Sponsored

Orientation of Stock LED Fog Lights

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Need some help. I'm installing my stock LED fog lights into my Smitty XRC Gen 2 bumper. However, I cannot remember the orientation of the light as it has a top side and a bottom side. if you look at the light from the front, each has a gray plastic piece inside the lens that goes horizontally. Should this piece be at the top or bottom of the light?

I believe it's at the top but positioned this way, I cannot adjust the light beam high enough. If this is the orientation, I'll need to get creative with some washers/spacers on the top mounting holes to get the beam higher. Before I do, I just want to make sure I have the lights positioned correctly.

FYI...I did look for pics with the stock fog lights but did not find any that solved this issue.
Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Need some help. I'm installing my stock LED fog lights into my Smitty XRC Gen 2 bumper. However, I cannot remember the orientation of the light as it has a top side and a bottom side. if you look at the light from the front, each has a gray plastic piece inside the lens that goes horizontally. Should this piece be at the top or bottom of the light?

I believe it's at the top but positioned this way, I cannot adjust the light beam high enough. If this is the orientation, I'll need to get creative with some washers/spacers on the top mounting holes to get the beam higher. Before I do, I just want to make sure I have the lights positioned correctly.

FYI...I did look for pics with the stock fog lights but did not find any that solved this issue.
Gray piece should be on top - that's the cutoff so the lights don't shine too high and blind people.

IronScott

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara, 1992 Jeep YJ, 2002 Chevy Silverado
The plastic piece is at the top on mine. See pic.

E03FEC1F-E60A-40EF-86F5-A9EFA051A461.jpeg

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev

Plastic piece on top. I have the same bumper. Made the mistake of installing upside down...havent fixed yet cuz bumper is a PITA to install.

Sponsored

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Plastic piece on top. I have the same bumper. Made the mistake of installing upside down...havent fixed yet cuz bumper is a PITA to install.
I was actually going to use your pics to show OP what NOT to do, but didn't want to call you out like that. :giggle:

noloc45

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2004 IS300
Occupation
QA Engineer/RPA Dev
I was actually going to use your pics to show OP what NOT to do, but didn't want to call you out like that. :giggle:
Im a good sport. Gotta laugh at my own mistakes.

OP
OP
swimman

swimman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
The fog lights were the biggest pain in installing the Smitty XRC. I just finished with the fog lights and added some washers between the light housing and bumper mounts for the top screws that secure the light. This will project the beam higher, although not into the eyes of oncoming drivers. Will do a final adjustment when it's dark to confirm the aim.

I reversed the screws/nuts that hold the fog lights. The screw head is now facing forward and the nut is at the rear which makes it accessible with a socket. This was all made easier as I don't yet have a winch so access was not a problem. Also installed yellow Laminex on the fogs.
Sponsored