BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
I have to say I agree with @Adv_aw8s in that AEV has done their R&D

As long as I’m only doing a mild build, maybe up to 37”s - I’d get them again. I feel like their system works well. The deal with the diesel, I expect they’ll eventually get sorted out.

In Moab with @B_AIRS I was really impressed with his MC kit. I think it (& RK & Clayton) are next level lifts and overkill for what I intend to do. If I was going to do something where I thought the factory axle might need to be beefed up, bigger tires, required a regear, or doing crazy trails, then AEV probably wouldn’t be a good fit.
Sponsored

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
I too have the AEV 2.5 with the AEV SS on 37's.
On road it's great, off road is good, but be mindful it will not offer as much flex as other kits.
I drive over 600 miles round trip on road to get the solitude and trails I enjoy, so on road performance did weigh into my decision.
It also handles weight very well when loaded out.
I am happy with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering soon: 2.5 AEV RT Lift plus components, let me know what you think tempImageBfajOk

Adv_aw8s

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon diesel
Clubs

Awesome, thanks for letting me know you are on the stock bars and no adjustable front. If your buddies did the Rubicon on an AEV setup then I'm good to go👌

Feedback like this makes me feel better about the money I'm about to commit. 😁
For reference and truth be told when your wife drives it and says it rides better and drives better than stock you know you made the right choice and trust me you will still be able to wheel the piss out of it!

jack bauer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 3.6
Occupation
Finance
For reference and truth be told when your wife drives it and says it rides better and drives better than stock you know you made the right choice and trust me you will still be able to wheel the piss out of it!
This man speaks the truth!

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I have to say I agree with @Adv_aw8s in that AEV has done their R&D

As long as I’m only doing a mild build, maybe up to 37”s - I’d get them again. I feel like their system works well. The deal with the diesel, I expect they’ll eventually get sorted out.

In Moab with @B_AIRS I was really impressed with his MC kit. I think it (& RK & Clayton) are next level lifts and overkill for what I intend to do. If I was going to do something where I thought the factory axle might need to be beefed up, bigger tires, required a regear, or doing crazy trails, then AEV probably wouldn’t be a good fit.
Hey thanks for this perspective. Yeah I'm primarily on road, exploration and relatively mild to moderate trails.

That's why I am choosing 35s and staying there, especially with the 6 speed manual I have.

And the wife approved the lift and tires so has to be nice for her to drive 😊

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thanks for the feedback and gotcha on the brackets getting hammered when coming off the ledge. Those lca's took a beating.

If you has to do it all over again. Would you still choose AEV or go with Clayton kit like the 1.5 Overland kit and falcon shocks?
I would definitely skip the Falcon shocks. Get some custom-tuned Fox shocks from Accutune.

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
I too have the AEV 2.5 with the AEV SS on 37's.
On road it's great, off road is good, but be mindful it will not offer as much flex as other kits.
I drive over 600 miles round trip on road to get the solitude and trails I enjoy, so on road performance did weigh into my decision.
It also handles weight very well when loaded out.
I am happy with it.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering soon: 2.5 AEV RT Lift plus components, let me know what you think C16AB3BF-A60A-4D3C-95A3-51873C8A46B3
Beautiful Jeep Jack!

My nearest trails are about 150miles out so for me onroad performance is paramou t and as long as it can hold its own offroad I'm good.

Plus the loading up with weight handling dynamics. Super important on family trips and when my better half drives.

OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Lol thanks!😁😎

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I think it’s funny that nobody talks much about the on road characteristics of Metalcloak and Rock Krawler. They both handle much better than stock on road and destroy the competition off road. The trail recon video is just plain silly as it’s one dude’s subjective opinion. More importantly the more you drive off-road the faster those factory arms will get destroyed. Most quality aftermarket control arms are rebuildable for relatively cheap.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I did look at the Clayton Performance 1.5 inch kit. Main issue I had was it was 2,400+ before you include the Fox shocks which puts it closer to 3k.

The AEV kit is running about 1,500 all in. Haven't really looked at Metalcloak or RK. Will check them out as a sanity check before pulling the trigger. Thanks.
Not trying to talk you out of AEV, but @River City Offroad has this kit on sale, you can pair with RK RRD TT shocks and be close to the same price as AEV but you get adjustable track bar, and adjustable lcas…..

Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering soon: 2.5 AEV RT Lift plus components, let me know what you think FCE76C6F-2E34-4772-9597-2529C2C1CD16

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it’s funny that nobody talks much about the on road characteristics of Metalcloak and Rock Krawler. They both handle much better than stock on road and destroy the competition off road. The trail recon video is just plain still as it’s one dude’s subjective opinion. More importantly the more you drive off-road the faster those factory arms will get destroyed. Most quality aftermarket control arms are rebuildable for relatively cheap.
Thats a fair point but I do think TR did a fairly good job comparing lifts. It is unfortunate Metalcloak wasn't represented though.

Sure it’s his opinion but I don’t think many people have the opportunity to do a comparison like that, back to back, all at the same time, with so few variables.

Besides that, I think there will always be compromises with lift kits. They can optimize for off-road capability, on-road performance, load capacity, low cost, etc.

TR ranked the AEV kit “best” on road, “good” off-road, and runner up for “best value”. I think that’s fairly accurate and it suits my needs. If I lived in Utah or Colorado, I’d probably let Roky talk me into an RK kit.

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Thats a fair point but I do think TR did a fairly good job comparing lifts. It is unfortunate Metalcloak wasn't represented though.

Sure it’s his opinion but I don’t think many people have the opportunity to do a comparison like that, back to back, all at the same time, with so few variables.

Besides that, I think there will always be compromises with lift kits. They can optimize for off-road capability, on-road performance, load capacity, low cost, etc.

TR ranked the AEV kit “best” on road, “good” off-road, and runner up for “best value”. I think that’s fairly accurate and it suits my needs. If I lived in Utah or Colorado, I’d probably let Roky talk me into an RK kit.
Sure but 5 different guys would rank them 5 different ways given the same circumstances. Optimized for off-road doesn’t necessarily mean less optimized on road. The RK kits perform better on road than the Mopar lift. Track bars, brackets and proper caster make a huge difference. I haven’t personally driven a Jeep with the AEV kit. I’m sure the geo brackets make a difference on road, but they wouldn’t last one trip for me off-road. Eventually I’ll be on long arms so it will be the best of both worlds.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rubi6mt

Rubi6mt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 6mt
Hey all,

Thanks again for all your input. I pulled the trigger today and ordered the following (you should see the smoke coming out of my CC lol):
  • AEV 2.5" Dual Sport RT lift kit
  • AEV steering damper
  • AEV Salta XR wheels in satin black
  • BF Goodrich K02 315/70/17's Load C range
  • Yeti Steer smarts HD adjustable front track bar: to center the front axle
  • Teraflex Alpha HD adjustable tire carrier: to ensure clearance
  • Tazer Lite: for speedometer calibration (and possibly for regearing if I want to do that further down the road)
  • AEV EX front bumper
  • AEV 7000 front led lights
  • Warn Zeon 10s winch
  • Yukon 4.88 gears
  • AEV front/rear diff covers
I appreciate all the input and took all points for and against AEV. For my purposes it suited the best (time will tell).

Best part is that the install will happen in two stages. First the lift and tires (Aug 10-11) and then the bumper/winch/4.88 gears (Sept 13-14).

Why? I have 3 wheeling trips planned. First one in 2 weeks bone stock up in Ellenville NY. 2nd one to AOAA on August 19 so i can test the suspension lift and tires with 4.10 gears. 3rd one in October to test with the added weight of the front bumper and winch along with 4.88 gears (Rausch Creek)

Look forward to sharing my feedback!
Sponsored