Sponsored

Oracle reverse lights wire routing from outside to inside?

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 3.0 Diesel - Firecracker Red
Occupation
Retired USN
For those of you who used Oracle's supplied harness, or ran your own wires for their reverse lights, at what location did you route the wires from the exterior to the interior? I will also be routing a wire to the aux switches and connecting to the the aux wires in the passenger footwell, which shouldn't be too difficult once I get the harness inside the vehicle to attach to the reverse light wiring.
Sponsored

threeve

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Occupation
Code Monkey
I don't have these lights, but I'm considering them. There is a rubber grommet above the passenger tail light that you can pass wires through. I recently used this grommet for installing the trailer wiring harness. From there it's a straight shot under the carpet and trim up to the passenger foot well

PA-Punkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLR, 2012 BMW 328 Wagon, 2002 BMW 330 Cabrio
Occupation
IT
Vehicle Showcase
I used the drain hole located in the jack storage area

OP
OP
Robnfl

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USN
Thanks for your replies!

I removed the passenger tail light to try and connect Oracle's wiring harness and noticed that that area isn't exactly water tight, there are numerous holes to route a wire to the tail lights.
@threeve - I'll look for that grommet to route the wire forward to the aux switch.

On a side note when I tried to attach @ORACLElights harness to the male connector on the tail light harness, it wouldn't seat far enough to close the latch as others have reported. But, all I had to do was insert a screwdriver into the female connector and tap the pin block further in, about 1/4". Now the connector seats perfectly.

I'll tackle the rest of the install tomorrow.

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your replies!

I removed the passenger tail light to try and connect Oracle's wiring harness and noticed that that area isn't exactly water tight, there are numerous holes to route a wire to the tail lights.
@threeve - I'll look for that grommet to route the wire forward to the aux switch.

On a side note when I tried to attach @ORACLElights harness to the male connector on the tail light harness, it wouldn't seat far enough to close the latch as others have reported. But, all I had to do was insert a screwdriver into the female connector and tap the pin block further in, about 1/4". Now the connector seats perfectly.

I just routed up through existing spaces in the the space behind the tail light. The driver's side especially has very easy access from that space to underneath the Jeep. I made sure to add dielectric grease to the connectors while I was in there.

Sponsored

Gadgettr1

First Name
Chip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
college student
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your replies!

I also had issues with the seating of the Oracle harness. A buddy of mine took them apart and reseated each pin and the block so that they fit together properly.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Hi there is a lengthy thread here about the need for a diode on the aux and light tap to avoid canbus errors. Also you may want to consider running cable to aux in engine bay through passenger frame rail— details in that same thread.

For those of you who used Oracle's supplied harness, or ran your own wires for their reverse lights, at what location did you route the wires from the exterior to the interior? I will also be routing a wire to the aux switches and connecting to the the aux wires in the passenger footwell, which shouldn't be too difficult once I get the harness inside the vehicle to attach to the reverse light wiring.

OP
OP
Robnfl

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USN
Hi there is a lengthy thread here about the need for a diode on the aux and light tap to avoid canbus errors. Also you may want to consider running cable to aux in engine bay through passenger frame rail— details in that same thread.
Yeah, I'm definitely going to install diodes.

Reactions: TJP

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Yeah, I'm definitely going to install diodes.
@Robnfl

It's far far easier going the outside route .....just run a single wire from an Aux wire in the engine compartment bundle down the inside of the passenger side frame rail. Takes about 10-15 min to easily run the single wire.

You will need 2 diodes to do the install if you want to be 100% sure CAN bus does not get pissy.

chacomaya

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2013 VW Golf R, 2016 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT, 2015 KTM 500EXC
Vehicle Showcase
If you have the tow package you can avoid the issues mentioned above by tapping into the reverse light wire on the 7-pin connector using a PosiTap and then waterproofing it with Liquid Electrical Tape.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you have the tow package you can avoid the issues mentioned above by tapping into the reverse light wire on the 7-pin connector using a PosiTap and then waterproofing it with Liquid Electrical Tape.
Agree 100%.

That Oracle harness is best avoided.

IF you go the 7 pin connector for b/u and also hook to an Aux switch you still need 2 diodes in the mix.

OP
OP
Robnfl

Robnfl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired USN
@Robnfl

It's far far easier going the outside route .....just run a single wire from an Aux wire in the engine compartment bundle down the inside of the passenger side frame rail. Takes about 10-15 min to easily run the single wire.
Hmmm...doesn't sound easy, but I'll give it a try.

You will need 2 diodes to do the install if you want to be 100% sure CAN bus does not get pissy.
Yeah, I purchased the two diodes when I ordered the lights. I received the diodes a few days after ordering...the lights took 2 months.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hmmm...doesn't sound easy, but I'll give it a try.

Yeah, I purchased the two diodes when I ordered the lights. I received the diodes a few days after ordering...the lights took 2 months.

@Robnfl

I have done the running of the single wire from the Aux bundle, down the passenger frame rail at least 10 times... A few on 2 doors and a few on the 4 doors. (for other owner's)

Running the frame rail is easy easy on a 2 door and on;y a tad less easy with a 4 dr. With the 4 dr. the rail has a bend that takes a little longer to transverse. It is still easy goings though. I just use a metal coat hangar.

Place your one diode up front, right where you hook up to the Aux wire.

TJP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
@Rhinebeck01

You have been really helpful with your posts on this topic.

Im going to run two flush mounted led tied into the reverse lights (tow harness), and aux 3.

To confirm I have this right, aux 3 to diode run wire from diode to rear in frame.

Tap off tow harness, diode, and connect to aux wire with short length of wire.

Connect the red wires between lights and then connect that wire to power line in last step.

Connect black wires to short length of wire and ground it using self tapping screw and wire hoop.

Im having a hard time visualizing this and hoping for a second set of eyes for advice.

Thanks!

@Robnfl

I have done the running of the single wire from the Aux bundle, down the passenger frame rail at least 10 times... A few on 2 doors and a few on the 4 doors. (for other owner's)

Running the frame rail is easy easy on a 2 door and on;y a tad less easy with a 4 dr. With the 4 dr. the rail has a bend that takes a little longer to transverse. It is still easy goings though. I just use a metal coat hangar.

Place your one diode up front, right where you hook up to the Aux wire.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Rhinebeck01

You have been really helpful with your posts on this topic.

Im going to run two flush mounted led tied into the reverse lights (tow harness), and aux 3.

To confirm I have this right, aux 3 to diode run wire from diode to rear in frame.

Tap off tow harness, diode, and connect to aux wire with short length of wire.

Connect the red wires between lights and then connect that wire to power line in last step.

Connect black wires to short length of wire and ground it using self tapping screw and wire hoop.

Im having a hard time visualizing this and hoping for a second set of eyes for advice.

Thanks!
@TJP
Do take a few minutes to read all of this thread so you are clear regarding the diodes, etc..

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-lights.10763/
Sponsored