Sponsored

Ordered Rubicon (not in D1 Status yet). Would it still be possible to change it to Sahara?

malencar

First Name
Mauro Alencar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - Granite Crystal Metallic
Hello everyone,

I imagine this post will tick at least some Rubi-lovers off, but I ordered a fully loaded JL Rubicon a couple of days ago (this will be my first Wrangler) and, since doing so, I've been reading a lot more about it and realized that it may be overkill for me since I highly doubt I'll be crawling boulders with it and I'll use it as a daily commuter 99% of the time.
I can afford the Rubi and I've read dozens of posts where people say "if you can afford it just get the Rubicon", but my fear is that, because I haver to commute for at least 2 hours a day here in the Bay Area, its suspension will be too stiff and not as comfortable as the Sahara. So, I have a few questions for you to help inform my decision:

1- Is it true that the Rubicon is a stiffer ride for daily commute and, if so, how noticeable is it?
2- If the difference is noticeable, can I soften the Rubicon's suspension to make it ride smoother?
3- Will the Sahara's transmission, axles and tires be a better option for pavement (including in the rain) and the eventual trip to Lake Tahoe in the winter?
4- If I change my order now to a Sahara will I lose my position in the queue?

Thank you in advance for your insights. I haven't even gotten my Wrangler yet and I already feel a cool sense of community being here!

Cheers,

Mauro
Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Talk to your dealer. Unless you are in D1 I think you can change it.

Drive both a stock Rubicon and a stock Sahara JK and see if you can tell the difference. Chances are coming from another vehicle all you are going to notice is they are both stiff and bumpy. But keep in mind the JL has changed so noone can really answer what the difference in ride quality will be. The JL Rubicon even has more road-friendly all-terrain tires than the JK.

OP
OP

malencar

First Name
Mauro Alencar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Talk to your dealer. Unless you are in D1 I think you can change it.

Drive both a stock Rubicon and a stock Sahara JK and see if you can tell the difference. Chances are coming from another vehicle all you are going to notice is they are both stiff and bumpy. But keep in mind the JL has changed so noone can really answer what the difference in ride quality will be. The JL Rubicon even has more road-friendly all-terrain tires than the JK.
Thank you!

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It doesnā€™t need to go D1, if it goes just plain C or D (D comes before D1) then the dealer is commited to the order and it canā€™t be changed (at least that was the JK system coding)
However, you are not comitted to any order until delivery, so you can walkmaway and get your deposit back, but realistically any dealer will be able to sell a well appointed Rubi JL easily so it shouldnā€™t be an imposition to them, so you should be able to simply explain your issues and simply re-order a better fit.

As to your other questions, as an owner of 2 JK Sports, 2 JKU Shaharas, and a JKU Rubicon in the past decade, with the JKUs being my daily drivers... I can tell you the ride isnā€™t dramatically stiffer for a daily commute ina Rubicon, you can always soften it up by changing the sorings, in fact I would suggest a Rubi with itā€™s shocks and softer Sahara-like springs would be a more comfortable ride IMO.
Where you notice the difference is potholes or speed bumps, especially turning at an angle ofver speed bumps, those are slightly more jaring, but still not a huge deal. Also the Sahara is far more floaty and jiggle rocking back and forth more than a rubi when going over stuff, especially at slow speed (like crawling over the mall speed bumps), so that is the other side of the Softer Side of Sear... err... Sahara that itself is kind of annoying. I have taken long treks in both (essentially coast to cost, and literally so this year), and neither has been burdensome, but neither will rival a comfy sedan or GT.

Compared to any ā€˜carā€™ the Wrangler will always feel more bouncy, stiff and unforgiving, so if you expect a smooth ride of even a compact you may be dissapointed with even the Sahara.

Daranello

First Name
Darren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JLU Altitude edition
So in the Sahara you'll be much safer in the rain (and partly covered snow) because it has the capability of full-time all-wheel-drive where is in the Rubicon you only have part-time 4 x 4

Sponsored

Phenomenon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Miata
I commute in the Bay Area daily with a manual transmission, and I'll be getting a Rubicon just because I can't stand how the Sahara looks like a mall crawler.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
3- Will the Sahara's transmission, axles and tires be a better option for pavement (including in the rain) and the eventual trip to Lake Tahoe in the winter?
This to me is a separate issue so I will address it as such, separate from the above.

First issue, the Sahara itself isnā€™t better at that, but arguably for a person not off-roading even moderately really, then the forthcoming SelecTrac-II transfer case would be better for the casual snow seeker, especially for one not used to a Wrangler/Part-time TC, and itā€™s only available on the Sahara. The Full-time 4WD option of ST2 will help especially for variable road conditions that go from snow on pavement to dry to standing water hydroplaning puddles in a matter of moments. Also the entry into / exit from ski parking lots sometimes requires 4WD and with a PT system, that can mean binding which is distracting and not great for the drivetrain components.

The problem with getting the Sahara with SelecTrac (aka the 5 position transfer case as it is often refered to in the ownerā€™s manual etc) is that it supposedly doesnā€™t arrive until early next year, so having it for this ski season is unlikely except for Spring skiing, and possibly not even then.

The tyres on the Sahara may be better than on the Rubucon, but both by default are crap winter tyres if the expected options stay the same (retaining the Duellers on the Sahara and new KM2s on the Rubicon), both have better options available to themin the same tyre it seem, and that would be the optional KO2 (focus on the O, donā€™t confuse them when ordering as they are vey different). Those KO2s are GREAT stock all-weather tyres, are snowflake rated and are good for the snow, the road and the trails. The stock KM2s on the Rubicon are not as good on the road, not as good on plowed or already compacted snow (they are better in deep virgin snow though) and they make singificantly more noise and are significantly worse in raina and also a little worse mileage that the other options.

BTW, where in Tahoe? I love Heavenly and Squaw!
Usally go in January before / after CES, might have to skip this year though due to other commitments, despite possible epic snow there this coming year if the patterns hold.

cctvtec

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 JKU Sahara, Incoming '18 JLU Rubicon
I was able to change the color of my order yesterday and I was in D1 status, I called the Jeep customer service number and they sent a email to my area rep that did the change.

OP
OP

malencar

First Name
Mauro Alencar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you for your help everyone. I decided to keep the Rubicon.
I can deal with a slightly stiffer ride to have the coolest, most badass daily commuter in town! :-D

Mauro

Jcsieman

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUS, Lexus RX 350
Hello everyone,

I imagine this post will tick at least some Rubi-lovers off, but I ordered a fully loaded JL Rubicon a couple of days ago (this will be my first Wrangler) and, since doing so, I've been reading a lot more about it and realized that it may be overkill for me since I highly doubt I'll be crawling boulders with it and I'll use it as a daily commuter 99% of the time.
I can afford the Rubi and I've read dozens of posts where people say "if you can afford it just get the Rubicon", but my fear is that, because I haver to commute for at least 2 hours a day here in the Bay Area, its suspension will be too stiff and not as comfortable as the Sahara. So, I have a few questions for you to help inform my decision:

1- Is it true that the Rubicon is a stiffer ride for daily commute and, if so, how noticeable is it?
2- If the difference is noticeable, can I soften the Rubicon's suspension to make it ride smoother?

Thank you in advance for your insights. I haven't even gotten my Wrangler yet and I already feel a cool sense of community being here!

Cheers,

Mauro
Iā€™m probably the least qualified to answer this on this forum as I havenā€™t driven a Wrangler of any kind between my first car purchase in 2006 (2 door Colorado -or something like that- package) and my recent 2017 2 door sahara test drive. In between Iā€™ve owned a used VW Passat, new 2008 Ram quad cab, a 2012 Hyundai Elantra, 2013 Lexus RX 350, and recently my 2015 Mercedes Benz.....quite a difference in ride qualities. What I can say about all of them that universally applies to your question, if you love the car you are more likely to enjoy driving it regardless of its imperfections/the ride quality.

If you are getting a Wrangler for a commute car with such a drive, youā€™ve already made the decision that a comfortable commute isnā€™t a high priority. With that in mind, Iā€™m not sure there will be a huge difference between the Rubi and Sahara that would make it worth changing IF you like the Rubi better. I would get the one you want if there is a clear favorite. That said, if youā€™re on the fence, I would go Sahara as I do believe it fits your needs better. I am going with a Sahara for the same reason...Iā€™ll more likely be on hills and highways than boulders and bayous. I think the tires etc alone would suit the commute better and youā€™d be spending your money on the features youā€™ll enjoy more day to day. I do, however, think this might somewhat delay how fast you get your vehicle.... mostly because it seems as though they are cranking out Rubis first.

Iā€™m sure youā€™ll be happy either way but good luck!

Sponsored

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just as a follow-up FYI, it appears when they release the standard/options list PDF yesterday that the Rubicon will come stock with the good All-Terrain KO2s which is a great fit for your usage. The Sahara appears to have the more road savvy GoodYear Adventure as their optional tyres, but those KO2s will be perfect for your kind of snow and possible soft-roading adventures, and will be more civilized on the road than the optional KM2s.

Enjoy, and while most of us mall-crawl for the majority of our time with our Daily Driver Wranglers, get her proper dirty every once in a while, and be sure to drive a day with the roof and doors off, and the window down, just for shizz & giggles enjoying EVERYTHING she has to offer. :jk:

And... donā€™t be the guy who climbs a mall curb/divider to show-off, it makes us all look bad. :facepalm:

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What I can say about all of them that universally applies to your question, if you love the car you are more likely to enjoy driving it regardless of its imperfections/the ride quality.
Definitely!

I always have a smile on my face when driving my Wrangler with the top down, even in bumper to bumper traffic (maybe thatā€™s partly due to the Carbon Monoxide), and I look at the ride as better than the AMC Eagle, Pontiac Acadian and Dodge Aires I had as donor vehicles as a kid before I got my own, so a Rubi or a Sahara are luxury rides in comparison.

BTW, you can always add one of these, like I do, they also help on the trail or at the concert / hockey / ball game. ;)

CE38FFA7-BC46-49C8-A18C-34CD49DB30A2.jpeg

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
I can deal with a slightly stiffer ride to have the coolest, most badass daily commuter in town! :-D

Mauro
Good decision

danzy55

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2003 Wranger TJ Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Hello everyone,

Cheers,

Mauro
Just cancel, have dealer do a new build for you and apply your original deposit. Sit back and enjoy the 8-10 wk lead time
Sponsored