bobnjenn0828

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Hi!

We have finally decided that we are going to order a 2020 Sahara (mid life crisis?) but there are so many options that I really have no idea what the differences are. We will be completely new to owning a Wrangler (I have a 2014 Cherokee that I love right now) so we aren't sure what options we need. I do know the options that I want though! If anyone has any opinions it would be greatly appreciated.

We will mostly use it for my daily driver, trips to the mountains, beach, some light towing, and hopefully some off - road trails. We likely will not do any difficult trails -even though that looks like a lot of fun! We have a few OHV parks around us.

So far we have decided on:

Sahara
Standard wheels w/ All Terrain tires
Dual Top Group w/hardtop headliner
Leather Seats
UConnect w/NAV
Remote Proximity Keyless Entry
Towing Package
Safety Group and Adv Safety Group
Cold Weather Group

Unsure about:
Bikini Pearl or Firecracker Red - such a hard choice
3.6L vs upgraded 3.6L vs 2.0 I4 (Feel free to dumb this down - I have no clue)
Automatic transmission vs the 850RE transmission - Is there a major difference in these 2?
Anti Spin Differential - sounds like it would be good to have?
Gear Ratios - We researched and seemed like the lower would be fine for us
Selec-trac - I'm not sure if there is any advantage to this but it doesn't cost very much extra
LED lighting package -

I am really excited and will start looking for a dealership as soon as I figure out what to order. Thanks for any help and sorry if these questions have been asked a million times already! It is much appreciated!

Jennifer
Sponsored

JtwJL

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUS
Hi!

We have finally decided that we are going to order a 2020 Sahara (mid life crisis?) but there are so many options that I really have no idea what the differences are. We will be completely new to owning a Wrangler (I have a 2014 Cherokee that I love right now) so we aren't sure what options we need. I do know the options that I want though! If anyone has any opinions it would be greatly appreciated.

We will mostly use it for my daily driver, trips to the mountains, beach, some light towing, and hopefully some off - road trails. We likely will not do any difficult trails -even though that looks like a lot of fun! We have a few OHV parks around us.

Sahara
Leather Seats
UConnect w/NAV
Towing Package
Cold Weather Group

Unsure about:
Automatic transmission vs the 850RE transmission - Is there a major difference in these 2?
Selec-trac - I'm not sure if there is any advantage to this but it doesn't cost very much extra
LED lighting package -

I am really excited and will start looking for a dealership as soon as I figure out what to order. Thanks for any help and sorry if these questions have been asked a million times already! It is much appreciated!

Jennifer
Imo you have the "must haves" already selected, but I highly suggest adding the LED lighting package, I didn't with my Sahara, mainly because I heard bad reviews of the JK's LED headlights (ordered mine 2018) and went aftermarket (Bioculus LED headlights) the halogens are absolutely garbage.

If your plan is 33" tires, you will be fine with either engine choice with the new 8 speed automatic, if you are going 35s or 37s I would suggest the 2L turbo, from what I heard, that along with the 8speed does a lot more justice (This is basically if you don't want to regear whatsoever, saving you a couple grand).

Also, once again, if you are planning on 35s or 37s especially, and would like to do off-roading the limited slip diff option changes the rear axle from a dana 35(m200) to the dana 44 (m220), well worth the cost for peace of mind.

OP
OP

bobnjenn0828

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Imo you have the "must haves" already selected, but I highly suggest adding the LED lighting package, I didn't with my Sahara, mainly because I heard bad reviews of the JK's LED headlights (ordered mine 2018) and went aftermarket (Bioculus LED headlights) the halogens are absolutely garbage.

If your plan is 33" tires, you will be fine with either engine choice with the new 8 speed automatic, if you are going 35s or 37s I would suggest the 2L turbo, from what I heard, that along with the 8speed does a lot more justice (This is basically if you don't want to regear whatsoever, saving you a couple grand).

Also, once again, if you are planning on 35s or 37s especially, and would like to do off-roading the limited slip diff option changes the rear axle from a dana 35(m200) to the dana 44 (m220), well worth the cost for peace of mind.

Thank you! There is definitely a lot to learn. I think we will get the bigger tires eventually so that is good information to know!

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
Bikini Pearl or Firecracker Red
3.6L with 850RE transmission
Anti Spin Differential -
Gear Ratios
Selec-trac
LED lighting package -
I am really excited and will start looking for a dealership as soon as I figure out what to order.
Congratulations on deciding to purchase! I’ve bolded above my recommendations and want to provide some additional commentary.

Both colors are great and look good with tan leather interior! Re the automatic transmission, once you select the engine, the correct auto transmission will be selected as will the gear ratio.

The 3.6L with the new 8speed auto is super smooth and I’m more partial to this engine than the 2.0L although that’s still a very good engine, especially at higher altitudes.

Get the LSD in the rear and don’t obsess over the 4wd system: you’ll get whatever configuration the system determines will work with the options that you select.

Get the LEDs from the factory. The halogens aren’t as bad as you may be led to believe but when you compare them to the LEDs from the factory it is a night and day difference in terms of visibility. Definitely worth the LED package.

Lastly, I’m not a fan of the Advanced Safety Group and didn’t get it on my Wrangler. I do have the parking sensors with the blind spot assist. My system works correctly half of the time but it doesn’t even bother me because, while it’s nice to have it when it works correctly, I don’t rely on it.

This forum has many good dealers and salespeople. If you’d like a recommendation, I can PM you the dealership that I purchased from as well as the contact information.

Keep us posted!

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Agree with above. LED group, not aftermarket LED. I like the 3.6 and auto. The 2.0, to get the torque and mileage, has to use premium gas or they both go down. I didn't get the safety groups because most people don't know their limitations. Some of the gear, transmission and engine combinations are difficult to decide if you have to compromise on one or the other so not sure for your case.
Color - of the two you stated Red is safer choice. I hear the Bikini is I love jt ir I hate it.

Sponsored

OP
OP

bobnjenn0828

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Congratulations on deciding to purchase! I’ve bolded above my recommendations and want to provide some additional commentary.

Both colors are great and look good with tan leather interior! Re the automatic transmission, once you select the engine, the correct auto transmission will be selected as will the gear ratio.

The 3.6L with the new 8speed auto is super smooth and I’m more partial to this engine than the 2.0L although that’s still a very good engine, especially at higher altitudes.

Get the LSD in the rear and don’t obsess over the 4wd system: you’ll get whatever configuration the system determines will work with the options that you select.

Get the LEDs from the factory. The halogens aren’t as bad as you may be led to believe but when you compare them to the LEDs from the factory it is a night and day difference in terms of visibility. Definitely worth the LED package.

Lastly, I’m not a fan of the Advanced Safety Group and didn’t get it on my Wrangler. I do have the parking sensors with the blind spot assist. My system works correctly half of the time but it doesn’t even bother me because, while it’s nice to have it when it works correctly, I don’t rely on it.

This forum has many good dealers and salespeople. If you’d like a recommendation, I can PM you the dealership that I purchased from as well as the contact information.

Keep us posted!
Thank you! I want the advance Safety Group for the adaptive cruise control. I have had 2 surgeries on my ankle and cruise control really helps when driving long distances. I don't have that now. It may not be worth it though. I may go test drive one first to see how it is. I would love to have the information about your dealership and sales person.

OP
OP

bobnjenn0828

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Agree with above. LED group, not aftermarket LED. I like the 3.6 and auto. The 2.0, to get the torque and mileage, has to use premium gas or they both go down. I didn't get the safety groups because most people don't know their limitations. Some of the gear, transmission and engine combinations are difficult to decide if you have to compromise on one or the other so not sure for your case.
Color - of the two you stated Red is safer choice. I hear the Bikini is I love jt ir I hate it.
I think I will definitely get the LED lights. I LOVE Bikini....I just don't know if I would love it in 5 or 6 years. I also love the red too. So many hard choices. Thank you!

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Unsure about:

Selec-trac - I'm not sure if there is any advantage to this
- If your getting the automatic trans then the Sahara only comes with the “upgraded 3.6” or 2.0. The standard 3.6 is only with the manual transmission.

- 850RE is the 8-speed automatic transmission

- There are no optional gear ratios

- Selec-Trac’s main advantage is for poor on-road conditions (snow)

OP
OP

bobnjenn0828

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
- If your getting the automatic trans then the Sahara only comes with the “upgraded 3.6” or 2.0. The standard 3.6 is only with the manual transmission.

- 850RE is the 8-speed automatic transmission

- There are no optional gear ratios

That helps a ton! It was kind of confusing on the build a jeep ..especially if you have no clue what it is talking about.

ScoobySnacks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Beater, 2020 Sahara JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Congratulations on whittling your purchase decision to the Wrangler. I was in an almost identical situation last November. Same model, between the same colors, and wasn’t sure which engine. The engine choice was decided by test driving each. I could definitely feel good power from the turbo 4, but I liked the smoothness of the 6 and it’s near instantaneous start/stop (e-torque) especially compared to the older system. As for the color, I like red on almost every vehicle, but I wouldn’t get Bikini Pearl on almost any other vehicle. That color just screams Jeep Wrangler to me. I have all of the options that you’re considering and the only one that I probably wouldn’t get again is the Advance Safety Package. It isn’t a bad system. It’s just too expensive for what it is. A $20K Civic offers similar or better safety systems as standard. If Honda can do that, so can Jeep. Anyway, those were my reasons (among many others) for choosing the way I did. My only “advice” is to test drive multiple Sahara’s with each engine choice putting them through the same scenarios.

Good luck and happy “feature” deciding.

Sponsored

Jeep142

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL
All the tech questions seem to have been answered, soooooooooo...…..go with Firecracker Red!!!!

skidave74

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S4, VW Tiguan
Hi!

Sahara
Leather Seats
UConnect w/NAV
Towing Package
Cold Weather Group

Unsure about:
LED lighting package -

Jennifer
Check out the Sahara “North Edition” version. It has a group of packages that will save a couple of thousand in options. My parents ordered one (and are now awaiting production) and it sounded promising.

MinerSteve

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ram Rebel
Hi!

Sahara
Leather Seats
UConnect w/NAV
Towing Package
Cold Weather Group

Unsure about:
LED lighting package -

Jennifer

Congratulations on your choice of a Wrangler. It looks like your questions have been answered, if you have any other questions, just let me know. I am a Jeep Salesman in Linn, MO, and I can help with any questions you may have.

Steven Boeckmann

hordi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
“North Edition” version. ...will save a couple of thousand in options
Where from you find that saving? Could you provide a particular example of "saving"? PS: Every time I build and compare identical configurations, "prepared package" has a a bit bigger price than just adding the same identical options to a base model.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Get the LEDs from the factory. The halogens aren’t as bad as you may be led to believe but when you compare them to the LEDs from the factory it is a night and day difference in terms of visibility. Definitely worth the LED package.....
Agreed. The LED lighting is amazing. I was up in the air about ordering them too, but glad I did. Halogens are fine, but LED are brighter, and you never have to replace bulbs.

.....Lastly, I’m not a fan of the Advanced Safety Group ....
Thank you! I want the advance Safety Group for the adaptive cruise control. I have had 2 surgeries on my ankle and cruise control really helps when driving long distances.....
Just be aware that you can get cruise (IIRC it's included with Sahara package) without the Advanced Safety Group. That package gives you "adaptive" cruise, and blind spot sensors. Adaptive cruise is neat because it maintains a set distance between vehicles, so if they slow do, you do too without having to adjust it. But to me, it's not worth the cost of the upgrade to not adjust my cruise. I may feel differently if I drove on the interstate a lot.
Anyway, the point is, you don't need that package to get a standard cruise control.

Maybe not so much of an issue for someone in Alabama, but for anyone ordering a Sahara up north with us, Select-Trac is the only way to go. Well worth the cost. Down south? Meh, maybe not something I'd order so OP you could skip it and probably not miss it.
Sponsored