adamk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S Altitude
Vehicle Showcase
I recently purchased a Sport S and have started a long list of mods, starting with the lighting. I really wanted LED lights, so decided to purchase both the Oracle LED headlights and taillights- the latter being a quick and easy install. I wanted to share my headlight install notes, as I ran into some difficulties but ultimately got everything up and running. Disclaimer - never have worked on a car in my life, so by no means an expert.

Before and after photos, along with some install notes and pictures.

Before
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_164303
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_164441

After
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_201631
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_201924
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_201934

I dont know if I was just being too gentle with the grill, but it felt like this thing was going to break in half before I could get it off. Eventually yanked the thing off without breaking anything thankfully, but wanted to share the clip locations for those of you new to getting this thing off. It helps if you can get your hand behind the grill, closer to these points, before pulling.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install Grill Clips

Disconnecting the existing lights takes only a few minutes, and running the wires through the engine bay is as difficult as you choose to make it. I ran the driver lighting cable near the upper radiator, where there were already cables. Zip tied it to the existing cable.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install Passenger Cable
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_185232

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install Passenger Cable 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_201107

Where I ran into most of my issues was with the connection to the frame and fuse box. I quickly discovered that the wire to the fuse box was not as long as in the available install videos. All the videos I found recommended drilling a hole in the back, however the wire wouldnt reach the F52 slot. I had to drill into the front, and it barely reached the slot.

Also had some trouble finding F52, because I assumed there wouldnt be a fuse there. Wrong assumption - eventually figured out you have to pull the 20 Amp fuse, and plug it into the provided adapter, along with the 5 Amp fuse in the Oracle kit.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_181416
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_181406
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_181542
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_181549

In all the movement to get the wire to reach, I actually severed the grounding ring eyelet from the cable. I know this was more install error, however wish there was a better connection to the ring eyelet. As a short term fix, I took some 15 Amp wiring, cut and stripped both ends, and then created a jumper between the body bolt and the Oracle adapter. I realize this is interior wiring, so thoroughly wrapped it with electrical tape and hope that will suffice. May eventually replace with something else, but did the job and lighting works.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_191625
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_191630
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_192840
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_194101
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_194430

Overall was not a difficult installation but for someone with little car knowledge, seems like there are some important steps not mentioned and/or clarified. Love the head lights, and will eventually hook up the RGB lighting once the Bluetooth controllers are back in stock.

P.S. - snapped below image before I realized I had wrapped the grounding wire to the wrong bolt. I moved it over during installation but forgot to snap a pic.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200620_191711

Here is a quick pic of the Oracle LED tailights.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install Taillights
Sponsored

Last edited:

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
Well done. I've worked on cars all my life and I don't see how I could have done better. I purchased the same kit but it arrives next week. Some kits require flashing the vehicle computer. Am I correct that the halos work without needing to flash?

OP
OP
adamk

adamk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Well done. I've worked on cars all my life and I don't see how I could have done better. I purchased the same kit but it arrives next week. Some kits require flashing the vehicle computer. Am I correct that the halos work without needing to flash?
Thanks! I tend to be OCD so like everything as neat as possible. No flashing needed - everything fired up as soon as the connections were made.

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S
I installed my Bi-LEDs from Oracle and I agree with you that the provided red wire is entirely too short. I find the light units themselves to be excellent but the wiring for attaching to the fuse box and ground to be feeble. The red wire is way too fragile to just run unprotected. I extended the wire with 18g wire and encased it all in simple rubber tubing in an effort to beef it up. I am completely pleased with the product and the service, although the instructions seems lacking. Detailed printed instructions that can be easily referred to during install would be preferred. Maybe that's because I used to write technical manuals. I also want to give a shout-out to Danny Talbot at the company. Very helpful and professional. I fully recommend buying this product.

OP
OP
adamk

adamk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Just got the BC1 controllers! I will be installing them later this week and will post my install notes and pictures.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Nice job detailing your install. What dog is peeking through the box in your name column, cute pup!

OP
OP
adamk

adamk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Nice job detailing your install. What dog is peeking through the box in your name column, cute pup!
Thanks! I am working on the BC1 install notes and should be posting that soon. The little guy in my profile pic is our youngest dog, Parker.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20191010_205149

And here he is with his older brother, Cooper. Both Shih-tzus... always getting into trouble.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 20200704_195119

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Funny! Double trouble for sure!

NHMojito

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito!
Awesome write-up, thank you! I will be tackling this project in the next week or so (I’ve got the BC1 controller as well). Looking forward to your update.

OP
OP
adamk

adamk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I received the BC1 bluetooth controllers for the RGB+W Oracle headlights last week, and finally had time to figure out how to install these. After speaking with Renee at Oracle, she recommended ordering three BC1 controllers so that each headlight zone could be managed independently.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294681757

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294681810

There seems to be a lack of installation instructions on these, and the only ones that I could find were actually towards the tail end of the RGB+W headlight overview video. There are no installation videos on the BC1 controller page itself, so was a bit confusing at first. For anyone considering this product, although the BC1 controller has four outputs, they all output the same color chosen, therefore if you want simultaneous multi-colors, you will need more than just one controller.

Each Oracle headlight has three zone inputs – outer ring, inner ring and demon eye (which is practically pointless – can't see it). The headlights came with (3) long connectors and (3) short connectors, designed to be used with the various controllers that Oracle offers. The BC1 controllers also come with (4) short connectors. In order to make the connections, you will need to purchase some 22 AWG butt connectors to crimp the exposed wire ends together. For the price you pay for everything, Oracle should really include these for free.

Each zone gets a dedicated cable with red, green, blue and power (black or white, depending on cable). For clarity, black and white get attached together.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294681886

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294681976

I chose to locate the BC1 control boxes behind the passenger side headlight, in an effort to keep the area around the battery as clean as possible. To mount them there, I first used two zip ties to keep them together, then I ran a zip tie (at both ends) around the factory cable and through the controller zip tie.

With the controllers located behind the passenger headlight, there is ample length on the positive and negative feeds, to reach the applicable battery terminals. I ended up routing the positive (red) cables along the Jeep frame (best route I could find due to the size of the fuse), and the negative (black) cables under the air intake.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294682043

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294682088

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294682155

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294682226

With the controllers in place, I ran three short cables from the driver side headlight cavity, along the upper radiator, over to the passenger side headlight cavity. This is where I ended up making all the wire connections, so if I have any issues – I know where to look. It is a crazy amount of cables, however they will all fit behind the headlight. My recommendation is to use the shortest Oracle cables as possible, to get where you decide to locate the controller.

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294682304

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294682387
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595294682941

Now that I know how to install these – I could likely do the entire job in less than an hour, so really not hard stuff. While I do love look of these and they turn a lot of heads, I have a few gripes with the setup:
  1. The BC1 controllers have no memory, meaning every time you shut the vehicle off – all of the settings are erased.
  2. The overall app experience is lacking and I was disappointed that it had no feedback, in terms of what colors were showing on the headlight. You literally have to be outside the vehicle to see what colors are chosen.
  3. Each BC1 controller is a different bluetooth connection (maximum of 3 is supported from the app), which means that if you want to change the color of just one zone, you have to disconnect from the other two zones, then change the color.
  4. The BC1 controllers have some random generated name, with absolutely no meaning, which means you have to memorize what that BC1 controller is connected to. It would be a million times easier if you could re-name them, to the applicable zone.
  5. The app is COMPLETELY non-functional on a Samsung S10+… meaning I cant even get the app to respond. Even if I could – the app was obviously not designed for android, as the graphics are stretched and do not line up. I have to carry around my work phone (Apple) to control these, which is a complete pain in the ass.
ORACLE – please fix your Android app!!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle Oculus RGB+W Colorshift Headlights - Sport S Install 1595295268913

Last edited:

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Nice job on the install, bummer about the lack of support w/ that app and the Android issues, hopefully it'll get worked out.

ORACLElights

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.oraclelights.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL
Occupation
Automotive LED Manufacturing
Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to hear that you had a trouble with the installation. Looks like you beat us to the installation instructions! We just did an install with the 3x BC1s on Friday, that you can view below.

I have also submitted your feedback to R&D so we can see about any necessary changes to make your experience better. As always please provide any feedback so we can work on bettering our products and service.

:like:

OP
OP
adamk

adamk

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have also submitted your feedback to R&D so we can see about any necessary changes to make your experience better. As always please provide any feedback so we can work on bettering our products and service.

:like:
Great video - will definitely help future buyers! If you could update the app so it works on Android and make some small tweaks, it would truly be a first class experience!

SteveT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2d
I received the BC1 bluetooth controllers for the RGB+W Oracle headlights last week, and finally had time to figure out how to install these. After speaking with Renee at Oracle, she recommended ordering three BC1 controllers so that each headlight zone could be managed independently. You can also change the names of the controllers once you figure out which one controls what.

1595294681757.jpeg

1595294681810.jpeg

There seems to be a lack of installation instructions on these, and the only ones that I could find were actually towards the tail end of the RGB+W headlight overview video. There are no installation videos on the BC1 controller page itself, so was a bit confusing at first. For anyone considering this product, although the BC1 controller has four outputs, they all output the same color chosen, therefore if you want simultaneous multi-colors, you will need more than just one controller.

Each Oracle headlight has three zone inputs – outer ring, inner ring and demon eye (which is practically pointless – can't see it). The headlights came with (3) long connectors and (3) short connectors, designed to be used with the various controllers that Oracle offers. The BC1 controllers also come with (4) short connectors. In order to make the connections, you will need to purchase some 22 AWG butt connectors to crimp the exposed wire ends together. For the price you pay for everything, Oracle should really include these for free.

Each zone gets a dedicated cable with red, green, blue and power (black or white, depending on cable). For clarity, black and white get attached together.

1595294681886.jpeg

1595294681976.jpeg

I chose to locate the BC1 control boxes behind the passenger side headlight, in an effort to keep the area around the battery as clean as possible. To mount them there, I first used two zip ties to keep them together, then I ran a zip tie (at both ends) around the factory cable and through the controller zip tie.

With the controllers located behind the passenger headlight, there is ample length on the positive and negative feeds, to reach the applicable battery terminals. I ended up routing the positive (red) cables along the Jeep frame (best route I could find due to the size of the fuse), and the negative (black) cables under the air intake.

1595294682043.jpeg

1595294682088.jpeg

1595294682155.jpeg

1595294682226.jpeg

With the controllers in place, I ran three short cables from the driver side headlight cavity, along the upper radiator, over to the passenger side headlight cavity. This is where I ended up making all the wire connections, so if I have any issues – I know where to look. It is a crazy amount of cables, however they will all fit behind the headlight. My recommendation is to use the shortest Oracle cables as possible, to get where you decide to locate the controller.

1595294682304.jpeg

1595294682387.jpeg
1595294682941.jpeg

Now that I know how to install these – I could likely do the entire job in less than an hour, so really not hard stuff. While I do love look of these and they turn a lot of heads, I have a few gripes with the setup:
  1. The BC1 controllers have no memory, meaning every time you shut the vehicle off – all of the settings are erased.
  2. The overall app experience is lacking and I was disappointed that it had no feedback, in terms of what colors were showing on the headlight. You literally have to be outside the vehicle to see what colors are chosen.
  3. Each BC1 controller is a different bluetooth connection (maximum of 3 is supported from the app), which means that if you want to change the color of just one zone, you have to disconnect from the other two zones, then change the color.
  4. The BC1 controllers have some random generated name, with absolutely no meaning, which means you have to memorize what that BC1 controller is connected to. It would be a million times easier if you could re-name them, to the applicable zone.
  5. The app is COMPLETELY non-functional on a Samsung S10+… meaning I cant even get the app to respond. Even if I could – the app was obviously not designed for android, as the graphics are stretched and do not line up. I have to carry around my work phone (Apple) to control these, which is a complete pain in the ass.
ORACLE – please fix your Android app!!!!

1595295268913.png
I had the app it’s awful I found another app (I have an iPhone so not sure it’s compatible on android.) called happy lighting. It soooo much better than the oracle app and picks up the Bluetooth signal of my rock lights and fog lights.

SteveT

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL 2d
I have a general question about the install of these controllers. I have mine installed to the battery. I sometimes forget to turn them off and have to run out to turn em off. Is there a way to wire them to one of the aux switches so that when the ignition turns off the controllers turn off and the halos turn off as well. Is that possible?
Sponsored