Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
They screwed me around on some Synergy stuff a year ago that took forever - but whenever I tried to cancel it was "it will ship tomorrow...".

I avoid them now. Perhaps for local work they are good, not sure.
Yeah thinking about canceling it on my card now
Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
What exactly makes the Synergy kit better than the Teraflex one?
As @Roky points out they are more complete kits. I like Synergy as you can also add on in stages and it all works together. RK has nice kits as well. Both you can't go wrong with.

I also don't love Teraflex lifts and suspension. They tend to be really stiff springs and shocks. I also think they are over-priced for the quality you get.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
As @Roky points out they are more complete kits. I like Synergy as you can also add on in stages and it all works together. RK has nice kits as well. Both you can't go wrong with.

I also don't love Teraflex lifts and suspension. They tend to be really stiff springs and shocks. I also think they are over-priced for the quality you get.
Thank you. How's the ride quality of the Synergy and Rock Krawler kits? Either way I'm gonna buy the Fox 2.0s from ORW since the labor is free, but what Synergy/RK kits would you recommend to go with it? Also, the dual rate springs in the Superlift kit are apparently nice too, what's your opinion of that kit?

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Thank you. How's the ride quality of the Synergy and Rock Krawler kits? Either way I'm gonna buy the Fox 2.0s from ORW since the labor is free, but what Synergy/RK kits would you recommend to go with it? Also, the dual rate springs in the Superlift kit are apparently nice too, what's your opinion of that kit?
Shocks are so incredibly easy to install yourself. If you have any basic ability and tools you can do it. Two bolts each shock

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
In that same price range you can get the Synergy starter kit and a set of Fox 2.0's which I think is a better setup. Or someone posted a RK kit on here in that price range with shocks as well.
The only kit I've seen from Synergy is $1700+ without shocks, which kit are you referring to?

Sponsored

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The only kit I've seen from Synergy is $1700+ without shocks, which kit are you referring to?
It's on the website and called the starter system. $795. Right now Synergy has a 15% off sale through most resellers. Fox also has 15% off right now.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It's on the website and called the starter system. $795. Right now Synergy has a 15% off sale through most resellers. Fox also has 15% off right now.
Gotcha, found it, but now I'm even more lost. It says it's a 2" lift, which unless I'm crazy, means I need aftermarket "longer" shocks. But then I keep reading and it says this. So can I run the starter kit and Fox 2.0s and be done or do I have to run the stage one kit that's $1700+ not including shocks?

Screenshot_20200426-185542_Chrome.jpg

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Each manufacturer offers complete lifts and incomplete lifts, and they each describe them differently. 2.5” is 2.5”. The reality is if you don’t purchase a complete kit, you are making compromises and you have to decide your tolerance and comfort level.

The manufacturers offer different degrees of incomplete kits. They also each offer varying guidance.

Can you run stock length shocks on a lift? Sure, you just lose travel length. Can you get away without a trackbar? Sure, but the axle won’t be centered. Can you get away without adjustable control arms? Sure, but your steering will be flighty.

To be clear, a complete kit will consist of:

Shocks
Springs
Sway bar links
Adjustable control arms (minimum 4 of the 8, preferably all 8)
Adjustable trackbar in the front
Adjustable track bar in the rear or bracket
Bumpstop extensions

There are plenty of ancillary things that can be added to that.

Then you put big tires on and your steering feels like crap. So you buy aftermarket tie rod and drag link. Also your stock wheels aren’t wide enough and don’t have the correct backspacing for your new big tires so you buy new wheels. The parts hole you go down when modifying a vehicle is nearly bottomless.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Gotcha, found it, but now I'm even more lost. It says it's a 2" lift, which unless I'm crazy, means I need aftermarket "longer" shocks. But then I keep reading and it says this. So can I run the starter kit and Fox 2.0s and be done or do I have to run the stage one kit that's $1700+ not including shocks?

Screenshot_20200426-185542_Chrome.jpg
You can either install it with factory shocks and shock extender brackets, or you can use factory mount points with longer shocks - they list the ones to use without the extenders.

And the disclaimer is true. Ideally you want a front track bar, rear TB relocation or rear TB, and longer control arms to get castor to something reasonable. But this is the same for ANY 2" lift.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

Shocks
Springs
Sway bar links
Bumpstop extensions

There are plenty of ancillary things that can be added to that.
Oh wow, thanks so much, I was actually wondering what the no shit "complete" kit would consist of.

So if I decide not to spend that much and keep it simpler with say the Teraflex ST1, are all of those other supporting mods still required?

Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Oh wow, thanks so much, I was actually wondering what the no shit "complete" kit would consist of.

So if I decide not to spend that much and keep it simpler with say the Teraflex ST1, are all of those other supporting mods still required?
If you don’t want compromises, yes.

You seem to like Teraflex so I went and looked at their offerings.

If you did the ST2 kit and then purchased separately shock extensions and a front trackbar you would be in a good place with only limited compromises. TF has a good shock extension. Tons of companies offer good front trackbars.

I’d prioritize having enough parts to correct the main issues caused by lifting over having fancy shocks. The rubicon shocks aren’t terrible. Plus you can always do shocks later.

Where you may still run into trouble is if the Jeeps tie rod and drag link don’t hold up to big new tires. We’ve witnessed varying success there. You can cross that bridge later if necessary.

Rock Krawler and Metalcloak are where my money would be spent.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
If you don’t want compromises, yes.

You seem to like Teraflex so I went and looked at their offerings.

If you did the ST2 kit and then purchased separately shock extensions and a front trackbar you would be in a good place with only limited compromises. TF has a good shock extension. Tons of companies offer good front trackbars.

I’d prioritize having enough parts to correct the main issues caused by lifting over having fancy shocks. The rubicon shocks aren’t terrible. Plus you can always do shocks later.

Where you may still run into trouble is if the Jeeps tie rod and drag link don’t hold up to big new tires. We’ve witnessed varying success there. You can cross that bridge later if necessary.

Rock Krawler and Metalcloak are where my money would be spent.
Ok I see. I was trying to stay under two grand including labor, but even with ORW doing half off their labor costs it doesn't look like that'll be possible if I go Rock Krawler or Metalcloak. By the way, how is the ride quality of the RK and Metalcloak kits when compared to stock? I was also looking at the JKS kit since it comes with the adjustable front track bar. And as for Teraflex, that's just the brand I hear about most and what a couple buddies of mine swear by. I'm open to any brand that's good quality and doesn't make the ride too stiff as this is my DD. Thanks again for the advice, I wanna get this right the first time.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat

Shocks
Springs
Sway bar links
Bumpstop extensions.
All 8 control arms for sure. The stock arms bind up quick, no point in spending money on a bunch of expensive stuff just to cheap out elsewhere. So @Daywalker78 you should ask yourself what nobody else is, what exactly do you want? If you want 12" of shock travel you need everything Mark said plus a front driveshaft. If you want 10" of shock travel you just need a set of shocks and coil spacers. Anything in between is a waste of money unless you plan to build a full kit over time one component at a time.

OP
OP
Daywalker78

Daywalker78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
All 8 control arms for sure. The stock arms bind up quick, no point in spending money on a bunch of expensive stuff just to cheap out elsewhere. So @Daywalker78 you should ask yourself what nobody else is, what exactly do you want? If you want 12" of shock travel you need everything Mark said plus a front driveshaft. If you want 10" of shock travel you just need a set of shocks and coil spacers. Anything in between is a waste of money unless you plan to build a full kit over time one component at a time.
So, I'm glad you asked lol. Honestly, I probably will go off road maybe once a month, and I highly doubt I'll do any serious crawling, but I wouldn't totally rule it out either. So you're saying I could do a 1.5" spacer lift and new shocks and be done?

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
So, I'm glad you asked lol. Honestly, I probably will go off road maybe once a month, and I highly doubt I'll do any serious crawling, but I wouldn't totally rule it out either. So you're saying I could do a 1.5" spacer lift and new shocks and be done?
Well you don't necessarily need shocks either. You only do if you want 10" of shock travel, since the stock shocks are 8". That's why I'm curious what exactly you want. If you just want to get the thing a couple inches higher in the air, then a spacer lift that comes with bumps and shock extensions is all you need. If you want more articulation, ixnay on the shock extensions and do 10" shocks (usually billed as 2-3" or 2.5-4" lift shocks). If you want a lot more articulation, you need everything.
Sponsored