Sponsored

Options [must have now vs can add later]

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I've read a number of posts, but didn't see a consolidated list
Obviously, there are benefits to buying a jeep of the lot and value in keeping your initial purchase price low

To accomplish this, what are the options you need to have from the factory vs having the ability to add later:
  • Rims [can be added later]
  • Side Steps [can be added later]
  • Tops [can be added later (hard/ soft top), Factory (sky one touch)]
  • Leather [can be added later, aftermarket i.e. katzkin - similar price to factory, more options]
  • 8" Uconnect [can be added later, I believe]
  • Premium Sound [unknown]
  • Proximity Keyless Entry [factory as of now - too bad]
  • Safety Group [factory]
  • Advanced Safety [factory]
  • LED Group [can be added later]
  • Cold Weather [factory, though aftermarket heated seats can be added]
  • Engine [factory]
  • Transmission [factory]
  • Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle [factory, I assume]
  • 2.72:1 Selec-Trac [No idea what this is... needs above (can it be added if you have rear axle?)]
  • Tow package [can be added later]
Sponsored

Last edited:

Spdu4ia

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2dr Rubi
there have been examples of people adding the proximity locks after on their own... though not the easiest project it is doable.

Coastie6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 2-Door
I don't think you necessarily save anything buying off a lot. I think the greatest savings is achieved by using a volume dealers internet/fleet sales person and ordering a Jeep equipped exactly how you want it. Many of these deals are made well below invoice. That being said, I'm not sure what the status of ordering is right now with all that's going on. Most vehicles on lots are loaded JLU or JLURs. While popular, certainly not what everyone is looking for, not us at least. We ordered and got what we wanted at a great price. I'd add factory tow to your list, can be added later but I think it's well worth it from the factory even if you don't tow for the other upgrades most notably the auxiliary switches.

OP
OP
Moreace

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there have been examples of people adding the proximity locks after on their own... though not the easiest project it is doable.
Yea, I've been following that thread, now on page 17. Seems only 2 or so have had success and others have not. Time will tell if it get easier or there is a 100% confirmed process (or friendly dealer). This group seems like it will get there.

OP
OP
Moreace

Moreace

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't think you necessarily save anything buying off a lot. I think the greatest savings is achieved by using a volume dealers internet/fleet sales person and ordering a Jeep equipped exactly how you want it. Many of these deals are made well below invoice. That being said, I'm not sure what the status of ordering is right now with all that's going on. Most vehicles on lots are loaded JLU or JLURs. While popular, certainly not what everyone is looking for, not us at least. We ordered and got what we wanted at a great price. I'd add factory tow to your list, can be added later but I think it's well worth it from the factory even if you don't tow for the other upgrades most notably the auxiliary switches.
added, thanks

Sponsored

SecondTJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
  • 2.72:1 Selec-Trac [No idea what this is... needs above (can it be added if you have rear axle?)]
Anti-Spin Differential can be added later. In fact, an aftermarket torsen-type is far more effective and durable than the factory clutch-type.

I don’t believe anyone has attempted to swap the Command-Trac’s NV241 for the Selec-Trac’s MP3022 yet. I would consider that factory only.

Notorious

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 TJ Sahara
I've read a number of posts, but didn't see a consolidated list...
To accomplish this, what are the options you need to have from the factory vs having the ability to add later...
Really good thread! Truth is if you take the most basic Wrangler Sport available, it’s possible to dump a ton of money into it and make it far more capable than the top of the line Rubicon that’s offered thru the factory. I say that to say that’s the wonderful thing about the Wrangler. Every single modification a buyer does outside of the factory or FCA, reflects their own personalization. Not many vehicles on the market that can offer this level of individualization.

Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
I get wanting to save a little cash to get into a JL sooner. Honestly, I'd save up and buy what options you want up front. That way you have a full warranty. There are plenty of other add-ons and mods to personalize your JL later.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Headliner can be added later. There are several options all cheaper than the factory option.
Some options like the head liner make sense. Adding them will be cheaper and will not void any warranty.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The tow and it's options can be added later. The option does come with an oversized alternator, aux switches, and all the wiring which is a pain to add in
Lot cheaper and easier to buy the tow package up front. Not a bad idea just for the alternator and battery for ESS models. Plus it's all covered under warranty.

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
I've read a number of posts, but didn't see a consolidated list
Obviously, there are benefits to buying a jeep of the lot and value in keeping your initial purchase price low

To accomplish this, what are the options you need to have from the factory vs having the ability to add later:
  • Rims [can be added later]
  • Side Steps [can be added later]
  • Tops [can be added later (hard/ soft top), Factory (sky one touch)]
  • Leather [can be added later, aftermarket i.e. katzkin - similar price to factory, more options]
  • 8" Uconnect [can be added later, I believe]
  • Premium Sound [unknown]
  • Proximity Keyless Entry [factory as of now - too bad]
  • Safety Group [factory]
  • Advanced Safety [factory]
  • LED Group [can be added later]
  • Cold Weather [factory, though aftermarket heated seats can be added]
  • Engine [factory]
  • Transmission [factory]
  • Tow package [can be added later]
Here's my calculation on why to get things from factory rather than what can be upgraded later.
I would get the following items from your list factory, with reasons for all
8.4" Uconnect (Yes, it can be added later, but for the price, not worth the hassle of doing yourself)
Proximity Keyless Entry (As of yet, no one has a consistent method of adding this the way the factory offers it)
LED Group (For the price, I can't replace headlights/taillights/side markers for anything near that low with high quality LED option)
Cold Weather (Seats can be added easily, but steering wheel option is not as easy to add later)
Tow Package (Aux buttons, hitch, upgraded battery, upgraded alternator add up to far more than the MSRP factory option)
Engine (Obvious reasons)
Transmission (Obvious reasons)

On a side note
Safety Groups - I do believe too much tech can be in a vehicle, and putting all that safety stuff in my Jeep that will be off roading is a waste of money, not to mention the replacement bumpers I want may not have spots for the sensors and I don't want to limit my aftermarket options like that.

The remaining items to me have better or cheaper options aftermarket. Something not on your list, but that I would include as aftermarket is bumpers.

I know that some of these are preferences, but I've spent about 2 years planning my purchase, and as I get days away all dealerships are basically closed and factories are shut down so I can't order my "perfect combination" of options. So I've been trying to narrow down the list to things that are the most simple to add/replace or cheaper to buy aftermarket.

@CBEUnion

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLU, 18 JL, 21 JL
The tow and it's options can be added later. The option does come with an oversized alternator, aux switches, and all the wiring which is a pain to add in
Lot cheaper and easier to buy the tow package up front. Not a bad idea just for the alternator and battery for ESS models. Plus it's all covered under warranty.
Tow package is the one factory option I wish I had. You can't add it aftermarket for the same price, The package gives you that awesome prewired aux switch bank ($375 retail) that makes adding things like lights SO easy, the oversize battery and alternator may not be useful to some, but if you're boondocking, it's something you want. The hitch itself is just meh. There are videos and threads on strengthening that factory hitch.
Sponsored