Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Well you don't necessarily need shocks either. You only do if you want 10" of shock travel, since the stock shocks are 8". That's why I'm curious what exactly you want. If you just want to get the thing a couple inches higher in the air, then a spacer lift that comes with bumps and shock extensions is all you need. If you want more articulation, ixnay on the shock extensions and do 10" shocks (usually billed as 2-3" or 2.5-4" lift shocks). If you want a lot more articulation, you need everything.
Well then you've just answered my question. Seems as if the 1.5" spacer lift and some Fox 2.0s is all I need. Makes more sense to spend a grand for 10" of articulation than 3 grand for 12" of articulation. I noticed on Metalcloak's site that all their kits require a new driveshaft, which is an extra $600. I immediately thought "WTF have I gotten into here..."
Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Well then you've just answered my question. Seems as if the 1.5" spacer lift and some Fox 2.0s is all I need. Makes more sense to spend a grand for 10" of articulation than 3 grand for 12" of articulation. I noticed on Metalcloak's site that all their kits require a new driveshaft, which is an extra $600. I immediately thought "WTF have I gotten into here..."
Yes metalcloak only sells long travel stuff, good for them honestly. The mid range stuff is bad for the consumer but it sells well.

And if you tell me what size tires you are running and what wheels I can tell you how much bump stop you need and give you the right fox 2.0 part numbers.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Yes metalcloak only sells long travel stuff, good for them honestly. The mid range stuff is bad for the consumer but it sells well.

And if you tell me what size tires you are running and what wheels I can tell you how much bump stop you need and give you the right fox 2.0 part numbers.
I'm still on the stockers, trying to decide on what wheels and tires. I'm either going 18s with 35s or 20s with 37s, but if a re-gear is necessary with 37s I'll most likely stick with 35s. There's also a matter of how to mount the spare with 37s.

Last edited:

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
I'm still on the stockers, trying to decide on what wheels and tires. I'm either going 18s with 35s or 20s with 37s, but if a re-gear is necessary with 27s I'll most likely stick with 35s. There's also a matter of how to mount the spare with 37s.
Ok, in the front you want 985-24-172 with 1" bump stops. In the rear you want 985-24-178 with 1.5" bump stops. Do not go less than 1.5" bump stop in the rear or you will bottom your shock.

If you ever go with 37s you don't need to change any of that, but you will need to do a DIY highline kit, or something similar like rugged ridge.

If you want to do 37s with full stock fenders, that complicates the suspension game a bit.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ok, in the front you want 985-24-172 with 1" bump stops. In the rear you want 985-24-178 with 1.5" bump stops. Do not go less than 1.5" bump stop in the rear or you will bottom your shock.

If you ever go with 37s you don't need to change any of that, but you will need to do a DIY highline kit, or something similar like rugged ridge.

If you want to do 37s with full stock fenders, that complicates the suspension game a bit.
Oh man LOL, the snowball just keeps getting bigger . Complicates it more than the need for these fenders?

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Oh man LOL, the snowball just keeps getting bigger . Complicates it more than the need for these fenders?
Nah you just need to run a ton of bump stop with 37s on full fenders. Like 2.5-3". You can do that with the shocks I suggested but that will eat up some of your travel. To get your travel back you need to go with longer shocks which brings us back full circle with you needing all the expensive suspension stuff.

With what I suggested to you, you will have 9.25" of shock travel in the front and 11" in the back. If you add 3" bump stop all around with the same shocks, you will have 7.25" travel in the front and 9.5" in the back. You'd also want to go up to a 2.5 spacer lift or a 2.0" spring. But if you're still cool with those numbers, go right ahead.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. How's the ride quality of the Synergy and Rock Krawler kits? Either way I'm gonna buy the Fox 2.0s from ORW since the labor is free, but what Synergy/RK kits would you recommend to go with it? Also, the dual rate springs in the Superlift kit are apparently nice too, what's your opinion of that kit?
These guys are giving you great sound advice. I’ve been on this forum with these guys for a long time, and wouldn’t expect anything less. I am just going to throw this out there, and again, just my .02 here..........

8ACCC6F5-D85C-4629-AFD6-418059FBE437.jpeg

This will get you where it sounds like you want to be price wise, and it’s upgradable. It drives great on and off the road. Ride quality is so subjective, so what I think drives great, you may think it’s to soft, or to stiff, so that part you’ll have to decide on your own. One thing I can tell you for sure, from my own experience, the off road capability is top shelf.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Ok, in the front you want 985-24-172 with 1" bump stops. In the rear you want 985-24-178 with 1.5" bump stops. Do not go less than 1.5" bump stop in the rear or you will bottom your shock
One more question, why the two different shocks for the front and the rear? Why not the 0"-1.5" shocks all around?

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
One more question, why the two different shocks for the front and the rear? Why not the 0"-1.5" shocks all around?
The shocks are front and rear specific. You can run the 0-1.5" shocks but they are intended to be run without any extra bump stop. Once you add bump stop you limit some travel on those shocks, and it would make more sense to use your stock shocks with extensions at that point.

If you're leaning heavily towards 37s I would just do a 2.5" spacer lift with 2.5" bump stops and 2.5" shock extensions. I think you will be very happy with that.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
The shocks are front and rear specific. You can run the 0-1.5" shocks but they are intended to be run without any extra bump stop. Once you add bump stop you limit some travel on those shocks, and it would make more sense to use your stock shocks with extensions at that point.

If you're leaning heavily towards 37s I would just do a 2.5" spacer lift with 2.5" bump stops and 2.5" shock extensions. I think you will be very happy with that.
I've already decided I'm not going 37s, too many other factors to consider at that point so I'm going with 35s. And I noticed that Teraflex suggests 0"-1.5" shocks in the front and rear with their 1.5" spacer lift, that's why I'm confused. Thanks
Sponsored