Sponsored

Ordering: Rubi vs Rubi XR

Buster1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘51 M38
Hello folks, I’m new here and getting ready to order a new JL and I need some advice. I’ve pretty much decided on either a Rubicon or Rubicon XR (both 3.6L).

For me, this Jeep will be a daily driver. I don’t foresee much off-roading, but a little bit from time to time. I may need to tow a small landscape trailer occasionally, or possibly the ‘51 M38 (TBD). I LOVE the look of the XR, but I’m thinking it might just be overkill for me. But I love the look and the bigger brakes and the gearing sounds better too. This Jeep will get some highway time as well with my daily commute and kids and family scattered all around TX and OK.

What are some of the real world facts, figures, concerns, etc with either of these two models in comparison? If you have one, do you wish you had the other? How do I decide on the XR or not!? What are the disadvantages of the XR?

Thank you!
Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering: Rubi vs Rubi XR 697D1DE4-A21E-42F3-8DE1-7840769DF243
Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering: Rubi vs Rubi XR 1E1A6F74-D270-43E2-A6D3-9D043CC98038
Sponsored

J1337P

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon JLUD
Sounds like for your use case ordering the non-XR would be the best option unless it’s just purely aesthetic. I didn’t go XR because…. Well Diesel, and, I wanted bigger tires and if you are paying for the XR package it felt a bit silly to start swapping parts.

the non-XR is more than capable for a bit of off-roading and highway comfort.

just my opinion

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

As cool as the XR package looks, it doesn't sound like it would really benefit you at all, from a comfort/cost standpoint, based on your needs.

You would be totally justified in skipping the XR package.

BlackGenesis

First Name
Andrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Sahara unlimited
You can make your wrangler look better for less without choosing XR package. Your offroading use seem to be fine with just a base model, but if you going for all of the bells and horns and just incase mentality, Rubicon will do more then you ever need.

With 4.1 gear and 8 speed, you would not have issues pulling

Sponsored

wranglernoob2019

First Name
GT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 19 Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
Ive owned both - You are going to pay a bit more at the pump with XR. More like 17 mpgs (give or take )- whereas Rubi gives around 19 mpg (give or take). XR sits noticeably taller and rides a bit smoother than regular Rubi. I found regular Rubi to be a bit peppy and zippier like a car. XR is 100% truck feel. You can't go wrong with either of them - pick one, you wont have regrets. They both are incredible

Super

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JK, 2022 JL
Vehicle Showcase
Ive owned both - You are going to pay a bit more at the pump with XR. More like 17 mpgs (give or take )- whereas Rubi gives around 19 mpg (give or take). XR sits noticeably taller and rides a bit smoother than regular Rubi. I found regular Rubi to be a bit peppy and zippier like a car. XR is 100% truck feel. You can't go wrong with either of them - pick one, you wont have regrets. They both are incredible
I think this is spot-on, but I will say that driving an XR isn't nearly as bad as driving a full sized pickup truck.

LCW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(formerly '22 JLUR) '23 Bronco Badlands 2dr 2.7
I own a 2021 JLUR that I bought in September 2020, long before the XR was available. The only thing I wish I had from the XR is the 4.56 gearing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering: Rubi vs Rubi XR C28DB258-FAF6-4B06-A104-EB5C27C5326B
What tailgate reinforcement kit is that?

Sponsored

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Hello folks, I’m new here and getting ready to order a new JL and I need some advice. I’ve pretty much decided on either a Rubicon or Rubicon XR (both 3.6L).

For me, this Jeep will be a daily driver. I don’t foresee much off-roading, but a little bit from time to time. I may need to tow a small landscape trailer occasionally, or possibly the ‘51 M38 (TBD). I LOVE the look of the XR, but I’m thinking it might just be overkill for me. But I love the look and the bigger brakes and the gearing sounds better too. This Jeep will get some highway time as well with my daily commute and kids and family scattered all around TX and OK.

What are some of the real world facts, figures, concerns, etc with either of these two models in comparison? If you have one, do you wish you had the other? How do I decide on the XR or not!? What are the disadvantages of the XR?

Thank you!
GET THE XR WITHOUT A DOUBT!!!!!! I'm kicking myself that I didn't. For the cost, you get A LOT! When I got my Rubicon, I had a dilemma.

Bronco
4Runner
Jeep

I ended up going Jeep and said, "If I got the 4Runner, I'll need a lift and 33s. If I just get the JLUR, I'll have that lift, I'll have those 33s, I'll have EVERYTHING I could ever want for my overland/offroad/daily driver vehicle."

Now I'm considering 37s. I probably won't go that route, I'll probably go 2.5" lift on my JLUR and 35s but.... I'm still considering it. I work full remote now so a daily driver isn't commuting me.

Anyway, if I could go back and do it again, I would absolutely get the XR (and still the 2.0 because I love this motor). I'm pricing out lifts and wheels and rubber and brakes and all that crap and it's going to come in MUCH higher than the $4k it would have cost me to just do XR.

firedude

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Rubicon XR 392 Stingray
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired firefighter
XR package is a bargain. The only things I really wanted from it was gears and front axle. I can sell the rest and get money back if wanted.

richk225

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392Rubicon XR 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
retired due to broken back
I can speak or the 3 JLUR`s that I have owned
2018 Rubicon V-6 Non Etorque engine and 4:10 gearing and a 8 speed auto and it suited my every need except for the steering, which leads me to the next 2 Rubicons I have bought

2021 392 Rubicon 3:73 gearing and it rode too soft in my opinion and the nose would dive down big time it you went heavy on the brakes and would squat down when you really got on it. I had changed the tires from 33'`s to 35'`s before I even picked it up

The next was a 2021 392 XR and it is like a totally different Jeep compared to the first 392. The Jeep had the stock 35'`s taken off and swapped out with same brand but 37". The biggest overall gain is in the gearing., a 4:56 ratio is actually set up for this size tire according to the gearing charts. By all means it is not easy on the wallet when it`s time to fill it up but I did not buy it for the fuel mileage.
I would bet that with the 4 or V-6 with the gearing and 35" plus tires would be a great combination
It all comes down to what you need and what you may need. If you find yourself towing more the gearing alone will make a huge difference. It`s just like steel bumpers, why buy them if you plan on changing the factory ones out. I would suggest you take one of each for a test ride and see how it feels to you. Like people have mentioned on this forum, if you want to change your gearing later because of a larger camper of taller tires it is going to cost a decent amount of money. Same with the tires, the Rubicon has 33`s on it where the XR has the 35`s and if you think the selling of your stock 33`s is going to bring you a lot of money to offset the price of 35`s you will be surprised how cheap they sell for. You can buy the flare extensions once they are off back order.
For me it was a no brainier to go with the XR package even though I could do all of the work myself but then you have to consider what will it do to your warranty. It checked off all of the box`es for me and just think about the future if your going to tow more or go on long road trips where you will use more fuel

007.JPG

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I own a 2021 JLUR that I bought in September 2020, long before the XR was available. The only thing I wish I had from the XR is the 4.56 gearing.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering: Rubi vs Rubi XR 007.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering: Rubi vs Rubi XR 007.JPG
I like your black hinges. Did you do that to combat corrosion issues or just for looks?
Sponsored