Not open for further replies.

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Seems that every JL or JLU that I see the Jeep site for dealer inventory within 150 miles of here are white, black, or some shade between them. I ordered my red JL Sport exactly a month ago and I'm just in D1 without even a build date set. I've seen other people who ordered after me and they have already received their vehicles. It would be nice if I could make some sense out of it.

Did you order something special like a 2.0L turbo or a power sky top? Seems strange yours would be stuck unless something is missing for the build.
Sponsored

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Seems that every JL or JLU that I see the Jeep site for dealer inventory within 150 miles of here are white, black, or some shade between them. I ordered my red JL Sport exactly a month ago and I'm just in D1 without even a build date set. I've seen other people who ordered after me and they have already received their vehicles. It would be nice if I could make some sense out of it.
yes...that's the problem. Lots are FULL of white, black or grey Jeeps. It's like really yall? Do u not know yo Jeep customers? TBH I know folks that just bought Jeeps that were on the lot bc they didn't want to wait to get a special color, not because they preferred those neutral colors. I mean, I would think that the dealers would have a plethora of colors for these Jeeps...I guaranteee you, they won't be sitting in the lot like the white, black and grey ones are, right now.

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
Omg. My Jeep is on the dealer website. It’s both exciting and freaking me out. I got to call them Monday and get it taken down.

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Omg. My Jeep is on the dealer website. It’s both exciting and freaking me out. I got to call them Monday and get it taken down.

All of them show up on the dealers website once they ship. It will show in transit on the website. It seems to be the last step before you get the call it has arrived. I look at mine on the dealers website far too often.

sleepnclass

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Rubicon Recon
All of them show up on the dealers website once they ship. It will show in transit on the website. It seems to be the last step before you get the call it has arrived. I look at mine on the dealers website far too often.
My dealership is only 3.5 hours from the Ohio plant. I wonder when I’ll be able to buy it. I’m so excited now.

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Retired engineer (NASA, aerospace, DoD); ex-Navy
Vehicle Showcase
yes...that's the problem. Lots are FULL of white, black or grey Jeeps. It's like really yall? Do u not know yo Jeep customers? TBH I know folks that just bought Jeeps that were on the lot bc they didn't want to wait to get a special color, not because they preferred those neutral colors. I mean, I would think that the dealers would have a plethora of colors for these Jeeps...I guaranteee you, they won't be sitting in the lot like the white, black and grey ones are, right now.
I was originally going to go with a white JL, but my wife thought that the red "looks more cool". It's not that big of a deal to me, so I agreed to it so that she *thinks* she has some input into it. :)

Personally, I think a white vehicle is more practical in the Texas Gulf Coast area due to the heat, but considering the fact that the JL has a black roof, that probably doesn't make as much of a difference. If the air-conditioner is not able to keep up with our summer heat, I might design some insulated panels to go in the roof. I'm thinking some 1" thick R-5 panels covered in leather might work.

One thing I was not going to compromise on though was the manual transmission. At my age and considering how long I kept my last pickup, this might be my last car -- unless I get involved in a major accident (and survive). I've suffered through the last 14 years with an automatic transmission because my wife *said* that if my car didn't have an automatic, that meant that she couldn't drive it. And then she never drove it anyway -- not even willing to drive it a few feet to move it out of way so that she can pull her car out of the garage. So, this time, I said to 'ell with her, I'm getting what *I* like and if she can't drive it, GREAT -- that just means that it is lot less likely to have a dent in the rear of it from her backing into something. :(

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ (sold), WJ (sold), Ram 1500 QC 4x4 (sold 2018.06.07), Wrangler JL Sport 2-door (ordered 2018.06.08)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Did you order something special like a 2.0L turbo or a power sky top? Seems strange yours would be stuck unless something is missing for the build.
2-door JL Sport (red) + air-conditioning + anti-spin diff + hardtop

Fairly basic...

TaiMc

First Name
Tai
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport Mojito!, 3.6L & '18 Ninja 400 KRT
Occupation
Communications Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I was originally going to go with a white JL, but my wife thought that the red "looks more cool". It's not that big of a deal to me, so I agreed to it so that she *thinks* she has some input into it. :)

One thing I was not going to compromise on though was the manual transmission. At my age and considering how long I kept my last pickup, this might be my last car -- unless I get involved in a major accident (and survive). I've suffered through the last 14 years with an automatic transmission because my wife *said* that if my car didn't have an automatic, that meant that she couldn't drive it. And then she never drove it anyway -- not even willing to drive it a few feet to move it out of way so that she can pull her car out of the garage. So, this time, I said to 'ell with her, I'm getting what *I* like and if she can't drive it, GREAT -- that just means that it is lot less likely to have a dent in the rear of it from her backing into something. :(
lol u so mean to her!!!! That's your baby and u know it! <3 I'm sure she'll appreciate the Red color :)

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
2-door JL Sport (red) + air-conditioning + anti-spin diff + hardtop

Fairly basic...
I guess it could be due it being a 2dr. That’s the only reason I could see it taking longer. Maybe there is such a backlog of 2dr. They are trying to get caught up . That’s my only guess. I would be frustrated too. Just remember there’s nothing like driving a 2dr Jeep. I just sold my 2dr JK last month and I miss driving it around. I have a 4 dr JK that I also like, but there is nothing like a 2dr. I need room for the kids.

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I guess it could be due it being a 2dr. That’s the only reason I could see it taking longer. Maybe there is such a backlog of 2dr. They are trying to get caught up . That’s my only guess. I would be frustrated too. Just remember there’s nothing like driving a 2dr Jeep. I just sold my 2dr JK last month and I miss driving it around. I have a 4 dr JK that I also like, but there is nothing like a 2dr. I need room for the kids.
Unfortunately, the 2-door JL is a bit on the large size compared to the older Wranglers and CJs. I was looking at the specs on it recently and notice that it is only 0.3" shorter than the 4-door XJ that I used to own and I most definitely did not consider it *small*. Hell, I could fold down the rear seats in it and lay out and sleep if I did it diagonally.

Model|Length|Width (mirrors folded or removed)|Wheelbase
JL|166.6"|73.9"|96.8"
JK|164.3|73.7"|95.4"
WJ (2001-2003)|181.6"|72.6"|105.9"
XJ (1994-1996)|166.9"|67.7"|101.4"
TJ (1996-1999)|151.2"|68.3"|93.4"
TJ SWB (2004-2006)|154.9"|66.7"|93.4"
YJ (1986-1989|152.6"|66"|93.4"
YJ (1989-1992|153"|66"|93.4"
YJ (1992-1995|151.9"|66"|93.4"
CJ-7|148"|68.5"|93.3"
CJ-5 (1954-1971)|138.2"|68.5"|81"
CJ-5 (1972-1983)|138.2"|68.5"|83.5"
VW Golf TDI (2011)|165.4"|70.3"|101.5"
Porsche Boxster (2018)|172.4"|70.9"|97.44"
Porsche 944 Turbo (1989)|168.8"|68.3"|94.5"

As you can see, the 2-door Wrangler / CJs have gotten steadily larger over the years.

I was originally hoping to be able to squeeze both the JL and my Harley on one side of my garage, but it looks like it will probably be too long to do that.

Now, the XJ had an extra 4.6" of wheelbase over the JL despite it only being 0.3" longer overall, so that makes me wonder if the fact that the JL mounts the tire on the rear whereas the XJ mounted it inside the cargo area makes the JL seem longer than it is. I would not be surprised if due to the safety regulations, bumpers on the JL are deeper than the ones on the XJ. I do remember the XJ's bumper being a pretty wimpy little sheet metal affair.

Last edited:

Sponsored

NavyVet1959

Banned
Banned
First Name
OldFart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
lol u so mean to her!!!! That's your baby and u know it! <3 I'm sure she'll appreciate the Red color :)
Wait until you've been married to the same person for over half of your life and see how you feel...

Or as the saying goes, "marriage is just finding someone you want to annoy for the rest of your life"...

bkjunk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Toyota FJ, 2014 Nissan 370z, 2003 Mini Cooper s
That’s great, what you getting? I ordered 6/15 from DeMontrond, they should be on the same truck.
Mojito Saraha, dual top safety group, proximity, LED. Which one is yours? You can see them "in-transit" on the dealer site. This one is the wife's jeep, but I am keeping her old FJ as my "burner" car.

wbee

First Name
Wade
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 JKU, 2018 JLUR
Now, the XJ had an extra 4.6" of wheelbase over the JL despite it only being 0.3" longer overall, so that makes me wonder if the fact that the JL mounts the tire on the rear whereas the XJ mounted it inside the cargo area makes the JL seem longer than it is. I would not be surprised if due to the safety regulations, bumpers on the JL are deeper than the ones on the XJ. I do remember the XJ's bumper being a pretty wimpy little sheet metal affair.[/QUOTE]

Excellent point, sound like you’ve had a few Jeeps over the years. I had a CJ5 and sometimes it was scary wheeling it because of the size, IMO it was too short of wheelbase and narrow. I liked my YJ and it was great to drive, much better than the CJ. My favorite has been my JK even though it was a little bigger, I didn’t feel like my JK lost anything in maneuverability due to its increased size (only in the garage as you mentioned) My JKU is a different story, it’s not nearly as maneuverable but it hold more gear and the family.

Good luck on getting your JL sooner than later and thank you for your service in the Navy!

USAFChiefret

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2018 Wrangler Rubicon in Ocean Blue on May 4th
Occupation
Retired
Our JLUR has been sitting in the Marion offsite. Today is day 6. Hopefully the 10-14 July estimated delivery date holds true. Would be nice to get it sooner but not holding my breath. Lol

D4517DA2-FF35-4D2E-AAC2-E54515983DA8.jpeg
My Jeep is still showing location in Marion....but here’s where it really was as of this past Friday.

Picked it up Friday afternoon. Getting the Mopar lift and 35” Toyo AT II tires installed tomorrow.

It is definitely a sweet ride. Love it!

4D6F2880-9D86-4447-B9FD-7567679EC765.jpeg

5EB1268A-581C-4D85-9D55-B97618B4B3DA.jpeg

alltimesaresoon

First Name
dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fiat 124 spider abarth
Guess who's mile high this morning?

IMG_20180708_080943.jpg