Other Chrysler key fobs for JL?

BWWJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve searched and don’t believe this has been covered

Like many, I believe the key fob size is silly big for the JL. Has anyone investigated other Jeep key fobs (GC, Cherokee, etc) for compatibility? I have to imagine there’s a smaller key fob from Jeep that’s interchangeable?

Thx.
Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
As long as it is not so big that it can't be transported in my friend's JLU (4 dr) when I need the spare fob transported to a different geographical location, then it is not to big for me.... I have a 2 dr.

fob-jpg.jpg

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Probably no/very little information out there on this topic, but I really doubt that any car company would make the key system unique to one vehicle. The exterior design of the key fob might be unique, but how it operates should be the same.

The key fobs cost $?? to buy and then $?? for the dealer to program and the vehicle so it will work. The only way to make this any cheaper is to find a totaled FCA vehicle that has the key fob design you want and see if you can get it for cheap. Then make friends with a service technician and have them program it under the table.

Sponsored

spurly

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bright White JLUR
I have a friend with a 4Runner TRD Pro and he bought an aftermarket keyfob that's painted to match the 4Runner. Since a lot of people seem to dislike the factory keyfob, I would say it's only a matter of time before the aftermarket community offers something.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I have a friend with a 4Runner TRD Pro and he bought an aftermarket keyfob that's painted to match the 4Runner. Since a lot of people seem to dislike the factory keyfob, I would say it's only a matter of time before the aftermarket community offers something.
So if he leaves it on the hood , the key fob will be invisible because the colors are the same .

Sponsored

Rick12785

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
I posed this question a while back. If the fob is computer programmed than in theory you should be able to program any Jeep fob to work. The fob below is for a 2018 Renegade and also has proximity sensor ability.

PRX-CHY-G43-DODGE.jpg

jeepinoutwest

First Name
Rui
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL sport, 2017 Yamaha Super Tenere
This may be a stupid question but can I just leave the fob inside the center console all the time and use a regular key to unlock the door? (I don’t have power locks) Will leaving it inside the Jeep drain the battery? Thanks

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I posed this question a while back. If the fob is computer programmed than in theory you should be able to program any Jeep fob to work. The fob below is for a 2018 Renegade and also has proximity sensor ability.

PRX-CHY-G43-DODGE.jpg
When I was looking for just a key blade and not a fob, the locksmith told me that his information identified the Renegade fob as using the same security technology as the JL. The problem is, I think only the dealer is able to program JL fobs. This came up a while back in a discussion of key identification codes coming with the JL keys. None were provided with mine, but supposedly they aren't needed, since only the dealer can do the programming and they can get the codes. So, check with your dealer to see if they can program one of the smaller fobs for your JL.

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
When I was looking for just a key blade and not a fob, the locksmith told me that his information identified the Renegade fob as using the same security technology as the JL. The problem is, I think only the dealer is able to program JL fobs. This came up a while back in a discussion of key identification codes coming with the JL keys. None were provided with mine, but supposedly they aren't needed, since only the dealer can do the programming and they can get the codes. So, check with your dealer to see if they can program one of the smaller fobs for your JL.
Would be interesting to know...quite a few cars used to have a "lesser known" convoluted way to sync the key to the car. On BMWs it was some odd combination of putting the key in the ignition, opening the trunk, pushing some buttons, etc.

szobell

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR

PRX-CHY-G43-DODGE.jpg
Did anyone try this smaller renegade FOB?
Sponsored