First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys, 2022 JL Willys Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hello everyone, and hopes everything is ok. Need some advice for choosing a new JL or used JK. After two to three years, I might be selling this vehicle, so the main goal is to retain the resale value. I am not looking for extreme off-road, and this Jeep will be around on pavement about 80%.

I planned to do a factory order, get a sport, two doors, 6M, maybe put on some big tires and lift kit. However, after consulting with Granger Motor's accessories manager, it will be over $38000, perhaps $40,000 for OTD and tires, parts' installation. In the meantime, I found an extremely low milage JK 75th anniversary edition in perfect condition. However, the OTD price is around $39,000; I know the used market is crazy, but this is too much for a used car IMO, not to mention there is no warranty and free oil change on it(Thank god Jeep Wave).

Someone may say there is no backup camera and new gens infotainment system on JK, but honestly, I don't mind. So what do you guys think? Which one retains the best value? A new JL with lift kit, big ass tires, or five years old JK 75th anniversary edition with extremely low mileage?

Thanks!
Leon,
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
That seems way too much for a used vehicle, the used market is crazytown right now. I'd find a good below invoice dealer and try an order through them to see what you get. I get the thrill of the manual, but the new autos are pretty smooth.

Deleted member 59498

You have a Willy JL why not just upgrade it if everything is there you want.

OP
OP
bio86250

bio86250

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

That seems way too much for a used vehicle, the used market is crazytown right now. I'd find a good below invoice dealer and try an order through them to see what you get. I get the thrill of the manual, but the new autos are pretty smooth.
I drove both JK and JL's stick shift. They both nice but gotta say I prefer JL's one, the clutch is light and easier to control.

Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

I would for sure go JL route, I have the 6m and like it great deal. Has been great. I had a JK and JL and like the JL much more.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
When Carvana wants original MSRP on a 18 JK Recon 2door at $42k and a new comparably equipped 21 Rubicon 4 door stickers at just over $50, it's a no brainer. Once the engineers figure out how the workaround on the chip issues, someone is going to be left holding the bag, whether it's the dealers that are paying too much for used inventory, the guy buying a used car at todays prices and trying to trade it 18 months from now and finding out he was caught in the Tulip Bubble. Order the new one. That's what I did.

OP
OP
bio86250

bio86250

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I would for sure go JL route, I have the 6m and like it great deal. Has been great. I had a JK and JL and like the JL much more.
I agree! JL has new tech and better steering, some design is damn good such as 2 doors rear seat, it got straps so when I fold it up I can tight it at B pillar. But the JK 75th's got some special design like the bumper, it is so sexy.
Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering new JL or picking up used JK 1642452842076

Sponsored

OP
OP
bio86250

bio86250

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

When Carvana wants original MSRP on a 18 JK Recon 2door at $42k and a new comparably equipped 21 Rubicon 4 door stickers at just over $50, it's a no brainer. Once the engineers figure out how the workaround on the chip issues, someone is going to be left holding the bag, whether it's the dealers that are paying too much for used inventory, the guy buying a used car at todays prices and trying to trade it 18 months from now and finding out he was caught in the Tulip Bubble. Order the new one. That's what I did.
I know used car bubble is going to burst in sometime. That's why I am holding my hand, $38000 for a 5 yrs old JK is too much even for special edition.

Hennessey17

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport
Normally Iā€™m a used car buyerā€¦ but with Wrangers you absolutely want to buy a new one. Not even a question to me. Especially in this buying environment.

If you order, you can still get thousands under MSRP.

Buying a used Wrangler, there isnā€™t much depreciation in a normal situation. But right nowā€¦ Iā€™m seeing used Wranglers going for more money than new. And you donā€™t know what the previous owner did with it.

BUY NEW!!!

TheBirdie72

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Freedom Edition 2 Door
If you find a nice new wrangler on a dealer lot you want, but the dealer tries to rip you off like a slime ballā€¦ Walk away. Then try this:

Have a friend go to dealer lot and take it for a test drive, and leave the salesman behind. Have them take it out for at least three hours to the worst, god-foresaken mud pit you can find, and drive it around until the vehicle color is nothing but a dark shade of mud. Feel free to crack the windows occasionally just to make sure some gets inside. Make sure you put at least 100 miles on it, even if you have to put it up on blocks and leave a brick on the gas petal. Then have them return it, and walk away saying they will ā€œthink about it.ā€

Then, after the dealer goes to the effort of cleaning it all up and putting it back on the lot, do it again with a different friend. Repeat as necessary.

Then, once the vehicle has at least 300 miles on it and their detailing crew is fed up with cleaning the same one over and over, walk in, take for a short test drive, act excited, and offer them at least 5% less than the original price you wanted. Tell them that the mileage of the vehicle ā€œseems highā€ for a new vehicle, but you will ā€œtake it off their handsā€ if they play ball. Then drive away with your new vehicle, go pick up all the friends that helped you, and go mudding like you would anyway!šŸ‘

And if that doesnā€™t work and they donā€™t come down in price, just keep sending more ā€œfriendsā€ in for test drives. Youā€™ll get it eventually.šŸ˜ˆ

dchemphill1

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Rubicon Recon
Occupation
School Administrator
Don't get excited about free oil changes....you may get an extra quart overfill in that free change! I would go new...way too much for used! āœŒ

OP
OP
bio86250

bio86250

First Name
Leon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Normally Iā€™m a used car buyerā€¦ but with Wrangers you absolutely want to buy a new one. Not even a question to me. Especially in this buying environment.

If you order, you can still get thousands under MSRP.

Buying a used Wrangler, there isnā€™t much depreciation in a normal situation. But right nowā€¦ Iā€™m seeing used Wranglers going for more money than new. And you donā€™t know what the previous owner did with it.

BUY NEW!!!
Place a factory order seems to be a logical option. Thanks for your advice
Sponsored