Sponsored

Ordered three months ago... Delivered to dealer Friday. They sold it to SOMEONE ELSE on Saturday!

OP
OP
Steamboat

Steamboat

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2018 Volvo XC90
What baffles me is you said they sold your jeep but they had another jeep on the lot exactly the same and that’s the one they wanted to give you . why didn’t they sell that one to the other guy and give you yours. Or if there’s two jeeps on the lot exactly the same who’s is who’s.
Maybe I did a poor job of explaining that. They didn’t have it (the Jeep they offered me) on THEIR lot but could get it (I assume from another dealer) within a day or two.

The Jeep I ordered was the only one like it AT the dealership that day. I still have my questions about how they could possibly mess up that bad but at the end of the day (or possibly year in this case- haha), I will be a Jeep Owner with my very own personalized Jeep that I ordered.
Sponsored

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition
JL prices, 2 or 4 door, increased $750 on March 1, 2018. JK's frequently increased their MSRP $1,000 most model years. I am unaware of a JK ever having a mid-year price increase, unless another forum member wants to chime in on that.

They could rock a July price increase, I guess. I'm going to personally believe it's unlikely they'll pull another before MY2019 (but that it'll be all but certain). I placed my 2 door order last Friday, and prices were the same as March 1, 2018. I'm also not sure what the difference is between "signing a buy order" and "placing an order". I signed to place my order, and have my VIN and VON. I'd be surprised if I wasn't price protected from an increase.
Jeep price increases happen all the time. Placing an order does not protect you from a price increase, but you don't have to believe me about it. The price of your vehicle is when it's built - everything else is an estimate and can change at any time.

A buy order allows you to lock in your price. FCA used to require a deposit to lock in your price as well, but as of 2 years ago stopped forcing deposits.

On my order which was placed 27 days prior to delivery - all weather mats increased $20, wheels increased $25 (I think) and the rear mat (which I ended up not taking) increased like $30. Now in my situation my dealer probably just would have eaten the $75 or whatever it was..no big deal. However, my Rubicon Hard Rock that I ordered in May 2015 increased by $1200 when I picked it up in July. Had I not had a signed buy order I'd be responsible for the difference.

keviper

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Wrangler Winter Edition
Its a breach of contract, its probably not worth the effort, but it is what it is.

The dealer did some level of an attempt to remedy, the op could probably get them to pony up for any missing options.

Screw ups happen, but man that really sucks any way you slice it.
Yep, it sucks. Personally I would have taken my deposit money and walked, but that 6% discount would be hard to say no to...

Octavius

First Name
J.D.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon (waiting on delivery)
I am so angry right now that I do not know what to do. I ordered my JLUR 3 months ago (3/20). It apparently was delivered to the dealer on Friday but my sales guy was out on vacation.

After driving the lot for myself and being sent a follow-up email from Customer Cares that the Jeep had, in fact, been delivered, I checked with my dealer as to where it was. He called this afternoon to tell me that it was apparently sold on Saturday to another family. the dealer is saying they have another one on another lot, with the same build but it isn't "my Jeep."

The dealer has offered to $5k off the asking price (originally $55k) but that doesn't seem enough to make me want to buy from this dealer again.

What is a the greatest price difference (Asking price/Sale Price) that anyone has received that I should target as them "making it right" versus making a sale?

Also, any advice for retribution on the dealership since they took my $1k deposit in March and sold the car that had my name on it?
10K End of story! They should be more responsible.

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
So...couple thoughts...

1. The guy that bought it saw the "Made for Steamboat" window sticker and said..."so what", the salesman said "yup...it's yours, take it" or
2. The salesman gave a BS story to someone in order to sell it.

Either way...I wouldn't want to work with them that much. I'd 1. Want my deposit back...because...FU 2. They'd be giving me at least 6% below invoice plus a warranty package or 3. I'd be getting my deposit back and a social media storm would ensue.

When my JKUR came in in '12, I saw it pop up on the dealer's site. I called immediately to ask wtf was going on with that... "all vehicles that come off the truck get photos and put up...we're not selling it" Right...you're not...because I'll be there in a couple hours to pick it up...

But anyway...I'd have some serious concerns with the dealership after they literally sold MY vehicle and they'd have to stop just short of hookers and blow to make it better.

Sponsored

jaekae8

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Ethically , he made a $1K deposit on that Jeep , and hopefully he has signed paperwork verifying his deposit on that Jeep . If he has the paperwork , that sounds like a promise . But the purchase papers have not yet been signed . Legally they only owe him a refund of his $1K deposit .

However , once they get your trade-in , you will be on the hook with them . And you don't know if they will be on the level , right ? Once burned , I'd take my deposit back in a quick second , and go to an established recommended dealer , such as the Koons in Virginia .
Funny to see Koons in Virginia listed implying they wouldn't do this. They have/had 2018 Wranglers listed on their site that are other people's preorders. That happened to me two weeks ago.

Jeep Jenn

First Name
Jennifer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Sport S
I am so angry right now that I do not know what to do. I ordered my JLUR 3 months ago (3/20). It apparently was delivered to the dealer on Friday but my sales guy was out on vacation.

After driving the lot for myself and being sent a follow-up email from Customer Cares that the Jeep had, in fact, been delivered, I checked with my dealer as to where it was. He called this afternoon to tell me that it was apparently sold on Saturday to another family. the dealer is saying they have another one on another lot, with the same build but it isn't "my Jeep."

The dealer has offered to $5k off the asking price (originally $55k) but that doesn't seem enough to make me want to buy from this dealer again.

What is a the greatest price difference (Asking price/Sale Price) that anyone has received that I should target as them "making it right" versus making a sale?

Also, any advice for retribution on the dealership since they took my $1k deposit in March and sold the car that had my name on it?

Dude that SUPER SUCKS. I mean didn't the person doing the buying and the person doing the selling NOT SEE YOUR NAME ON THE WINDOW STICKER??? and if they do have the EXACT same thing sitting on their lot why did they sell this other person your VIN and not the other one? I think if I was going to do a dirtball thing like sell a Custom Order to another person I wouldn't do it for 1k over. I bet they sold your 55k JLUR for 85k.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, mistakes happen but I find it hard to believe this wasn't anything other than intentional. I suspect they got a buyer that wanted that exact Jeep and was willing to either pay extra or walk away if he didn't get it. At the end of the day, the question is, do they want to do the right thing by their customer. I've been in sales for a while and I will never overlook doing what is right for my customer to make a buck. That philosophy has always served me well but I can see why others fall to the temptation of getting that next commission check.

All that said, I think you can demand 5% below invoice at a minimum. Like others, I would demand an extended MOPAR warranty (not a 3rd party warranty) but I would be prepared to negotiate on that. Stick with the 5% below invoice though. If they didn't give me that, I would walk. I would also be sure to throw them under the bus on Yelp.

Buckeye78

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 F150 Lariat, 2015 M3, 18 JL Rubi (ordered)
That is 5.5% below invoice. Which is a great deal IMHO especially if they are waiving the dealer admin fee. A lot of us got 5% below but once you add the admin fee its more like 4%.
Guys, I have to ask, how are you buying at 5% below invoice? That would be 2% below the dealer's actual cost, when you factor out 3% holdback. What am I missing here?

ekimgnuj

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Cary & Carolina Beach NC; Boston; Port Jeff, NY
Vehicle(s)
'24 JLU Sahara, '18 JLU Sport
Clubs

I got $5K off and they didn't sell my Jeep to someone else, that is about what dealers offer most people.

Sponsored

jmill012

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392XR, 22 Model 3 Performance, 22 Wagoneer
Guys, I have to ask, how are you buying at 5% below invoice? That would be 2% below the dealer's actual cost, when you factor out 3% holdback. What am I missing here?
They have advertising fees, carrying costs, etc. not to mention they get inventory sale bonuses. A factory order doesn’t count toward their inventory and they still get the sale bonus. So there is more profit than just hold back. Most dealers are happy to take the inventory sale bonus and call it a day.

Mjmi69

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Moab, 2019 BMW 335, 2018 Jeep Rubicon Recon, 2018 BMW 435i
Occupation
Broker/Owner

Accept nothing less than 12% off.

2015er

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler 2-dr Rubicon & 2015 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4
I got $5K off and they didn't sell my Jeep to someone else, that is about what dealers offer most people.
I got 5% under dealer invoice on our 2018 Rubicon 2 door 4 cyl. turbo but I had to place an order which was fine as we really wanted the 4 cylinder motor and there are none available as that is about to start production.
Sponsored