Sponsored

Order, take dealership stock or buy used?

How did you acquire your Wrangler?

• Total voters

Hogdreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cherokee, 2021 Sahara Altitude
While talking to the dealer on what options I wanted on a 2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Altitude, I noticed she was trying hard to find a like Jeep at another dealership since they didn't have one with those options and color.

My wife's 2019 Cherokee High Altitude was bought at this dealership but taken from a different dealer's stock as it met my criteria.

Wondering how many Wrangler owners go through the ordering process. And how many don't.

This Wrangler will only be the 10th new vehicle I've ever purchased as I tend to keep them for a long time. This is the first time though that I did a factory order.
Sponsored

Archeonomy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vanderhall
What I was looking for seemed pretty common but in 2 years of searching new and used I never found one that had exactly what I wanted, didn't want to settle for something close, and so I ordered it.

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I ordered my last 2 wranglers. The ones on the lots have too many options for my simple taste. Enjoy the new Jeep.

stylett9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I was very lucky to find a model that had exactly what I wanted, at the dealership I wanted to buy from. AND, because it was early days of covid, they were willing to discount heavily. Otherwise, I was prepared to order and wait. My JLUR is the most expensive car I’ve ever purchased, so I didn’t want to make any compromises.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
FCA (now Stellantis I suppose) vehicles just have too many option boxes in my opinion. It's not necessarily a bad thing depending on your tastes/needs, but for me, it made finding exactly what I wanted sitting on a lot impossible.

Specifically, about 2 years ago when I was looking for my Jeep, I wanted basically all the "luxury" options (heated seats/wheel, remote start, proximity key, adaptive cruise, LED lights all around) but I did not want leather. Most Jeeps I found that had all these options either had leather, or they had the 2.0T engine. I just didn't wanna pay the extra money for that engine, have no real other issues with it.

Same thing now that I'm waiting on my Ram 3500 I just ordered. I wanted all the bells and whistles of the Longhorn trim, but I do not want a sunroof (head rubs the ceiling). Couldn't find any optioned trucks without the sunroof, as the dealerships usually check that box as well because its an appealing option to most.

I've come to the conclusion that if you have the money and patience, an ordered vehicle is hands down the way to go. It's really cool to know that you're driving around something that YOU very specifically optioned. And, the Jeep has my wife's name on the window sticker which was a cool touch, and the truck's sticker will have mine.

Sponsored

JLUCQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392
Dealer had exactly what I wanted sitting on the lot. If I were to order I may have jumped to the leather seats but it wasn't important to me. I actually really like the cloth now.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Dealer had exactly what I wanted sitting on the lot. If I were to order I may have jumped to the leather seats but it wasn't important to me. I actually really like the cloth now.
Cloth is the best option. The only time leather is acceptable to me is when it's ventilated and in a vehicle that doesn't have a removable roof.

Tejas

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JULRD
A lady ran her red light and totaled my Grand Cherokee, so i needed a vehicle pretty quick so i took one off the dealer lot. The one they had with everything i wanted was a diesel, which i didn't really want. I can't imagine not having the diesel now lol.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
A lady ran her red light and totaled my Grand Cherokee, so i needed a vehicle pretty quick so i took one off the dealer lot. The one they had with everything i wanted was a diesel, which i didn't really want. I can't imagine not having the diesel now lol.
At least you're not like these dudes on the Ram forum that order their trucks, and then start ordering 5th wheels and planning trips, and THEN getting all bent out of shape when their truck isn't delivered in lightning speed.

I think you made the only correct choice in your situation, obviously everyone's circumstances are different.

Volstock

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Info Sec
I used TrueCar to put in what I was looking for. The first call I got was from a dealer near by that didn't have the exact model I asked about but he asked me what it was I really wanted. I told him my three must haves were the V6, 4 doors and an automatic. He asked if I had a color preference I said Hella Yella or red. He had 2 Unlimited Sport Altitudes on the lot, one yellow and one red. He sent me a link to the yellow one and the rest is history.

Sponsored

DWS44

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toy Box: 2022 JLUR 392 + '17 C7 GS & '21 C8 Vettes
Occupation
CAD/IT Manager (Civil/Airport Design)
I had initially passed on a JL to buy a Colorado ZR2 to try something different after several years in a JK. Six weeks and 1,100 Miles in, someone turned across in front of me on way to work one morning...ZR2 totaled. Came out well on Insurance, thank goodness. While looking for a quick replacement, one of the local Jeep dealers had just received a new JLR to inventory that was almost exactly how I would have ordered one, which was amazing considering a 2-door Manual Rubicon. Worked out a deal after I got the insurance settlement and brought it home.

tts42572

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Ordered mine. Mostly because there just didn't seem to be much stock at dealerships around me in Upstate NY and I couldn't find what I wanted.

For whatever it's worth, my salesman did say that most people seem to want to custom order Wranglers and that's one reason they don't carry a big stock. And the results of this poll seem to back that up.

It's probably a chicken or the egg type of thing though. I mean, If they dealerships had more stock I'd have taken one off the lot if I found one I wanted. That said though, I did enjoy ordering one and knowing that I was getting one fresh off the presses that hadn't been sitting on some dealers lot for awhile.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
FCA (now Stellantis I suppose) vehicles just have too many option boxes in my opinion. It's not necessarily a bad thing depending on your tastes/needs, but for me, it made finding exactly what I wanted sitting on a lot impossible.

Specifically, about 2 years ago when I was looking for my Jeep, I wanted basically all the "luxury" options (heated seats/wheel, remote start, proximity key, adaptive cruise, LED lights all around) but I did not want leather. Most Jeeps I found that had all these options either had leather, or they had the 2.0T engine. I just didn't wanna pay the extra money for that engine, have no real other issues with it.

Same thing now that I'm waiting on my Ram 3500 I just ordered. I wanted all the bells and whistles of the Longhorn trim, but I do not want a sunroof (head rubs the ceiling). Couldn't find any optioned trucks without the sunroof, as the dealerships usually check that box as well because its an appealing option to most.

I've come to the conclusion that if you have the money and patience, an ordered vehicle is hands down the way to go. It's really cool to know that you're driving around something that YOU very specifically optioned. And, the Jeep has my wife's name on the window sticker which was a cool touch, and the truck's sticker will have mine.
This is a funny take on this. This would normally say “i have very unusual requirements. Luckily FCA let’s me order exactly what i want and get a better price to boot!”

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
This is a funny take on this. This would normally say “i have very unusual requirements. Luckily FCA let’s me order exactly what i want and get a better price to boot!”
That's exactly right! I certainly do have unusual tastes it would seem. It certainly helps knowing the ways to get a good deal on ordered vehicles, though these days, those ways aren't really a secret.

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
I ordered to get exactly what I wanted. If I could find a Jeep that was exactly what I wanted or close to, I would've jumped on it. Ordering sucks. The waiting period, even if it's only 3-4 weeks takes forever. I can't imagine waiting any longer.
Sponsored