Ordering my first Jeep. Any advise?

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Thank you for taking time to price that out. I’m wondering I would miss being able to take the top off completely? I’m also concerned about the power top breaking? I“ll really give it some thought.
No problem! I've been researching the past few months and wound up ordering a Willys with Sky last week. Currently I have an 18 hard top, lease is up next month. The freedom top is fine, gives you some sense of the open feel, and pretty easy to take off. The past few years I took the entire top off maybe 5 times? It's not an easy thing to do, obviously you need 2 strong people.
Researching the sky top I was hard pressed to find a forum where someone said they regretted it, usually the total opposite. I had the same concern as you, wondered if it would give the true open air feel. Wound up going to the dealer and tried one out on the lot, my decision was locked in instantly after that. The top goes back past and behind the rear passenger, the top width opening is maybe 95% the same as taking the entire top off? The fact you can go essentially topless with the press of 1 button means you can literally use it daily. Plus I personally think the body painted hard top is a much nicer look.
Sponsored

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
Obviously your not going to be able to remove the Skytop, going 100% topless is your circumstance and preference.

If the 80th had the sky top available, I would have bought it. I got the dual top instead and I will buy a TopLift Pro for about $1k on top of that. Our Jeep will probably never go 100% topless, I will just fold back the soft top.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
Obviously your not going to be able to remove the Skytop, going 100% topless is your circumstance and preference.

If the 80th had the sky top available, I would have bought it. I got the dual top instead and I will buy a TopLift Pro for about $1k on top of that. Our Jeep will probably never go 100% topless, I will just fold back the soft top.
Dual top was my original choice too on my Willys until I priced it out. 2500 for dual + 2000 for 8.4 and radio was $300 more than the sky which included basically all this plus body painted top. Obviously not exactly the same, the rear frame doesn't come off etc. Sky was just something I never considered until I broke the package down and compared. Either way can't go wrong!

mlkmet88

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Wrangler JKU Sport
Truly recommend tow package even if all you need is hitch since you get the Aux switches and beefier battery. All Wranglers comes with review camera so do you need safety sensors in back?

OP
OP

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Camry SE. ‘14 Odyssey EX-L
Truly recommend tow package even if all you need is hitch since you get the Aux switches and beefier battery. All Wranglers comes with review camera so do you need safety sensors in back?
I think the “safety group“ might be required if ordering the ”advanced safety package“. I’ll check it out.

Sponsored

ChristianrSRU

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be : '21 Sport Altitude JLU
I think the “safety group“ might be required if ordering the ”advanced safety package“. I’ll check it out.
it is. dealer confirmed that yesterday with me. decided to do without the safety package(s)

KarlN

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited 4XE
Occupation
Retired
It is, but love the speed compensated cruise and auto high beams when on long drives...just depends how you use it. suspension etc. can be changed but adding building in technology later is super hard if even possible. I left the leather behind for the tech...Even leather can be added later

OP
OP

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is, but love the speed compensated cruise and auto high beams when on long drives...just depends how you use it. suspension etc. can be changed but adding building in technology later is super hard if even possible. I left the leather behind for the tech...Even leather can be added later
That’s the route I’m taking too.
I think I’m ready to put my order in tomorrow.

OP
OP

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered my Jeep today! So Stoked!

Kent at Peterson Jeep in Idaho is the best.
Sponsored