Sponsored

Ordering Strategery Advice Sought...

F.E.R

First Name
F.E.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OCEAN BLUE SAHARA JLU!!!; 2012 Honda Accord - gonzo!; 2016 Honda Odyssey; 2016 Toro TimeCutter SS 5000
Question / Feedback requested for ordering strategy. I'm most likely looking at ordering exactly what I want since the selection in my area isn't great. I'm settled on a couple or options:

1.) JLU Sport S in either Ocean Blue (first choice) or Charcoal (second choice). Must haves: auto / hard top / Tech Group / Alpine speakers / side steps / anti-slip diff / active safety / floor mats.

- OR -

2.) JL Rubicon in Mojito. Must haves: auto / active safety / hard top / Alpine speakers / floor mats.

My questions are:

* How transparent should I be in an email blast to dealers? Should I just send them a PDF of the Jeep.com configurator I want?
* I have access to "1% below invoice pricing" through my employer; while this can make the negotiation simpler, I know there are better deals to be had. Should I reveal that I have the 1% pricing or even try to set expectations of where I want to deal at?
* Similar to the above, should I take an opening position? I'm really wanting to start off at 7%-8% below invoice and hold to that as much as I can. A deal less than 5% below invoice isn't interesting to me.
* I have a PIF car to trade in. Should I include this in my initial communication or just focus on getting the best OTD price and *then* work the trade-in into the mix?
* Any other advice / strategies for getting a good response rate? I'm located in Middle TN if that helps.
Sponsored

SM1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending...
When I tried this strategy, I put together an email for local dealers detailing the options, option codes, invoice price, and MSRP of each option and then the total. I shopped this email to 10+ local dealers and for me none of them were really willing to do much for me. Koons offered me 5% under but with their $699 doc fee. I ended up using Kent at Stampede out in Idaho, which came back at the best price by far, and I will be flying out to pick up my JLUS once it's done. It makes the trade essentially impossible, so I am selling my car locally, but the deal was worth it to me.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
You are on the right track.

The best strategy is to start worth one of the no-haggle prices advertised on this site or in the Best Deals thread that are 5% below invoice or below. Pick the dealer closest to you and request a quote.

Than go back to your original plan and in the email tell them you have a quote at x% below invoice already but you would prefer to stay local and you are looking for competitive quotes.

I also personally believe you should mention up front you have an AR code.

I wouldn’t bring in the trade or financing until after you have initial quotes.

I would be very specific about what you want in rheir response. Otherwise they will just send you a response that says they have lots of Jeeps and ask you to come in and talk to a salesperson.

Expect that if you send this out to 10 dealerships only 2 or 3 will even respond with a quote.

Good luck!

Warpath

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler 2.0T JLR 2-Door, 2020 GT500
I would call. This way they you seem like a much warmer lead than an email. Tell them your option codes and have them give you the best out the door price. They can give you 5% below all day long, but if they tack on fees, you could be driving off the lot $500 above invoice. Once you made contact you can transition to email for correspondences.

OP
OP

F.E.R

First Name
F.E.R.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 OCEAN BLUE SAHARA JLU!!!; 2012 Honda Accord - gonzo!; 2016 Honda Odyssey; 2016 Toro TimeCutter SS 5000
When I tried this strategy, I put together an email for local dealers detailing the options, option codes, invoice price, and MSRP of each option and then the total. I shopped this email to 10+ local dealers and for me none of them were really willing to do much for me. Koons offered me 5% under but with their $699 doc fee. I ended up using Kent at Stampede out in Idaho, which came back at the best price by far, and I will be flying out to pick up my JLUS once it's done. It makes the trade essentially impossible, so I am selling my car locally, but the deal was worth it to me.
Thanks. I have to admit, I thought you were nuts to be getting a Jeep from Idaho when you're in PA...but then I looked at some of the prices and I stand corrected. Still a heck of a haul, though.

Sponsored

SM1

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pending...
Thanks. I have to admit, I thought you were nuts to be getting a Jeep from Idaho when you're in PA...but then I looked at some of the prices and I stand corrected. Still a heck of a haul, though.
Fair. About half of my friends think I'm nuts, the other half are jealous of the road trip. They're probably all right.

HoWink

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Retired
I agree with all the good advice above. I'd add a couple of suggestions: Whether through test driving or other research, decide on your exact build before you price shop. Negotiating a price and then changing the order makes the process way too complicated. Also, don't get hung up on the price/cost of individual options or fees. From the dealer's perspective, it's all about the bottom line sales price. That includes doc fees and other mystery fees. If you start with a 5%-6% below invoice quote (with low doc fee) from an out-of-state dealer in your hand, your local dealer can simply decide whether he will meet it or come close. Then it's up to you to decide whether to take his best offer or do the road trip. That's the approach I took this week in Atlanta and just yesterday ordered from a local dealer who price matched an out-of-state offer.

Good luck!

HoWink
Sponsored