Sponsored

Oracle led backup lights shut off my backup cam?

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon. 1976 K5 Blazer. 1995 S10 Blazer 4wd
Occupation
Forklift Operator
Hoping someone can help. Just installed the Oracle backup light kit in the bumper of my 2018 JL Rubicon. Love the lights, very bright and look great. Problem is now my backup camera wont work. When I put it in reverse the screen is black except for the top where it says check all surroundings. I wired it to the white wire with orange stripe on the factory 7 pin trailer plug if that matters. Any idea what might have happened?

20210214_145627.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Bocephus1963

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forklift Operator
Well, now the camera is working again. Didnt do anything to it, just started working on its own. Strange.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I think it’s a known software issue. I have the the same lights (and 2018 Rubi) installed and my display has gone blank too (prior to installing the lights).

JP_Oracle

Peak Sponsor (Level 2)
First Name
JP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hoping someone can help. Just installed the Oracle backup light kit in the bumper of my 2018 JL Rubicon. Love the lights, very bright and look great. Problem is now my backup camera wont work. When I put it in reverse the screen is black except for the top where it says check all surroundings. I wired it to the white wire with orange stripe on the factory 7 pin trailer plug if that matters. Any idea what might have happened?
Hey there,

Looks like this is a common issue for the early JL's. Here's another forum thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-suddenly-stopped-working.7452/

I think it's a coincidence this happened after you installed the reverse lights, although I do see how you'd think this would be the cause!

OP
OP
Bocephus1963

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forklift Operator
Hey there,

Looks like this is a common issue for the early JL's. Here's another forum thread: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/backup-camera-suddenly-stopped-working.7452/

I think it's a coincidence this happened after you installed the reverse lights, although I do see how you'd think this would be the cause!
Yeah, just

Hey there,

Yeah I think youre right, camera started working again by itself. Thought it was something I did, lol. Love the lights though.

Sponsored

YippieKiYayMrFalcon

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th Anniversary
Vehicle Showcase
It’s not just the early ones. It happened on my 2018, but it’s been worse on my 2021. Sometimes it’s just the grid lines missing, sometimes it’s the entire picture.

Always comes back after it sits for a bit. It will also come back if you disconnect the battery and wait 10minutes to reset the system.

OP
OP
Bocephus1963

Bocephus1963

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Forklift Operator
Hello,

Would you please show your connection to the trailer plug ?

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, just saw your post today. You probably already wired it but here is the pics. I unwrapped the wires on the back of the factory 7 pin trailer plug, the white wire with the orange stripe is the backup light wire. I used wire pliers to strip a bare spot on the wire, i used all weather male/female 2 wire plugs that i got on amazon, i added a length of wire to make the plugs longer and hooked the red plug wire from the male half of the plug to the white/orange stripe trailer wire and attached the black plug wire to the frame for ground. Wired the female half of the plug to the backup lights. This way if you needed to remove your bumper for any reason you can simply disconnect the male/female plug and you are good to go. Sorry it took so long for the reply but we were in Idaho for the holidays.
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle led backup lights shut off my backup cam? 20220107_164446
Jeep Wrangler JL Oracle led backup lights shut off my backup cam? 20220107_164632

nhingy

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 jku
I installed them on my wifes JL and it they worked for a couple seconds and then would go off and no reverse lights. She does not have the factory LED's. I ended up swapping the halogen reverse bulbs with LED's and now it has this weird band of white light that starts out from the jeep and comes in, repeating quickly.

I tried covering the factory taillights and it still was there with just the oracle lights, tried covering the oracle lights and same thing so I don't know why it is doing it. It did not do it before the oracle lights or led bulbs. The bulbs I put in are not IC chipped as the halogen and oracle were found to overload the system and shut down the lights, so the cheap non IC bulbs draw less and allow it all to work.

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem?
Sponsored