OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
What are some of the common issues that arise where one would need to execute using the warranty? Had a Flashcal I used from my JKU (I unmarried it before I sold the JKU so I just bought the gateway module) but considering picking this up, just curious if anyone has needed to exercise the warranty.
@conFUcius

It's unclear to me what you are talking about >>>>??

You talking about the $20 additional warranty on the Taser JL itself ?

As far as I'm concerned, $20 is cheap insurance (2 yr.) on a $300 electronic device that can chitt the bed, be damaged, be bricked, etc.....
Sponsored

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@conFUcius

It's unclear to me what you are talking about >>>>??

You talking about the $20 additional warranty on the Taser JL itself ?

As far as I'm concerned, $20 is cheap insurance (2 yr.) on a $300 electronic device that can chitt the bed, be damaged, be bricked, etc.....
Yes - I’m referring to the warranty. Just curious as to why a warranty would be necessary (other than peace of mind) and if anyone has exercised the standard 90 day warranty on a new Tazer.

Agree it’s cheap, I’m just not in the habit of buying a warranty and was curious if people have needed to exercise the warranty on a Tazer before I pull the trigger. The Flashcal does what I needed it to (recalibrated tire size and gear ratio) but the price point of the refurbished product peaked my interest for the additional features.

Some companies include an extended warranty (at no cost) to a refurbished product since the original may have had a deficiency/malfunction of some sort this requiring the manufacturer to refurbish it and sell it again.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes - I’m referring to the warranty. Just curious as to why a warranty would be necessary (other than peace of mind) and if anyone has exercised the standard 90 day warranty on a new Tazer.

Agree it’s cheap, I’m just not in the habit of buying a warranty and was curious if people have needed to exercise the warranty on a Tazer before I pull the trigger. The Flashcal does what I needed it to (recalibrated tire size and gear ratio) but the price point of the refurbished product peaked my interest for the additional features.

Some companies include an extended warranty (at no cost) to a refurbished product since the original may have had a deficiency/malfunction of some sort this requiring the manufacturer to refurbish it and sell it again.
@conFUcius

Usually electronic crapola of any kind, if it makes it through the first few days ....well, it lasts and lasts..

These Tazer JL refurbs, come with a 90 day warranty..... With that said, a guy/gal could brick the device, etc., after the 90 day warranty and be glad they purchased the $20 additional 2 yr. warranty.

I have followed the Tazer JL story for 3+ years now. I was a very early adopter..

Yes, over the last 3 yrs., I have seen say twice or so, guys reporting their Tazer JL, chitt the bed.
It's highly unusual though..

Joe at ZAutomotive, has always stood behind his product.

Not once in 3 years have I read here or on Facebook, etc., someone saying Joe did not.... say replace a problem unit, etc.. did not do the right thing.... did not provide top notch, personalized support.... or that he was not there for his customer..... his fellow JL owner's, 110%.

So, personal preference if you go for the original warranty. Can tell you that you will really like the Tazer JL. Tazer JL was "First to Market" and that programmer you already have can't touch a Tazer JL.

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I just order a refurbished one..

I need it to change the tpms threshold, adjust the tire size and fix a light out waring I'am getting from replacing the front fenders (OEM LED) to the Nemesis Industries ones with 3/4 Led Turn signals.

Also think the backup camera coming on with activation of the turn signals is pretty cool feature.

I just picked the standard warranty 90 days... no worries, I am sure it will be fine and comes from a reputable company.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Got my refurbished Tazer Mini in yesterday. Simple to install. For someone who has no prior experience with programmers and not a computer wizard by any stretch I would recommend having a laptop for the software and firmware updates. Looks like they support both Windows and Mac. I have a PC.
I went very slow through the setup menu and followed their instructions. I am very happy with results so far. I have an ‘18 JLUR with 8.4” touchscreen.

Here’s some of the highlights that I like:
I changed my tire size to 36.5 to match the diameter of my 37s.
I changed the TPMS warning threshold to 25 PSI so that I don’t get warnings running 30 PSI.
I can now use the keypad on the NAV while in-motion instead of waiting to come to a stop.
Turned off the seatbelt chime (I’m a big boy, I know when to wear my seatbelt),
Stop/start system remembers your last selection so if I have it turned off it will now remember that setting each time the Jeep is cranked up.
“TurnCam” - whenever the turn signal is used, the backup camera comes up on the display. Awesome! Very helpful on the interstate.
“Winch Mode” is a really cool feature. You can set an idle speed between 1300 and 2000 RPM. I went with 1400 for now. With the engine running, you can hit the left arrow on the steering wheel controls and the cruise control “Resume” button at the same time and it will engage winch mode. So the engine will idle at the pre-set RPM if you have winch mode enabled through the Tazer. I will likely end up using this every time I am winching. I’ve had situations where I’ve anchored my Jeep to a tree and then hooked the winch up to someone else to help get them out and I’m not even in the Jeep, but helping work the winch with one hand and have the winch controller in the other. It sounds very helpful so put the Jeep in park, turn on winch mode, and let it hold a higher idle speed until we are done with the recovery. Very cool feature if you ask me.
I’m assuming that the only “refurbished” part of the Tazer that I received was the scratch on the emblem but I have no idea. Everything seems to work fine. I did go ahead and purchase the $20 extended warranty. Why not? Still cheaper than a “new” one and appears to work just fine. Hope this helps.

Bonus: the kids think the light shows are cool and you can control them with the key fob.
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL Mini Refurbs 3770445E-A404-430E-8240-3A9A2AD8A478

Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL Mini Refurbs 1B34C63F-AEE7-4BBF-926E-BD21178E8BDF

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Will

Fogs on with High beams is another you should consider enabling....

In regard to "NAV while in-motion" ......

Always be sure to turn it off when you finish using and before you park and turn off your JL.

- I think Joe, still mentions this in the instructions.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@Will

Fogs on with High beams is another you should consider enabling....

In regard to "NAV while in-motion" ......

Always be sure to turn it off when you finish using and before you park and turn off your JL.

- I think Joe, still mentions this in the instructions.
I did turn off the fog light dropout when the high beams are engaged 👍

I didn’t catch that bit about the NAV in the instructions: so make sure the NAV is turned off before parking/turning off the Jeep? Will the NAV stay on or something and drain the battery?

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Will

IF, if you leave Nav in Motion on, you risk coming out to your JL in the morning and finding your battery(s) is dead.. Leave it on and there is a chance that UConnect could start rebooting during the night and run down he battery... also radio might reboot at start-up... (been there done that, got the t shirt)

Don't fear using Nav in Motion as it is nice to have.. Use it while driving/on your trip but do be sure to turn off when you get to your destination and before you turn-off / park the JL.

Will

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
@Will

IF, if you leave Nav in Motion on, you risk coming out to your JL in the morning and finding your battery(s) is dead.. Leave it on and there is a chance that UConnect could start rebooting during the night and run down he battery... also radio might reboot at start-up... (been there done that, got the t shirt)

Don't fear using Nav in Motion as it is nice to have.. Use it while driving/on your trip but do be sure to turn off when you get to your destination and before you turn-off / park the JL.
Thanks for the heads up, that’s good to know. However, my wife will 100% screw that up so I will leave it off for now unless I have a trip out to the boonies where Google Maps doesn’t have service.

Sponsored

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
Got mine yesterday. Looks brand new. Thank you again @Rhinebeck01 for this post. I owe you a beer.

OP
OP
Rhinebeck01

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Got mine yesterday. Looks brand new. Thank you again @Rhinebeck01 for this post. I owe you a beer.
@WilhelmSR

To me, a Tazer JL refurb, is same same as a "new" one.. A terrific unit backed by a guy/company that gives a darn.

For sure, these refurbs are a gold mine so to speak for the JLOwner / the Tazer JL buyer..

I was a very early adopter of the original, "First to Market" Tazer JL....... almost 3 yrs ago, I acquired my first Tazer JL. I have had a few ...

Since the get go, Joe has been particularly good to me, lets say. Actually he has been good to all the guys/gals here.. hos fellow JL owner's and customer's.

As for me, he gave me sneek peaks/tries at new firmware, hooked me up with the Tazer Mini before it started flying off the shelves so to speak and more....

SO, my posting info in regard to the Tazer JL and also Sales of same, etc., are a deed I do for two reasons... Paybacks so to speak to Joe and also to help out fellow JL owner's...

Glad I could save you some $ on a terrific unit.. You owe me no beer...
As they say at Chick fil-A... MY PLEASURE

FIRST TO MARKET !
Jeep Wrangler JL Tazer JL Mini Refurbs Capture- Back

jessedoesitall

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
Stuff
Vehicle Showcase
I ordered a refurbished mini. I have 2 other device that require OBDII access. With the Military discount, I basically got the warranty and the shipping free. Side note: does anyone know how to unmarry the superchips tuner?

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Went ahead and grabbed one plus the extended cable... time to sell my Flashcal, haha. :rock:
Sponsored