Sponsored

Ordered three months ago... Delivered to dealer Friday. They sold it to SOMEONE ELSE on Saturday!

future ocean blue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean blue JLU
Sounds fair...skip the lawyer and take the deal. I would say skip the lawyer even if they didn't offer you a deal like this; it would have just been a waste of your time.
Yes to this.

If you can get them to give you a discount on any aftermarket parts you want to add that would be good. Maybe the discount applies for first year ( or 3 years) of ownership.

I don't know what the options you added so can't figure what invoice would be. But it does sound like a decent deal.
Sponsored

jfletcher73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Update: So the latest offer is this. The invoice on my wrangler is $51,816. The dealer holdback is $1,612. The dealership admin fee is $599 and there is apparently a $675 family/sr. management rebate.

Therefore, the offer is $51,816 - $1,612 - $599 - $675 = $48,930. The MSRP is $55,190.

Again, they will also include the rental from the fleet until my wrangler comes in so I also benefit from having no car payment and no insurance payment for 2-3 months.

** I don't want to name the dealership as I feel like they are trying to make it right. If there are any more errors or if they add on a bunch more fees, I will publish their name and utilize all of the social media and public review options available to me.**

This is a fair deal. The only other thing I would do, if you are using the dealership to finance, make sure you get their "buy rate" Yes that is a good deal, but don't let them make it up in finance.

jfletcher73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport
The other issue here is interest rates are steadily climbing. If it takes another 2 months and rates go up more it could cost you money over the length of the loan.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
And what are the legalities? The dealer offered to order him a new one, put him in a rental (free) until it comes in AND give him money off the new one and possibly even more. Where is the loss? See, that's what is wrong with our society, so quick to call a lawyer because they were "wronged" but have no real loss.
My point being, its important to know where you stand legally when you're screwed over on a purchase worth upwards of 50 grand. The follow up information came after my initial comment so please pay attention to that timing.

jhonn236_AZ

First Name
Jhonn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sting Gray Rubicon
I bought a JLUR that was in transit. My sheet has a random guy's name on it. My salesman told me he walked away from the deal.... is this true? Who knows. Am I enjoying my (his, potentially) Jeep? Heck yea!!! :rock:

Sponsored

Shooting or Jeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 RAV4
My point being, its important to know where you stand legally when you're screwed over on a purchase worth upwards of 50 grand. The follow up information came after my initial comment so please pay attention to that timing.
I think the point that he (and others, myself included) were noting is that a lawyer wouldnt have anything to do with this situation. A deposit is about the only transaction made. As of the posting, no argument had been made based on that financial situation. After that, the contract (if there even was one) would state what options you wanted.

The dealer never screwed anyone. It’s a hard pill to swallow, but fact is- if it took another 2 months from the factory, it’s the same timing. They sold a vehicle that had specific items requested from a set person. That’s about the extent a lawyer would look into this unless there was a true financial loss or harm.

Look, I am by no means agreeing with the situation. It bordered unethical, but even that would be problematic to prove. It could have easily been an oversite or miscommunication. I used to finance vehicles for my bank and many orders had names and people backed out. Dealers kept the order to build inventory on popular cars. So it was fairly common to see invoices with names that didn’t match the buyers.

Sh*tty situation? Yes. Angering? Yes. Requires a lawyer? No. There aren’t any hidden laws that give you free cars because someone else sells a preorder without a completed contract. It’s bad business awareness for sure and it sounds like they are making up for it. I’d still be slightly cautious about a 2 month rental, as that exposes you to accidents and really narrows you in if you decide to change your mind. Personally I would be more at ease to get the discounts in writing and ask for a few oil changes instead of the rental. But that’s just me and just because the wife works in insurance. I have horror stories on that too.

Anywho, long rant to state that its sucks, but life does that sometimes. As Dennis Leary said “get a helmet”.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I think the point that he (and others, myself included) were noting is that a lawyer wouldnt have anything to do with this situation. A deposit is about the only transaction made. As of the posting, no argument had been made based on that financial situation. After that, the contract (if there even was one) would state what options you wanted.

The dealer never screwed anyone. It’s a hard pill to swallow, but fact is- if it took another 2 months from the factory, it’s the same timing. They sold a vehicle that had specific items requested from a set person. That’s about the extent a lawyer would look into this unless there was a true financial loss or harm.

Look, I am by no means agreeing with the situation. It bordered unethical, but even that would be problematic to prove. It could have easily been an oversite or miscommunication. I used to finance vehicles for my bank and many orders had names and people backed out. Dealers kept the order to build inventory on popular cars. So it was fairly common to see invoices with names that didn’t match the buyers.

Sh*tty situation? Yes. Angering? Yes. Requires a lawyer? No. There aren’t any hidden laws that give you free cars because someone else sells a preorder without a completed contract. It’s bad business awareness for sure and it sounds like they are making up for it. I’d still be slightly cautious about a 2 month rental, as that exposes you to accidents and really narrows you in if you decide to change your mind. Personally I would be more at ease to get the discounts in writing and ask for a few oil changes instead of the rental. But that’s just me and just because the wife works in insurance. I have horror stories on that too.

Anywho, long rant to state that its sucks, but life does that sometimes. As Dennis Leary said “get a helmet”.
Asking for a free car is a super long shot, and I never suggested that. I still do believe that OP was screwed over by the dealer, as they would presumably kept him up to date on the status of his order for the duration only to sell the vehicle to some other person, for whatever reason it may have been. Bad business practices need to be nipped and a legal or civil recourse if the situation calls for it (if they actually broke a law). And honestly I wouldn't continue to reward this dealer by agreeing to order another Jeep and purchase through them, regardless of discount. There are plenty of dealers all over the country that would love to sell OP a Jeep and not screw them over in the process.

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
Nearly 6% under invoice is a very good deal.

I would take it.

And you might check Bonus Drive to see if you qualify for an additional rebate.

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
I don't even care about the timing of your post. To even bring up a lawyer in this situation is senseless. @Shooting or Jeeping just laid out a great argument above so no need to explain it again.

Mousehunter

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLRU
Read the fine print of the rental aggreement. Personally I like to do road trips in the summer and the odometer spins like crazy during them. If it is unlimited miles and you can afford the time off, well I don’t need to spell it out. That said limited miles could result in a huge penalty (or a lifestyle change) if it was me.

My wife is already planning a lap around the US this summer (ok, not completely, but a trip from Texas, up the Rockies to Wyoming/Montana (Don’t think it will tag the pacific), and a trip to Florida that might loop up to Maryland/ Delaware and points beyond

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't even care about the timing of your post. To even bring up a lawyer in this situation is senseless. @Shooting or Jeeping just laid out a great argument above so no need to explain it again.
You don't care to pay attention to the timing of my initial comment because you're too lazy to look back to the first page I guess. At least @Shooting or Jeeping has the sense to write a well thought out post and make this a meaningful discussion unlike you jumping to extreme conclusions. Consulting a lawyer might help you understand whats going on here before jumping in bed with this dealer again. Or you could just let them walk all over you...

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
You don't care to pay attention to the timing of my initial comment because you're too lazy to look back to the first page I guess. At least @Shooting or Jeeping has the sense to write a well thought out post and make this a meaningful discussion unlike you jumping to extreme conclusions. Consulting a lawyer might help you understand whats going on here before jumping in bed with this dealer again. Or you could just let them walk all over you...
No, I don't care about the timing because I understand this is not a situation where a lawyer would ever be warranted. But if you want to hang onto the notion of calling a lawyer so a dealer won't walk all over you, be my guest and spend your money. I for one can stand up for myself in situations like this and handle things on my own. Again, he never bought the vehicle. He has every right to take his deposit back and go elswhere too, it's a free marketplace.

northernILJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
If he had paid the entire 50K or the dealer was making a claim that he couldn't have his deposit back if he wanted it, then i understand going to a lawyer. This is clearly an ethical situation. I would also say that walking away from this dealer, if they are willing to do what was said would be a choice based off of emotions (which i get) not off of logic. At the end of the day, you will be out two months with a Jeep that you will hopefully have for many years of trouble free miles and you are saving a good amount of money due to their actions. Take the deal, wait the two months and enjoy their jeep and then live happily ever after with your new Jeep.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No, I don't care about the timing because I understand this is not a situation where a lawyer would ever be warranted. But if you want to hang onto the notion of calling a lawyer so a dealer won't walk all over you, be my guest and spend your money. I for one can stand up for myself in situations like this and handle things on my own. Again, he never bought the vehicle. He has every right to take his deposit back and go elswhere too, it's a free marketplace.
Fine, I'm glad we agree that he should take his deposit and go somewhere else, as you'll note I did say this earlier.

Did a lawyer or anyone knowledgeable in the law of the land hurt you in the past? Because somehow that word really triggers you.