Sponsored

Order 4xe now or get one from Dealer?

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
My $.02. As stated somewhere above, if you want the Skytop, it cannot be a dealer add later. Jeep doesn't seem to operate this way. As far a wait, as long as your dealer puts the order in a a "sold order," it gets build priority. I'm waitng on a 4xe now that I ordered 2/1. It was built in three weeks. I just don't have it yet because of the EPA MPG rating holdup for all 4xe's. My last Jeep, 2017 JKUR Hard Rock arrived at the dealer four weeks after ordering.

Check in with multiple dealers and go with the best deal. For me, on the 4xe, that was the one who gave a slightly higher sales price, but $2k better on trade-in on my Ram.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I always order. As for delays, I ordered my current one at the peak of COVID (July) and the wait was just a little longer than usual. Six weeks is the norm per my experience. Once you order, you will never buy off the lot again.

Also, people drive themselves crazy going from dealer-to-dealer to save $1,000, and then buy a Jeep, off the lot, with a $1,000 option they don’t want and in a compromised color.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
And that's another thing to consider since I'll be trading in the Titan. Don't necessarily need to but if I can find a good enough deal from a dealer then it's worth it instead of trying to sell privately.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
And that's another thing to consider since I'll be trading in the Titan. Don't necessarily need to but if I can find a good enough deal from a dealer then it's worth it instead of trying to sell privately.
It would be rare if the dealership give you close to what you can get selling privately. As stated a couple times before, the skytop is very different than the soft or hard top. I don't know of any dealerships which install that top. In general, you will pay more to have a factory option installed at the dealership than at the factory. There are some options on vehicles which you can build as if it is factory installed but it is actually installed by the dealership. My 2016 Camaro 2SS had a couple of these options. If it is one of those options, you can have them done later and may not pay much more or the same. Check the forums out on those who had the 8.4 premium radio system ordered from the factory and those who had it installed later by the dealership.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Most dealers will probably be selling the 4xe on a lot at MSRP or markup I would guess, demand should be high. Order one through a dealer today for 5-7% off invoice. It wouldn't be too far behind any 4xe you would find on a dealer lot anyway.

Sponsored

Rinav

First Name
Rinav
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4XE
Most dealers will probably be selling the 4xe on a lot at MSRP or markup I would guess, demand should be high. Order one through a dealer today for 5-7% off invoice. It wouldn't be too far behind any 4xe you would find on a dealer lot anyway.
I totally agree. Custom order your jeep with a dealer. Plenty will get you 11% below MSRP (with tread lightly) which is probably much better than you will get with a jeep at the dealership. Send me a message if you would like the dealer I am working with in NC. No price haggling either.

JustinWPI11

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Gladiator
I bought a Jeep Gladiator off the lot last year and was able to get the dealer to 4% below invoice. But it took considerable haggling and the threat of ordering out of state. The only thing it didn’t have that I wanted was the Aux switches. Which is probably one of the few items they can (and did) add after the fact. Now we just ordered a 4xe from the same dealer just as my wife wants it and the dealer did 4% below invoice right off the bat with no haggling. Maybe it was because we were a return customer, but the custom order was much easier and the way I would go again.

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
If I were in your position, I would wait until about 6 months after folks start driving their new 4xe's to make sure there are no issues with the new platform. You have the luxury of time on your side.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I never sell my trade-ins privately, but I did last
fall. At least at that time, the used market favored sellers big time.

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
If I were in your position, I would wait until about 6 months after folks start driving their new 4xe's to make sure there are no issues with the new platform. You have the luxury of time on your side.
this. And order

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
I never sell my trade-ins privately, but I did last
fall. At least at that time, the used market favored sellers big time.
Not sure how it is for everyone else, but in Ohio, sales tax on a new car purchase (not used car) is reduced by the trade in value. In my county, sales tax is 6.75%, so if I had a trade-in that the dealer would give me say, $20K for, I'd have to sell it privately for $21,350 to get the same value. I'd rather not have to deal with the hassles of having people come look at my vehicle until I find the buyer who can pay cash and close the deal. As long as the dealer gets close to what I think they should be offering me, then I'm good trading in.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not sure how it is for everyone else, but in Ohio, sales tax on a new car purchase (not used car) is reduced by the trade in value. In my county, sales tax is 6.75%, so if I had a trade-in that the dealer would give me say, $20K for, I'd have to sell it privately for $21,350 to get the same value. I'd rather not have to deal with the hassles of having people come look at my vehicle until I find the buyer who can pay cash and close the deal. As long as the dealer gets close to what I think they should be offering me, then I'm good trading in.
I had all of the same concerns, and our tax rate is over 8%. Sold in less than one day, and was $2K ahead even foregoing the tax shield. My motivation was the fact that the dealer would only commit to a trade value that did not reflect the selling environment. I was expecting a hassle selling it, but I was pleasantly surprised

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
They are so close to releasing the 4xe that you might want to wait until you can test drive one and make sure it is exactly what you want. Once they release all the ones in storage, dealers will have demos. I would take a demo over night and run that thing down, charge it back up, ect. Enjoy the new Jeep!

OP
OP
LJ_3M121318

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
They are so close to releasing the 4xe that you might want to wait until you can test drive one and make sure it is exactly what you want. Once they release all the ones in storage, dealers will have demos. I would take a demo over night and run that thing down, charge it back up, ect. Enjoy the new Jeep!
That's a great point. I mean if the build time is only a few weeks, then I should sit back, test drive the demo's and then place the order. I'm actually test driving a regular rubicon and a diesel rubicon this weekend for the general Rubicon feel....then will test drive the 4xe since it looks like they will be hitting the lots in April.

hisdigness

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe Sahara
Something to consider, Autonation and Truecar Instant cash offer give way more than carmax or a dealer trade-in. You can check it on their sites and answer the questions honestly and boom guaranteed price.
Sponsored