Sponsored

Ordered three months ago... Delivered to dealer Friday. They sold it to SOMEONE ELSE on Saturday!

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds pretty reasonable to me, but I would still push for an extended warranty...
As the saying goes, "ask for the world, settle for New Jersey". :)
Sponsored

JLUSSOBRTP

First Name
Aimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I don't want to hijack this thread but don't want to start a new one either. This happened to me today too, but thankfully went my way. Ordered my Jeep on 8/1 and put a deposit on it. Couldn't find one in all of the US with the features I wanted. Yesterday, 8/24, my salesperson called to say my Wrangler was in. He let me know that they'd have it pdi'd today, get it NC inspected, and would detail it for me by the afternoon...all I needed was the check from my lender to come in (it was supposed to be here yesterday). Called the lender this morning. They had misplaced the envelope and now the check isn't going to be in until Monday. I updated my salesperson and asked if I could come in, see my jeep, inspect it, and test drive it.

I get there at 4:00PM today. Salesperson was out on a test drive, but he called before he left and told me to go on around to the back of the building where they were waiting to detail my Wrangler. So, I get to the dealership, walk to the back, and there she is. Ocean Blue, Sport S, hard top, with granite crystal wheels. Safety group LEDs. Soft top in the back. Sold tag on the mirror. I literally teared up. I've been wanting a Wrangler since I was a little girl. About that time, salesperson comes around the corner. I ask, "So this is mine?!" He replied, "Nah. Yours is over there." I was a little taken aback and looked over. He pointed me towards a Rubicon. Told him I didn't order a Rubicon. He had the most perplexed look on his face. Turned my attention back to the Sport S. Confirmed the VIN I've been tracking for weeks. Looked at the sold tag, and there it was. A name that was not mine.

Salesperson ran in the dealership and, after what felt like forever, came back with his manager. Even longer story somewhat shorter, a person from out-of-state had called and placed a deposit on it today. He was coming to pick it up on Monday. I had checked on the dealership's website directly several times, and my Jeep never showed up as in their inventory or in transit; however, when I built my Wrangler on Jeep's site and did a dealership search, in this roundabout way it had shown up as "In Transit" ever since the window sticker was available. I had seen the views track up on that page. I just never thought someone would actually be able to buy it. Thankfully, the dealership righted the ship immediately and assured me that it would be mine. They asked if they could do anything to calm my near heart attack. I asked to be able to keep the all weather floor mats they had put in there. haha So, two things for y'all and one for me.

1. Building a Jeep on the website WILL list your Wrangler as in inventory or in transit at your dealership - even if your dealership itself doesn't have it publicly listed. This could lead others to try to purchase it.
2. If you can't pick up your Jeep immediately, at least try to go see it. Due to my work schedule, I now won't be able to pick it up until Wednesday. Since dude was supposed to come Monday for it, I would've arrived and it likely would've been gone. and
3. (For me!) I'm proud of ordering a Jeep that is so awesome that it was sold to two people right as it got off the truck. :cwl:;)

Last edited:

Big Lebowski

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
when I built my Wrangler on Jeep's site and did a dealership search, in this roundabout way it had shown up as "In Transit" ever since the window sticker was available. I

1. Building a Jeep on the website WILL list your Wrangler as in inventory or in transit at your dealership - even if your dealership itself doesn't have it publicly listed. This could lead others to try to purchase it.
Good to know...our Ruby is on order. I would go ballistic if a dealer did to me what they did to the OP.

OP
OP
Steamboat

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
I don't want to hijack this thread but don't want to start a new one either. This happened to me today too, but thankfully went my way. Ordered my Jeep on 8/1 and put a deposit on it. Couldn't find one in all of the US with the features I wanted. Yesterday, 8/24, my salesperson called to say my Wrangler was in. He let me know that they'd have it pdi'd today, get it NC inspected, and would detail it for me by the afternoon...all I needed was the check from my lender to come in (it was supposed to be here yesterday). Called the lender this morning. They had misplaced the envelope and now the check isn't going to be in until Monday. I updated my salesperson and asked if I could come in, see my jeep, inspect it, and test drive it.

I get there at 4:00PM today. Salesperson was out on a test drive, but he called before he left and told me to go on around to the back of the building where they were waiting to detail my Wrangler. So, I get to the dealership, walk to the back, and there she is. Ocean Blue, Sport S, hard top, with granite crystal wheels. Safety group LEDs. Soft top in the back. Sold tag on the mirror. I literally teared up. I've been wanting a Wrangler since I was a little girl. About that time, salesperson comes around the corner. I ask, "So this is mine?!" He replied, "Nah. Yours is over there." I was a little taken aback and looked over. He pointed me towards a Rubicon. Told him I didn't order a Rubicon. He had the most perplexed look on his face. Turned my attention back to the Sport S. Confirmed the VIN I've been tracking for weeks. Looked at the sold tag, and there it was. A name that was not mine.

Salesperson ran in the dealership and, after what felt like forever, came back with his manager. Even longer story somewhat shorter, a person from out-of-state had called and placed a deposit on it today. He was coming to pick it up on Monday. I had checked on the dealership's website directly several times, and my Jeep never showed up as in their inventory or in transit; however, when I built my Wrangler on Jeep's site and did a dealership search, in this roundabout way it had shown up as "In Transit" ever since the window sticker was available. I had seen the views track up on that page. I just never thought someone would actually be able to buy it. Thankfully, the dealership righted the ship immediately and assured me that it would be mine. They asked if they could do anything to calm my near heart attack. I asked to be able to keep the all weather floor mats they had put in there. haha So, two things for y'all and one for me.

2. If you can't pick up your Jeep immediately, at least try to go see it. Due to my work schedule, I now won't be able to pick it up until Wednesday. Since dude was supposed to come Monday for it, I would've arrived and it likely would've been gone. and
3. (For me!) I'm proud of ordering a Jeep that is so awesome that it was sold to two people right as it got off the truck. :cwl:;)
I’m glad this worked out for you! Great job paying attention to the Vins.

For what it is worth this is exactly what happened to me except it was not actually caught in time and sold to the guy that called and placed a deposit on it after seeing it online.

JLUSSOBRTP

First Name
Aimee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
I’m glad this worked out for you! Great job paying attention to the Vins.

For what it is worth this is exactly what happened to me except it was not actually caught in time and sold to the guy that called and placed a deposit on it after seeing it online.
Glad you finally got yours!

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Thank you all for the feedback so far.

Update: the VP for the family of dealerships called me. He offered to go ahead and trade my car in today, order my Jeep again, put me in a fully-loaded Wrangler Sahara from their rental fleet (all Weangler JLs) at no cost to me until it comes in, and take $6k off of the MSRP or sell it to me at invoice-whichever was cheaper.

Any thoughts?

Seems reasonable to me.

cosmokenney

First Name
Cosmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR (2-door)
Hopefully, as future transactions occur with this dealer (accessories, services, etc.), they will remember me and hopefully take special care that it is a good experience.
Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...
A Jeep dealer giving you the time of day after they got your $50k?!?! Not something that is in their long-term plan.
No offense meant. It's just that I've had, and read, nothing but bad experiences with dealers. It's the reason I'm not playing the take the Jeep back to the dealer 40 times to fix the dead spot in my steering. "It's a Jeep thing", "drives as designed". Yea right.

PatrickKiser

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Butt Scratcher
I am so angry right now that I do not know what to do. I ordered my JLUR 3 months ago (3/20). It apparently was delivered to the dealer on Friday but my sales guy was out on vacation.

After driving the lot for myself and being sent a follow-up email from Customer Cares that the Jeep had, in fact, been delivered, I checked with my dealer as to where it was. He called this afternoon to tell me that it was apparently sold on Saturday to another family. the dealer is saying they have another one on another lot, with the same build but it isn't "my Jeep."

The dealer has offered to $5k off the asking price (originally $55k) but that doesn't seem enough to make me want to buy from this dealer again.

What is a the greatest price difference (Asking price/Sale Price) that anyone has received that I should target as them "making it right" versus making a sale?

Also, any advice for retribution on the dealership since they took my $1k deposit in March and sold the car that had my name on it?
Something similar to this happened to me, but with my 2018 Ford Escape. The dealer sold it from under me to make money. The excuses are BS because you can bet the dealer knows EXACTLY the details of all orders. Money means everything to them. They just gave you a line. Flapping gums as the judge on People's Court says.
I raised hell with the dealer. I contacted Customer Support in Dearborn, Michigan which you can Google to find. I sent an email to the head of Customer Support as well as the CEO of Ford and I cc:ed the entire staff at the car dealer. It is a bit of work but worth it.
I ended up getting $7,000.00 off the price I agreed to pay originally, AND I got a 45,000 mile Maintenance Plan FOR FREE!
Now I get oil changes, filters changed, wipers changed, even brakes replaced, every 5,000 miles, FOR FREE.
Don't let the dealer get away with this. You CAN get satisfaction.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Geez, this thread was started in June 2018...!

I doubt Jeep’s customer treatment has gotten any better since then.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Necro post.