Sponsored

Ordering a 2020 Rubi...why do I need the "upgraded" wheels (or don't I)?

Tye_Dylan

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Sahara JKU
any insight is appreciated...
Sponsored

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I've gone the route of selling the take-offs and upgrading wheels/tires. The trick is to take the stock ones off RIGHT AWAY. When reselling them, having true take-offs (delivery miles only) differentiates you from the miriad of other sellers. And...you certainly won't get $995 more for the nicer factory wheels, so go with the base ones.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
I do like the look of the "upgraded" wheel look more, but just not almost $1000 more. If you are interested in aftermarket wheels, just take a look at whats out there that you like and price compare them. Most of the ones I like (AEV/Fifteen52/Venomrex/Icon) are in the $250/each range (some more, some less, going with a ballpark number), so a set of 5 (including spare) will run about $1250. Do I like those aftermarket brands $250 more than the "upgraded" Jeep wheels...yes, absolutely. As @Goluchowski said, if it was the Mopar beadlocks, that might be a different story.

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
any insight is appreciated...
I personally think the stock wheels are much nicer looking than the so-called ā€œupgradedā€ wheels. At the end of the day there just an overpriced Chinese made wheel. For a little more you can get a nice set of aftermarket wheels.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I personally think the stock wheels are much nicer looking than the so-called ā€œupgradedā€ wheels. At the end of the day there just an overpriced Chinese made wheel. For a little more you can get a nice set of aftermarket wheels.
...which are likely made in China as well. It's just the time we live in - it's inescapable.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
OEM alloy wheels are very high quality in my experience, certainly higher quality than 90% of the cast bro wheels (looking at you, BlackRhino, Fuel, KMC...) that people buy for their jeep.

That said, I the "upgrade" from Jeep is purely aesthetics. I'll continue to rock my 22.5lb snowflake wheels :)

NPE102414

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
...which are likely made in China as well. It's just the time we live in - it's inescapable.
No doubt, but that wasnā€™t really my point though. Iā€™d rather pick the style, width and offset if Iā€™m going to pay extra for wheels.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No doubt, but that wasnā€™t really my point though. Iā€™d rather pick the style, width and offset if Iā€™m going to pay extra for wheels.
Totally agree. Wheels are the very first thing changed when I get a new Jeep.

Jeepers!

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ĀÆ\_(惄)_/ĀÆ
I've always thought the cost of this "upgrade" is insane for cosmetically different wheels with the exact same specs.
Sponsored