Sponsored

Original or Aftermarket windshield

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Driving on the highway a small rock cracked my windshield and it quickly spread. Now I need to replace the windshield but need advice whether to go original glass or aftermarket. Original is $500 installed while the aftermarket is $375 installed. Is there a difference between the 2 other than the little jeep on the corner of the original.
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Is the aftermarket option 'acoustic glass'? Any other difference between them that the installer can tell you about?

All else being equal I wouldn't think a little jeep in the corner would justify a $125 premium. But me being who I am would choose OEM for the negligible price difference. (No one ever accused me of being smart ;))

OP
OP
Robs JL

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Is the aftermarket option 'acoustic glass'? Any other difference between them that the installer can tell you about?

All else being equal I wouldn't think a little jeep in the corner would justify a $125 premium. But me being who I am would choose OEM for the negligible price difference. (No one ever accused me of being smart ;))
yeah it's acoustic. My gut says go OEM but my head says aftermarket.

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
yeah it's acoustic. My gut says go OEM but my head says aftermarket.
Always go with your gut! Then again I'm not paying for it so that's easy for me to say ;)

Sponsored

JJJEEEEEEPPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sport
just curious, doesnt insurance covers windshields ?
I got 2 replaced with insurance in 1 year LOL

JLJeepGuy513

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, 2016 Pathfinder
Occupation
Civil Engineering Designer
My deductible is $500. Got the window for less than that.
You might want to call them up to make sure the deductible applies....In Florida, i believe you can have it replaced 2 times a year without paying a deductible. I've had many replaced on different vehicles without ever paying a dime. Sometimes the replacement was for a tiny little chip. Its considered a safety hazard and thats why it doesn't apply here in Florida

Happos2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubi
Just had to replace mine a few months ago. Paid $350 for OEM glass installed (note I am in Indiana and not California - cheap Midwest has at least 1 benefit). I had USAA and they only cover chip repairs. Would have used my deductible for full windshield replacement which wasn't worth it.

OP
OP
Robs JL

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Just had to replace mine a few months ago. Paid $350 for OEM glass installed (note I am in Indiana and not California - cheap Midwest has at least 1 benefit). I had USAA and they only cover chip repairs. Would have used my deductible for full windshield replacement which wasn't worth it.
Wow $350....if it was that cheap in cali I would stock at least 5...LOL....out here cheapest I found was $475 installed. Aftermarket was $375 installed.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Robs JL

Robs JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Installer just left but my new window has a heated sensor in the windshield but my old one didn't. What's the new sensor for and why aren't windows available without them.
Sponsored