Sponsored

Ordered a 2021 JLU. Any Steering Improvements for the Model?

dangualtieri

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL
I must be out of my mind, because after my 2020 was a lemon (rod knock at 400 miles), I ordered a 2021 to be built exactly the way I want it.

I have the fear that the 2021 will arrive, I'll test drive it, and it will be all over the road because of the ubiquitous yet oft denied steering issue. So far I've put nothing down and simply asked the dealer to build it and have it delivered to the dealership. So two questions....
  1. Is there any improvements to the steering issues planned by FCA? New steering box? Ensuring it's programmed correctly from the factory? Improved front end? I ordered it with SelecTrac, will that help at all?
  2. If I test drive the JL after it's delivered and the steering is trash, am I under any obligation to buy it?
Thanks.
Sponsored

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
A couple of things to consider.

1) my 2020 JL steers perfectly as do many others From ‘18, ‘19, and ‘20
2) some JLs don’t steer perfectly (according to their owners) and a subset of those reports, I believe have a real problem.
3) the steering issue with JLs is not “ubiquitous“.

My advice: when your Jeep is delivered, take it on a test drive, at speed, on the highway and satisfy yourself that it steers perfectly. Personally, I believe that it will.

i have never ordered a vehicle so I cannot answer your last question.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
The short answer is NO, you are under no obligation. Test driving your factory order is just like test driving a vehicle off the lot. The only differences being that (1) your name is on the sticker, and (2) it has the exact options you wanted. You only incur an obligation the moment you sign a sales contract and it gets processed.

Per any improvements made to the steering: none have been reported. Any improvements are unlike to occur until JL gets its mid-cycle redesign in 2023.

FWIW: I test drove a dozen JLs before buying one. Roughly 4 out of the 12 had a loose steering. So it is not an “insignificant” number. I could not tell what may be the cause(s): some where 2.0T, some were V6, some were Saharas and some were Rubicons. I didn’t not check tire pressures, nor if the Saharas had the stock or the optional tires. Thankfully, the steering on the one I bought is fine.

Good luck.

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
I'm late to the thread, but something else to keep in mind:

Your dealer may have overlooked the need to fix your vehicle's tire pressure. I had a vague center of steering (a middle area left-right in the steering wheel that didn't steer either way)... and no wonder.

They set the tires to 41-42 PSI cold. It should have been 37 PSI. Those 4 PSI (measured cold) makes a world of difference when it comes to steering! Far better grip on turns, too.

I have to wonder if Jeep needs to take a stick to a few of these dealers to make sure they adjust the tire pressure after the vehicles come off the truck. Very hot / very cold climates, especially.
Sponsored