First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Occupation
AML Investigator
Just put an order for (5) Fuel Hostage 17x9 wheels with 5 Toyo OC AT3 (285/70R17).

before I paid, the guy goes, i'm telling you right now, these won't fit your Sahara without a lift. I was under the impression the JL Sahara can run 285/70's with no problems whatsoever.
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Just put an order for (5) Fuel Hostage 17x9 wheels with 5 Toyo OC AT3 (285/70R17).

before I paid, the guy goes, i'm telling you right now, these won't fit your Sahara without a lift. I was under the impression the JL Sahara can run 285/70's with no problems whatsoever.
They will fit without issue. That tire specs out between 32.8 and 33 inches depending on load type.

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
They will fit without issue. That tire specs out between 32.8 and 33 inches depending on load type.
C Load. I ordered them anyhow. got a great price with our local jeep club discount. The toyo is 32.8" x 11.2" sitting on a 17x9 wheel with 5" backspacing.

once i figure out the ins and outs of lifting (ie: regearing) will lift 2.5" and make this 285 into a 315 and call it a day.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Did you have a hard time finding wheels? I was told everything is on back order for 3 months. It’s frustrating having a set of mud tires rotting in my garage and no wheels to mount them on.

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Did you have a hard time finding wheels? I was told everything is on back order for 3 months. It’s frustrating having a set of mud tires rotting in my garage and no wheels to mount them on.
i did. Everything is out of stock but my main issue was deciding whether to go 20’s or 17’s. I was planning to lift, add the 20’s (35” tire) at the same time but withus going back tothe office I am on the highway and just can’t afford to be inefficient gear wise so to regear with the 35’ to 4.56 is another 3k.

knowing that I need to do that, I can buy some time with what I just got and put money aside for the lift, the 315’s and the regearing.

Sponsored

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
i did. Everything is out of stock but my main issue was deciding whether to go 20’s or 17’s. I was planning to lift, add the 20’s (35” tire) at the same time but withus going back tothe office I am on the highway and just can’t afford to be inefficient gear wise so to regear with the 35’ to 4.56 is another 3k.

knowing that I need to do that, I can buy some time with what I just got and put money aside for the lift, the 315’s and the regearing.
Yeah its so shitty! And 20s would look very good on a lifted jeep yes.
You must do a fuck ton of highway driving. Ive thought about a regear but the truth is, unless a guy can make their money back in a month from the gas savings then the extra little fuel cost isnt even noticeable. In my opinion regear on little 35 inch tires isnt needed. Our boxes Mpg vary depending on wind conditions. If its not too late id order up that lift if i was you!

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
Yeah its so shitty! And 20s would look very good on a lifted jeep yes.
You must do a fuck ton of highway driving. Ive thought about a regear but the truth is, unless a guy can make their money back in a month from the gas savings then the extra little fuel cost isnt even noticeable. In my opinion regear on little 35 inch tires isnt needed. Our boxes Mpg vary depending on wind conditions. If its not too late id order up that lift if i was you!
ha! the lift isn't even in stock. I need new tires anyhow, so will drive this a while, build up my piggy bank and go from there.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
ha! the lift isn't even in stock. I need new tires anyhow, so will drive this a while, build up my piggy bank and go from there.
No way! Is anything in stock wtffffffff

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
No way! Is anything in stock wtffffffff
I am also kicking the idea of staying with the 33's and just getting rubicon takeoff springs, and fox 0-1.5" Fox IFP shocks and calling it a day. Gets me the 1-1.5" lift look I like (in theory)....Keep it this way, for 2-3 years, trade it in on a rubicon 4xe or a regular Rubicon.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
would like one, but i'm a few years from that. tried to get one this time around, but just couldn't make the finances work because I wasn't moving out of my Sahara and hving my payment go up $125/month. $30-$50? I can explain to my wife. but $125+ a month, i wouldn't even have the chance to see if the sofa is comfortable.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
would like one, but i'm a few years from that. tried to get one this time around, but just couldn't make the finances work because I wasn't moving out of my Sahara and hving my payment go up $125/month. $30-$50? I can explain to my wife. but $125+ a month, i wouldn't even have the chance to see if the sofa is comfortable.
I "borrowed" from my bathroom remodel fund ($7500) to beef up the down payment because I'll get that back in the tax credit before we start the remodel, and they offered me 40k on my trade in , so I was in a good place. I bought my Mustang for 36k out the door in 2019, turned around and bought my 4xe in 2021 for almost 20k more and my payments went up about 30 bucks.

OP
OP
Pdiehm

Pdiehm

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
AML Investigator
I "borrowed" from my bathroom remodel fund ($7500) to beef up the down payment because I'll get that back in the tax credit before we start the remodel, and they offered me 40k on my trade in , so I was in a good place. I bought my Mustang for 36k out the door in 2019, turned around and bought my 4xe in 2021 for almost 20k more and my payments went up about 30 bucks.
dealerships around me were lowballing me left and right. 33k is what they were offering me for a 2018 Sahara with 38k miles (loaded too). Vroom offered me 42870, then I lose the trade intax credit.

so I pulled the plug and just decided to build this one out some more
Sponsored