Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
Welcome✌🏻 Looking forward to watching your build.

-Steven

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sport S, 2021 Compass
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
As I wile away the days waiting for an update to my order status, I might as well regale you with the saga that was ordering the vehicle. If you are adamantly opposed to being regaled you should make a discreet exit now.

For the clinically depressed agoraphobic still reading... first, a little background. This will be the 7th Jeep brand vehicle we (no, not the "Royal we", silly, my wife and I) have purchased from this particular dealership: 2 used Liberties, 1 new Sahara 4-door, 1 new Wrangler 2-door Sport, 1 new Renegade, 1 new Compass and now the Wrangler Sport S currently on order. The first used Liberty we purchased was totaled in a crash during a trip to see family at Christmas. We (me, my wife and daughter) rolled three times and managed to walk away with only minor injuries. From then on we've been Jeep people.

For each of these purchases we've worked with the same salesman. His name is Bob (name changed to protect the innocent). From poking around a bit on this site I can't help but notice there isn't a whole lot of love for car salesman around here. I get that, I really do. I've met a few "so, what's it gonna take to get you in a car today" types. Bob, however, is not that guy. He has been great to work with. He is earnest and kind. Believe it or not, he sends us Christmas cards and birthday cards each year, usually with a $10 bill in it. He has never pushed a vehicle or even an option on us... ever. He's a salesman that's smart enough to know he's selling something that sells itself. This time around I was the one upselling options to him. We met Bob because he was in the used car department when we bought our first used Liberty but he made the process so easy that we stayed with him when we started buying new vehicles as well. But if you think it's been all sunshine and rainbows... I have a confession to make. The 2021 Compass my wife is currently driving we actually didn't buy from Bob. It was nothing against him. At that point, we had moved to a nearby town so we went to a closer Jeep dealer and made the deal. We haven't told Bob because, hand to god, it feels as though we've cheated on him. So, when it was time for a new vehicle we went back to Bob who greeted us with a smile, wholly unaware of our betrayal and shame.

The car we are trading in is a 2016 Jeep Renegade. I'll wait a few moment until you're done snickering and judging. Say what you want about the Renegade and I can say plenty, but it has been a fine little runabout and daily driver for the past six years. My biggest complaint is the anemic... sorry I was about to type "power plant" but I just couldn't make my fingers form the words... let's just say "motor". The other complaint was the windshield which seemed to be a magnet for rocks. The original windshield cracked within the first month. Safelite tried to stabilize the chip but it eventually spread to a long crack and had to be replaced. The replacement windshield now has both a long crack and a chip in different spots. Otherwise, I have to say the Renegade was comfortable to drive and served us well. Last summer we packed it up and did Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse, Devil's Tower, Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons. And other than me cooking the brakes on the descent into Jackson Hole because I didn't know how to drive in the mountains, it did really well. Thanks to the interwebs I quickly discovered the miracle that is engine braking. But I digress, the Renegade is out of warranty now and we're finally in a position to be able to afford something a little nicer.

Now, if you've read this far you know this will not be our first Wrangler. First, you have to know that Wranglers have always been my wife's favorite vehicle long before we could ever afford one. She absolutely loved the 4-door Sahara we had. We traded it in because we needed a second vehicle. So, we worked a deal with Bob to trade it in for the Renegade which I'm driving now, and the Sport which my wife drove. She liked the Sport but, after a while, it proved to be too uncomfortable for her to drive every day, so she traded it in on a Compass (not the cheating, whoring Compass she's driving now, the other one we got from Bob). As for me, I too have always liked the Wranglers, so now that it's time to trade in the Renegade, it made sense for me to order a Wrangler. I'll drive it most days, and trade vehicles with my wife when she wants to feel nostalgic.

Now, if you're still reading you really must take up a hobby... macrame perhaps, or chainsaw juggling. Anywho. The time and the finances were right, so it was time to start building a new Wrangler. When I started building one on Jeep.com, the 2022 models were the only ones available. I gravitated toward the Sport S because it had the option packages I wanted with a base price we could afford. And, I know that we won't need the heavy duty off-road capabilities of some of the more pricey models despite how cool they look. Looking at the 2022s I liked the Hydro Blue Pearl Coat very much but I was sad to see that Mojito wasn't a thing anymore. Then, as it got closer to talking with Bob, the 2023s popped up. Suddenly, there was Reign. You have to understand that way... way back when we went to purchase the Sahara, my wife really wanted it in the purple color they had at the time. I can't remember what that shade was called. But, much to her dismay, purple wasn't available for the Sahara she wanted and I think she has been secretly pining for it ever since. So, Reign isn't just a color for us, my friends, it is destiny fulfilled. Good things come to those who wait... because they're upside down on their current vehicle and too broke to afford a new Jeep. But our meeting with Bob went well. We arrived at terms we could live with and while I got the options I wanted we got the color we wanted.

Okay. So that killed about 23 minutes. Shit. Now, just 3+ more months to go...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
In our next exciting episode, we discuss options!

The Wranglers we have had in the past were my wife's vehicles and they were spec'd the way she wanted. That meant hard tops. It also meant a dearth of any electronic doo-dads. My wife couldn't care less about tech. For her, as long as she can stream her podcasts on the radio in the car to and from work, she's a happy camper. Sidebar... the podcasts she listens to are exclusively about murder. So, if I go missing or turn up dead, she totally did it but will probably get away with it. Anywho, this time around it's my turn so I got to build a Wrangler the way I wanted. After the color, which we've already covered, the next big thing for me was a soft top. I am soooo looking forward to driving around with that top down, or bikini style with the doors and side panels off. But while I'm a fan of the minimalist approach on the outside, inside I wanted it loaded up. So, I went for the 8.4" Premium Audio Group because, with the top down and the wind in what was once my hair, I still want to hear my 80s on 8 and Classic Vinyl. I went for the Cold Weather Group because we live in the Midwest and sometimes a heated steering wheel is a really nice thing to have. And, having opted for the soft top, I expect things to be a bit colder inside during those long winter months. The Cold Weather Group automatically triggered the Convenience Group, which was fine since I like the remote start option sometimes. I opted for the Safety Group primarily for the blind spot monitor. It's one of those things that once you have it (it's standard in my wife's Compass... yes, the whoring, cheating Compass) going back to double-checking blindspots seems somehow barbaric. The Technology Group gave me the passive entry function I currently have on my Renegade and really like. It also gave me temperature control. I don't know about you, how could I? But I like to keep any interior space I'm in cold enough to hang meat (not a euphemism). Last, but not least, I selected the Trailer-Tow Group. I don't plan on doing any towing, but I do plan on putting on my 1-UP bicycle rack so I can ride some nearby rail-trails.

This meant that the only available Groups I didn't opt for on the Sport S were the Advance Technology group, the LED Headlight Group and the Smoker's Group. Adaptive cruise and auto braking are just a little too prescriptive for my taste. My wife's Compass (you know the one) automatically adjusts steering if it thinks you're deviating from your lane. That's a bridge too far. If we finally get fully automated driving in my lifetime I'll give it a try, but not these half-measures. As for the headlights, if I think the halogens aren't doing the job, I think I can upgrade to LED bulbs without too much fuss. And with the Smoker's Group, I've been smoke free for eight years with no plans to go back.

As for engine and transmission, I will be the first to admit that I am not a mechanic. I can tear a bicycle down to the frameset and build it back up, but that's pretty much the extent of my mechanical knowledge. I know next to nothing about engines. Yeah, yeah... I know... I know... that makes me somehow less of a man. It's just a cross I'll have to bear. And hey, somebody has to put those Jeep mechanic's kids through college. If not me, then who? So, when it came to choosing engine options I consulted the interwebs. My gut reaction was to go with the 6 cylinder because, well, 6 is greater than 4, right? But I liked the reviews I read about the 4 cylinder turbo and I've never owned a turbo. I have, however, watched all the Fast and the Furious movies so I imagine it's a lot like that. In all seriousness I am very much looking forward to 270 horsepower as opposed to the 180 horsepower in the Renegade. That's like... half an engine more... I think.

The only other major option I went for was the Granite Crystal wheels. And here is the only thing that left me a little disappointed about the buying process for the Sport S. I'm not a fan of the stock silver wheels. What I would really like would be the black rims that are standard on the Willys. The Granite Crystal was a bit of a compromise, but I still think they look good.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
On today's exciting episode... upgrades... or the lack thereof.

Truth be told, I have no plans for any extensive changes to the Jeep. I know... I know... Just Empty Every Pocket... yada, yada, yada. But I know myself fairly well, well enough to know that rock crawling or fording or mudding are not for me. Hell, I'm already spending enough money for this Jeep stock. The thought of spending thousands more for upgrades only to potentially destroy it because I misjudged a trail is enough to make me break out in a cold sweat. So, you won't see the Purple People Eater lifted sporting 37s. No angry grills or winches. The only major change at this point would be possible getting some black rims, maybe takeoffs from a Willys. But even that will wait until it's time for new tires at some point down the road.

So, I'll be turning my attention to some minor upgrades. I'll likely pick up some floor mats and look into some storage options for the inside. Possibly LED bulbs as I mentioned before. I've been checking out a few sites. However, at this point only AllMoparParts.com has the option of shopping for 2023 Wrangler goodies. Other sites only list 2022 bits. I realize there isn't much that is different between the two model years, but with my luck I'd buy a bunch of items for a 22 only to discover they don't quite fit my 23. So, I'll likely wait until after the Jeep actually comes in, hopefully in October.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
As of this morning, I now have a VIN... Nice to see some progress.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
^^^^ This x2 Fun Read! and Congrats on the new order and vin....Welcome to the forum and looking forward to more of your animated writing:LOL:

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
In today's exciting episode... Opus' musings on the "waiting game".

As the proud owner of a brand new... VIN, my daily routine has drastically changed. I used to wake up each day and check the pizza tracker, then text JeepChat looking for a VIN. Once a week I'd email the dealership looking for the same. Now that I have a VIN I wake up each day, check the pizza tracker, text JeepChat and cryptostickers looking for a Scheduled date or a build sheet. See??? It's entirely different. :)

Yes, I am impatient... and almost certainly suffering from adult-onset OCD. But my impatience does have some basis in fact. As anyone who hangs out on the Ordering thread knows well, there isn't any discernible pattern for how/why Jeep chooses to build one rig over the next. It doesn't appear to be about price, or model, or engine, or number of doors, or colors, or add-ons. Is it a lottery system? Are logarithms involved? Tarot cards? And, of course, once your Jeep does manage to somehow get built, then the vagaries of shipping come into play. So, asking how long will it take to get my Jeep is akin to asking "how long is a piece of string?" or "what is the sound of one hand clapping?" or "why do we park on driveways, and drive on parkways?"

This lack of a pattern creates a vacuum of information. Nature abhors a vacuum (except a Roomba, of course, Nature thinks they're pretty cool... as long as you don't have a dog that poops in the house). So, I'm stuck acting out the actual definition of "insanity"... I'm doing the same thing over and over and expecting, hell hoping for, a different result. But I will continue re-enacting my insanity ritual until that glorious day when the pizza tracker finally shows a Scheduled date. Then, of course, we'll reset the whole process and begin pining away for In Production...

For those of you who are able to find zen in this waiting process, chapeau. I truly admire that. I also admire those of you who have been waiting far... far longer than I have to get out of D status. My job is about to become crazy hectic at the end of August. I actually find myself looking forward to it for the distraction it will provide. I'm hoping it will make the time go by quicker.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
If the rumors are to be believed, and why wouldn't they be, they're rumors after all... as of 2:30 this morning, the Jeep factory in Toledo officially began cranking out 2023 Wranglers. When I woke up this morning, folks who ordered 2023s began to see the pizza tracker update them with Scheduled build dates and, in some cases toward the end of the day received texts and emails from Jeep with actual In Production dates. All this meant, of course, that yours truly spent the day entering and reentering my last name: Jingleheimerschmidt if you must know, and VON: 12345678 (I know, what are the odds?) on the pizza tracker site hoping... expecting to see my order update to Scheduled at any moment and maybe see my VIN there and receive a build date. But, alas, no. Name/VON/<enter>... Name/VON/<enter>... Name/VON/<enter>... lather, rinse, repeat. [remember that definition of insanity :) ] Compounding things, of course, was the veritable cavalcade of other folks who reported updates to their status. Some ordered before I did. Some ordered after. In more than one instance reported today, someone ordered approximately one week ago and has already been scheduled for a build. I understand the logical rationale. Orders are assumed to be prioritized by the materials necessary to complete the order. This suggests that the more fully loaded an order is, the greater the likelihood that it will be delayed in production. My order was fairly well loaded for a Sport S. The only options I didn't get were the Advanced Safety, LED headlights, and Smokers Group which doesn't bode well for me. I get the logic. Logic, however, has no bearing on how I feel. I also know that at the end of the day this is the epitome of a "first-world problem". Oh, "boo-hoo" you didn't get your brand new Jeep today. Poor you. Nope, I get all that. Nevertheless, I end my day a little jealous and a little disheartened.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Another day, another big 'ol goose egg regarding progress on the build. Nada, zip, zero, zilch, zoinks (okay, that last one is more Shaggy from Scooby-Doo, but why are there so many "z" words that stand for nothing)??? Anywho I am finding some solace in the fact that folks are not just seeing movement on the pizza tracker, but are now getting texts and emails from Jeep updating their progress. Build sheets are turning up in Cryptostickers as well. I'm starting to think my order may well be a kind of perfect storm for being delayed. A.) I chose a 2-door which are a relatively small minority of new Jeeps ordered. 2.) I also chose a number of options that will require more parts to be assembled before the build can begin and while chip shortages and supply train issues have improved, they are nowhere near pre-pandemic levels. Curse you "Convenience Group" I already had a perfectly good garage door opener... And III.) I chose a limited edition color. Any one of these choices might not slow things down that much. I know, for example, that some Reign builds have been Scheduled. But all of those choices together might mean I'm in for longer wait.

In the meantime, anticipation has created some odd side effects. At work today we had some severe thunderstorms roll in. I was able to leave work just in time and managed to drive out of the storm before it hit. The main thought in my head as I was driving home and watching the sky was that if the egg-sized hail that was falling a few miles behind me had hit my Renegade... the trade-in value would have taken a huge hit. The windshield is already cracked. One good hailstone and I'd be stuck replacing the glass. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
My first interior mod is ready for installation.

Jeep Wrangler JL Opus' Purple People Eater Build Thread 51Y04kei1nL._AC_SL1000_

It may not be much, but a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step... :)

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
A little more about information vacuums...

A while back I created a poll asking folks how often they checked on status updates for their builds. It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but I find that the longer the wait is, the further down the list I get on that poll. Part of that stems from my own impatience, but also my ignorance about how the pizza tracker works. Is it updated daily? Weekly? Hourly? Is it continuous? A few folks have reported no update and then, suddenly a half hour or an hour later their status has changed. So, if you're listening Stellantis (and I'm just paranoid enough to think you are) simply putting a little footnote on the tracker that says "this site is updated X" (where "X" is the frequency), would be helpful for managing our expectations.

OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
The second step...

So the QuadLock phone holder was my first "mod". Today, I ordered some interior storage bins as well as a stubby antenna. Let the games begin...

My Amazon wish list continues to grow with everything from a $12 set of tools to pull nylon rivets (in case I need to pull the grill to swap in LED bulbs) all the way up to a $500+ dollar set of Rugged Ridge tubular doors. Why? Because Jeff Bezos squandered his fortune putting William Shatner in orbit and needs my money, duh.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Opus

Opus

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jlwranglerforums.com
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
An existential funk...

It's been 44 days now since I placed my Jeep order. And I know most of that time doesn't really "count" because the '23 model year only started production about two weeks ago. But seeing so many other people go from "D", where I am still with my VIN and nothing else, to "D1", all the way to Shipped in some cases (with some having ordered just this month) has gone beyond being frustrating. And, again, all this is exacerbated by the lack of any logical rationale for when a particular Jeep gets built. I've seen 2-doors advance so it's not that. I've seen Reigns advance. I've seen soft tops advance. I've seen Jeeps loaded with options advance so that's not the hold-up either. I'm now rocking 5 different tracking sites and all of them tell me nothing, just in unique ways.

I know I'm not alone. I know that others have waited longer than I have to see movement on their orders; some much, much longer. But, while I get that intellectually, it does nothing for the existential funk of "Order Confirmed" where all I have at this moment is what I'm hoping is an inaccurately colored glamor shot of a Jeep. What I have is the promise of something... the potential of it. But as potential there is still technically the possibility that it may never be. I know that's silly. The odds of an order being rejected and canceled are very slim but it can happen. Again... potential.

I tell myself everything will be fine once I get to D1 with an actual build date. Then I'll be able to relax a bit because then it really should just be a matter of time... "when" as opposed to "if". I tell myself that when I put in the order, my dealer told me it would be 3 or 4 months and I'm only a month and a half into that so far. That might have been easier to take if I didn't see the progress of others. Sometimes ignorance is bliss and a little knowledge, in this case, is a dangerous thing...

In another thread someone suggested Jeep install a web cam at their Toledo assembly plant. I think that's an excellent idea. Imagine being able to watch a live stream of Jeeps moving down the assembly line. I think it would be very comforting and would help to fill the void of waiting with no information with something tangible.
Sponsored