a bit more intrusion into the occupant space to achieve that. They could also extend the structure past the rear towards the truck bed, but that poses a whole myriad of additonal challenges.

It would make more sense to do an external ROP cage attached at the fron of the bed to allow for more flexibility with the cab design.

NewApexJT

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Ford Ranger, 2018 Nissan Frontier
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
For the arguments that the bed and the body would be hard to assemble, here is a explorer sport track. It has a similar line but not as extreme as shown in the renders. It was built upon a body on frame architecture and shared with the regular explorer(a derivative HD frame of the Ranger). I'm sure if Ford could figure out how to put this together then FCA could definitely build the JT with a more defined fender line.

IMG_1589.PNG

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
For the arguments that the bed and the body would be hard to assemble, here is a explorer sport track. It has a similar line but not as extreme as shown in the renders...
It's definitely nowhere near as severe and angle, but most imoortantly it's also cosmetic, only on the outside about 6 inches inward, not extending under the cab, so similar to the JK8, it's only the outside panel that is tilted in, not the bed.

The rear of the SportTrac cab is rather flat with two notches on the side to accommodate those styling touches. Again, added work for little benefit, and even possible drawbacks if it impacts internal storage. They could use the space for in bed storage, but it's very inconvenient at the front of the bed, versus other options, and I'd take additional internal storage over bed storage every time.

Sponsored

RobNY

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
05 TJ
I'd love to have a black four door JT with manual transmission and lockers. But I have to say that I'm not a fan of the vents on the hood, and I'm glad that there's no side vents behind the fender. I'm sure many would disagree with me, but to me those vents just aesthetically don't belong to off road/ expedition vehicles such as the Jeep.
Those vents will only be on a Rubicon model.

JeepinOutfitters

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepinoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
1995 XJ, 2016 JKUR Hard Rock
Occupation
Outfitting Jeeps for adventures.
Those vents will only be on a Rubicon model.
Not only that but the vented hood would likely only be on the Hard Rock/Recon model Rubicons, not all Rubicons, as it currently is with the JK.

Status
Not open for further replies.