Sponsored

Ordering a 392 as a first time Jeep owner.

placeisthespace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Hi all. Apologies if this is the wrong forum for these questions, but I planning to put in an order on a 392 as a first time Jeep owner.

1) How is the exhaust drone noise on the highway with the baffles closed and hard top? Does it get annoying? Could you have a phone conversation?
2) I plan to put a bike and ski rack on the rear. Does the 392 come with a hitch or do I need to purchase the RV tow package just for that? The build sheet only mentions "MOPAR RV TOW HARNESS XPW".
3) Related to #2, do I need to purchase a hitch extender to use with a bike rack due to the spare wheel?
4) Are there any reliability gremlins with the 392? From what I gather, it seems pretty good so far.
5) Am I going to regret not ordering the soft one touch since it's not available with anvil and that is the color I have my sights on. I live in the PNW, so driving without a top would usually be relegated to a couple months of the year.
6) How good are the stock tires when in the snow and ice? We go skiing most weekends in the winter and it requires driving up snowy/icy mountain passes.

thanks!
Sponsored

commbubba19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 392
Occupation
IT
1: no drone. there's more wind noise than anything else. if you want as little noise as possible for long commutes stick with the standard hard top.
2: make sure you get the factory tow package
3: possibly
4: yes, some. hemi tick. lifter failure. cold start squeak. coolant reservoir failures. horrible mpg. - however all these issues are not as common as it may appear. most are solid with high miles.
5: that's personal preference. it's a complicated system and is louder than the standard hard top. can leak, fail to operate, etc. you can get sunrider soft tops for just the front panels of the hardtop or go dual top so you can swap between full soft top and hard top.
6: bfg k02's are fine for snow and rain and are not loud at highway speeds. i prefer duratracs for snow or a dedicated winter tire but k02's are fine

Nuke_392

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GMC-AT4, 2024 392 arrived 7/11
1. 24 has more insulation then previous so any cabin noise should be less then previous.
2/3. 392 comes with the hitch and you will need an extension to get past the tire, not sure how much because i'm still waiting to get mine and find this out.
4. Hopefully not, but you have this chance with anything you buy.
5. I'm already regretting not ordering it, I'm in PA and thought it may be a bad idea with the changing climate.
6. I run BFG All Terrains on my trucks and love them, I think they are a great all around tire.

Now wait on the rest of the opinions and try and decide what choices work for you.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
1. For just cruising on the highway you can not hear the exhaust at all with it in quiet mode. Like others have said the Jeep does have a lot of wind noise SOT or hardtop.
2/3. Believe the tow package is standard now but if itā€™s not youā€™ll want it.
4. Nothing too prominent other then cracked coolant tank.
5.I would not order another wrangler without SOT by far the best option. With that said make sure you get a color you like.
6. Tires are fantastic never had any problem with them in the snow or ice.

With all this being said you should either rent a wrangler for the weekend or take a long test drive. Wranglers are not for everyone and some people do not like the experience.

NOIDEAWIAM

First Name
NICK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22JLU 392 XR, 21 Charger Hellcat Redeye
1. Minimal to no drone noise. I can talk over Bluetooth clearly. Having the performance exhaust turned off helps a ton but its rare that I turn it off. I like having it on even when I'm on the phone just to let people know I have a huge V8 lol
2. Get the tow package as stated prior.
3. you will need a hitch extender. I would recommend a roof rack for said recreational devices.
4. The only issue I have had was with the oil filter housing. It leaked and it was a frustrating and long process to get the dealership to replace it.
5. Get the dual top group if you have a place to store the hard top in the summer. I love having the soft top in the summer and even run with a bikini top sometimes. I live in the PNW as well and wouldn't want the SOT, personally. I feel that there are more points to leak and honestly like being able to go completely naked. The SOT looks a bit funky to me when it is stripped down.
6. The BFG's work great up here without going to a dedicated winter tire. They do well in the wet and I have never hydroplaned. They do great in the snow and I feel they do really well with the wet, heavy snow we get. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to go over the passes with these tires in winters like we had this last year.

Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Generally agree with @commbubba19, I have no where to store a HT and would seldom remove it for a day trip, therefore SOT, there is more noise but not even bad enough to install a hotheads headliner for me. Make sure, but reportedly the tow pkg is now standard so no longer a listed option. RV harness is for flat towing the Jeep. No issues, problems, recalls or regrets on a 21. Anecdotal evidence indicates MDS a suspect factor in cam/ lifter issues. I tap into manual shift to disable when cruising at constant speed to minimize. MPG on the splash screen will show when in 4cyl , and when in loud your ears will remind you with the sh!tty sound. In case you donā€™t know OR+ increases throttle response and shift points. Also, as a first time Wrangler owner contrary to many complaints my ride ( equivalent to my GC in sport mode) and handling far exceeded expectations. Straight with very minimal wander and smooth, easily up to 85 mph before noticing. Gas mileage, however, will Not exceed expectations. Enjoy :)

leakgator

First Name
Branson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150
Hi all. Apologies if this is the wrong forum for these questions, but I planning to put in an order on a 392 as a first time Jeep owner.

1) How is the exhaust drone noise on the highway with the baffles closed and hard top? Does it get annoying? Could you have a phone conversation?
2) I plan to put a bike and ski rack on the rear. Does the 392 come with a hitch or do I need to purchase the RV tow package just for that? The build sheet only mentions "MOPAR RV TOW HARNESS XPW".
3) Related to #2, do I need to purchase a hitch extender to use with a bike rack due to the spare wheel?
4) Are there any reliability gremlins with the 392? From what I gather, it seems pretty good so far.
5) Am I going to regret not ordering the soft one touch since it's not available with anvil and that is the color I have my sights on. I live in the PNW, so driving without a top would usually be relegated to a couple months of the year.
6) How good are the stock tires when in the snow and ice? We go skiing most weekends in the winter and it requires driving up snowy/icy mountain passes.

thanks!
1) I keep the exhaust off and it's not loud at all.
2) The 2024 comes standard with the tow package (already answered)
3) I have zero idea as I am too fat to bike or ski
4) no gremlins for me, just the squeak and tick at start up
5) Get the SOT. It is loud, but super conveinient.
**And you can order Anvil with it now!!!!**
6) I live in North GA, so snow is few and far between.

I want to order a 2024 so bad, but I have a 2023, so I am torn!

weeitsmikelee

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜21 Wrangler392; ā€˜20 F-Pace; '15 XL883N; '82 CX500
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase

thanks!
1. Closed w/ hardtop is just wind noise.
2. my ā€˜21 did not come w/ a hitch but I installed one afterwards and youā€™ll need an extension to clear the tire.
4. Been loving it since 5/2021:fingerscrossed:
5. The one-touch is an option I wish I got although at the time there were not many roof racks compatible w/ it. Not sure if this has changed.
6. Depends how you drive but theyā€™re snow rated and have not had an issue yet.

Sponsored

leakgator

First Name
Branson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150
Yep, somebody mentioned that it was an option when they tried to order, but I confirmed it with a good source :)
I can't decide whether or not to order an Earl like I have or the Anvil. The Anvil looks spectacualr at the reveal, but bland on some JKs i've seen. Maybe because they are older.

I can't decide to order from Granger or Mark Dodge.

Who are you going with?

258_T18A

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Rubicon 392, 1979 CJ7
Plan on aftermarket seat covers unless you like red.

Bandit59

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe

thanks!
Freedom tops only way to go for me

DocC22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon 392 (soon)
I chose to order XR package rather than the one touch top thing. I guess in 24 the XR is standard, but I would still get a top lift pros style hardtop removal/storage system. Two people I know had nothing but problems with one touch roof. I had to get 7 inch hitch extension for my bike rack. You will be very happy. This 392 is my first Jeep. I am SO glad I didnā€˜t order a Bronco Raptor. Good luck with your order.
Sponsored