Sponsored

Ordered a 22 , having a hard time trading in 04

Grace213

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Bought my son's 2000 TJ 4.0L auto for $7500...dealer stealer price at 6k for an LJ.
Sponsored

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Great info . Thanks for posting this . I wonder how many are still on the road .
in your case the less the better than you scale it down to ones that are stock which lessens the number even more.

GrayHawk20

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*See Signature for Info*
Occupation
(Architectural) Jr. Project Coordinator
Vehicle Showcase
Bought my son's 2000 TJ 4.0L auto for $7500...dealer stealer price at 6k for an LJ.
Was able to snag 4.0L auto for around 8.5k a few years ago for my dads retirement. So glad I can enjoy the TJ's

JeezAJeep

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Baja..2019 BMW X2
Sell it outright. The dealer wants to make a fortune on the trade

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Assuming it's a rust free non rubicon LJ you should have no problem getting around 14k for it. I'd probably post it around 16k and see what happens. 6k is a joke.

Sponsored

JLUW75

First Name
Eddie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Engineer
I have had a 2004 wrangler unlimited since new . 17 plus years , 131.000 Miles , no mechanical problems , just wear items , tires , brakes , and fluid service .
I ordered a new wrangler on
11-5-21 .
Dealer traded in a 2020 cherokee trail hawk for what I paid for it a year ago .
They only want to give 6,000.00 for my 04 unlimited on trade . Looking for input . The offer for the 04 seems low . Don't want to give it away
Just go online: Carvana.com, Vroom.com, Carmax.com, and appraise it.

KarnaughMI

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JLUR
Just adding to the advice ... sell it on your own or keep it if you can.

Got my daughter a 2004 TJ Rubicon with 130K on it and we paid near 10K for it (pre-pandemic). Automatic, hard top, cruise control, solid body and frame is in really really good shape. All of the ones we looked at had bad frames or the body was in bad shape.

If it were me ... I'd keep it and make that my wheelin' vehicle. I love watching LJs on the rocks.

-Tom

omega145

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon Recon
Occupation
Engineer
Try cargurus.com, sold my last 2 cars there. Only $5 and gets a lot of eyeballs. Found a much quicker success rate (at a cheaper price) there than any other site over the past couple of years.
Or sell it an at auction site like Cars&Bids. You'll easily get 8-10K there for sure.

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
I have had a 2004 wrangler unlimited since new . 17 plus years , 131.000 Miles , no mechanical problems , just wear items , tires , brakes , and fluid service .
I ordered a new wrangler on
11-5-21 .
Dealer traded in a 2020 cherokee trail hawk for what I paid for it a year ago .
They only want to give 6,000.00 for my 04 unlimited on trade . Looking for input . The offer for the 04 seems low . Don't want to give it away
Dont let anyone kid ya, LJ's are highly sought after right now. If it was mine I would put 16k on it and negotiate from there. If the frame is clean and has only minor surface rust and the body is rust free it will bring 15k-16k easy.

OP
OP
Slaw32

Slaw32

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 willy's sport
A couple of rust spots on front fenders everything else solid . It has always been in a heated garage . Winter time in south dakota that is huge . Any snow buildup from daily winter driving melted off in a short time . Wife went to and from work with it

Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Sell it PP. I got $10K for my 2003 TJ with 170,000 on it. It was in good shape and ran great, not modified a bunch. Dealer offered me $5K for it.

Timmyjoe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport-S "Islander" (2-Door)
Dealers low-balled me the past two times I bought a new vehicle and had a good, solid trade-in that was well maintained and running like new.

So, I got them detail cleaned, inside and out. Put them on Craigslist with lots of photos and sold them for thousands over what the dealer offered. Quick and painless.

Note: I also tried Vroom, Carvana, etc and got nothing but low ball, insulting offers from them, too.
I agree with @west tex, clean it up, wax it, buff it out if need be, detail the snot out of it, and sell it on Craigslist. Worked great for us and got thousands more than trade-in offer.

Best,
-Tim

Coletrickle

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 TJ Rubicon, 19 JLU Rubicon, 21 JT Mojave
Occupation
Build Electricity with Coal
A couple of rust spots on front fenders everything else solid . It has always been in a heated garage . Winter time in south dakota that is huge . Any snow buildup from daily winter driving melted off in a short time . Wife went to and from work with it
Do you guys use salt on the snow covered roads up there? They do here in Illinois and it will make the underside look undesireable in short order. My TJ has never seen salted road. It hides out when the roads are like that.

ZellymtWillys

First Name
Mitchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1992 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 21 JLU Willys on order
You could even try online auctions if the Jeep is in good enough condition. I just sold my 1992 XJ on Cars & Bids. 158,000 miles and it sold for $14,500.
Sponsored