Ordering my first Jeep. Any advise?

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘15 Camry SE. ‘14 Odyssey EX-L
I am stoked to order my first Jeep real soon, possibly tomorrow or the next day. It’ll be a daily driver and would like to hit some trails on the weekends occasionally. Here is my game plan.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willy
2.0 Turbo - auto
Firecracker Red
Black 3 piece hard top
Selec-Trac
Cold weather group
Safety group
Adv safety group
Convenience group
8.4” radio and premium audio
Tech group

I loaded up on safety features with having a teen driver just around the corner.
Opted out of tow package I’ll add a hitch later for a bike rack etc.
Added Selec-Trac to make the Jeep as versatile as possible for less than $600 - seems like a good value to me.

Might add some Rubi springs and spacers later for a slight bump in ride height.
Maybe move to 33’s when the factory tires are done

MSRP: $49300. Sale price: $44400 + tax (it’s as low as I could get it)

I welcome your feedback and collective wisdom.
Sponsored

Original J Dub

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former YJ and JK...Current CJ and JL
A couple of things...if you're special ordering, order it the way you want it...you'll always be happy with it.

The only thing I might reconsider is getting the tow package. Most get the tow package for the factory installed auxiliary switches. Those can be installed later, but not without some effort. To me it's worth it. Plus you get a larger alternator and (I think, but I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me) bigger brakes.

Other than that enjoy the process of ordering a vehicle made just for you!

OP
OP

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple of things...if you're special ordering, order it the way you want it...you'll always be happy with it.

The only thing I might reconsider is getting the tow package. Most get the tow package for the factory installed auxiliary switches. Those can be installed later, but not without some effort. To me it's worth it. Plus you get a larger alternator and (I think, but I could be wrong and I'm sure someone will correct me) bigger brakes.

Other than that enjoy the process of ordering a vehicle made just for you!
Thanks for chiming in

Sponsored

rfm8os

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2022 Cadillac CT-5 V
I agree with @Original J Dub, if there's anything you think you might want but decided not to include for cost, consider getting it anyway.

I, for example, regret not getting the steel bumper group with LED headlights on my 2020 JLUR. I thought I would save the money and maybe upgrade the bumper later and wouldn't need the LEDs, but realize now I prefer the mopar steel bumper to any aftermarket ones I have seen and the stock lights are really poor so now I have to shell out to get those things aftermarket when they could have been built into my payment.

Adam 4248

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLS
Yes, get the extended warranty for sure. If you use it just once (very likely IMO) it will pay for itself. Take a while to look at the issues/ repair/ warranty/ recall forum; it’s an eye opener. Plus you will learn some quirks like most of the windshield defroster vents do not work. Drive the Jeep before accepting it; look for dead spots/ play in the steering, shifting problems, also make sure the transfer case will shift into 4H & 4 L (I bet you will be surprised by how much force is required to shift into 4wd)

OP
OP

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, get the extended warranty for sure. If you use it just once (very likely IMO) it will pay for itself. Take a while to look at the issues/ repair/ warranty/ recall forum; it’s an eye opener. Plus you will learn some quirks like most of the windshield defroster vents do not work. Drive the Jeep before accepting it; look for dead spots/ play in the steering, shifting problems, also make sure the transfer case will shift into 4H & 4 L (I bet you will be surprised by how much force is required to shift into 4wd)
Planning on going with GEICO mechanical breakdown coverage - very cheap for decent coverage from what I can gather.

rikity

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon Unlimited
A couple things. I agree with the LED lights, get them. I dont like aftermarket ones and the OEM ones are extremely expensive to add after the fact. I like the trailer tow package for $716, you get the receiver, upgraded battery, wiring, aux switches and a 240 amp alternator. You cant do that for that kind of money after the fact.

I dont know if this is temporary or not, but it doesnt look like I can add: Savety, Advanced Safety, LED Lighting, Tech group, 8.4 radio to the Willys package, you can add it to the Sport S though. Sometimes we get restricted from certain options but generally the checkboxes are grayed out, the options just arent even present on the order screen when I pick Willys.

Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
add the proximity locks. They are cheap over the long haul and it beats fucking around with the fob all the time.

LED in my opinion are a must order.

BDinTX

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon Recon, 2021 JLU Rubicon
Definitely wish I’d gotten the auxiliary switches and tow package from the factory. I think you’re really going to love your Jeep (I do ours). I also take pretty good care of my vehicles and my experience has been that teenagers do not. Ours has been in a three minor accidents, constantly replacing tires, and by some miracle has only gotten one speeding ticket. All in her own car. So you might consider going the same route we did - saying you will NEVER drive my Jeep!!! Get them clunker to destroy, I mean drive, instead.

OP
OP

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
add the proximity locks. They are cheap over the long haul and it beats fucking around with the fob all the time.

LED in my opinion are a must order.
LEDs come standard on Willys (not Willy Sport), so I should be good to go.

sk00pie

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Willys
LEDs come standard on Willys (not Willy Sport), so I should be good to go.
Try re-configuring with the Sun and Sky package. It includes the 8.4 screen plus the premium audio. Also obviously a body painted top plus the power top. Sky package + all the options you listed comes out to about 49,950 vs the 49,300 you're currently at. May be worth considering all the extras for a not a big jump in pay.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering my first Jeep. Any advise? 1614265158065

OP
OP

HHDUTCHMAN

First Name
Hylke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Try re-configuring with the Sun and Sky package. It includes the 8.4 screen plus the premium audio. Also obviously a body painted top plus the power top. Sky package + all the options you listed comes out to about 49,950 vs the 49,300 you're currently at. May be worth considering all the extras for a not a big jump in pay.

Jeep Wrangler JL Ordering my first Jeep. Any advise? 1614265158065
Thank you for taking time to price that out. I’m wondering I would miss being able to take the top off completely? I’m also concerned about the power top breaking? I“ll really give it some thought.
Sponsored