First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
So RCV is the only company to make a solid FAD-Delete shaft?
If my research is correct, Yukon’s FAD delete kit includes a 1 piece shaft deleting the inner shaft similar to RCV. This is the route I’m going.
Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
If my research is correct, Yukon’s FAD delete kit includes a 1 piece shaft deleting the inner shaft similar to RCV. This is the route I’m going.
That's what I found out too. While I debated the Yukon vs. Advantek shafts, I like that the Dana's use larger 1410 U-Joints with full circle clips. In my experience, I have seen more u-joint and outer stub failures than inner shaft failures. This is why I went with the Advantek's and am comfortable with the strength of the stock inner shaft.

Xtremetj

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F350 Platinum, Ignot Silver, 2019 Rubicon Unlimited, Billet Silver
Occupation
Oil & Gas Environmental Rep
That's what I found out too. While I debated the Yukon vs. Advantek shafts, I like that the Dana's use larger 1410 U-Joints with full circle clips. In my experience, I have seen more u-joint and outer stub failures than inner shaft failures. This is why I went with the Advantek's and am comfortable with the strength of the stock inner shaft.
That’s a great point. I hadn’t thought about that... not you got me rethinking my idea...

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
That’s a great point. I hadn’t thought about that... not you got me rethinking my idea...
HAHA! It never ends!!

Ultimately I want to go with the RCV front shafts. Due to them not being in stock and me needing/wanting new shafts now, I decided on the Advantek w/FAD delete.

I will probably go to RCV front shafts in 6 months or so and then move the Advanteks to my other JLUR.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
This is why I went with the Advantek's and am comfortable with the strength of the stock inner shaft.
You can't use the stock inners with 1410 outers unless you are only talking about the FAD side inner-inner.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
You can't use the stock inners with 1410 outers unless you are only talking about the FAD side inner-inner.
Yeah I know. I am already running the Advantek's with the FAD delete. When I was talking about the "inner shaft", I was referring to the inner-inner (from diff to FAD).

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Are there any new options for front shafts? I'm guessing not. I purchased Dana chromoly shafts for the rear and would like to do something up front.

If I want to keep the FAD, are my only options RCV or the Dana "upgraded" shafts? I don't know if I actually need RCVs, so might not be my best use of funds. But i'm not sure how much an upgrade the dana shaft is for $750 since it doesn't replace the inner-inner shaft.

The only option i've seen from Yukon is a fad delete, is that right? I would like to keep the fad for now or until I have an issue.

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
Are there any new options for front shafts? I'm guessing not. I purchased Dana chromoly shafts for the rear and would like to do something up front.

If I want to keep the FAD, are my only options RCV or the Dana "upgraded" shafts? I don't know if I actually need RCVs, so might not be my best use of funds. But i'm not sure how much an upgrade the dana shaft is for $750 since it doesn't replace the inner-inner shaft.

The only option i've seen from Yukon is a fad delete, is that right? I would like to keep the fad for now or until I have an issue.
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I broke a stock shaft and wanted to upgrade. Dana Chromoly for the rear was an easy call but i struggled with the front as i wanted to keep the FAD.

I finally went with the RCV's as they were the only ones that i could find with that replaced the inner shaft as well. How big of a deal is that i don't know.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I was in the same boat as you a few months ago. I broke a stock shaft and wanted to upgrade. Dana Chromoly for the rear was an easy call but i struggled with the front as i wanted to keep the FAD.

I finally went with the RCV's as they were the only ones that i could find with that replaced the inner shaft as well. How big of a deal is that i don't know.
Whats your thought on the RCVs after install? Does it effect daily driving at all? Any issues? Maintenance seems easy. Its kind of the one and done approach, so its tempting. But the 1400$ is a jagged pill.

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
Whats your thought on the RCVs after install? Does it effect daily driving at all? Any issues? Maintenance seems easy. Its kind of the one and done approach, so its tempting. But the 1400$ is a jagged pill.

PM Sent

Sponsored

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
I will update soon. Still in the middle of a few things concerning the axles.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
I've had RCV shafts for about 10 months. Some might make the reference that they're like race car parts and therefor require race level maintenance. After about every 4k miles or so, I hear a clicking from them. That tells me they need grease. Since my wheels have center caps, I have to pull the front wheels to grease the joints (they're greased through the stub end of the axle). So why do they need to be greased so often? The grease leaks out from the orange boots (yes, they're on all the way). It makes a mess over everything in that area, which I also clean off ever couple thousand miles.

These RCV axles alone make me regret not getting something that requires a bit less maintenance like some Dana 60 axles. But...I'm already under the Jeep a lot greasing the Johnny Joints on all the control arms.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
So I received the 10044459 kit yesterday and this is what I received.

20200310_155243.jpg

So it appears to be a half-baked upgrade, that is, the kit does not include the "inner-inner-shaft" as Dana tech support called it, and told me on the phone. Sure, you get Nickel Chromoly shafts and upgraded U-joints, but then you're left with the intermediate shaft (FAD-to-Diff) as the weak link at that point, IMHJO.

So if you're looking for upgraded front axle shafts, and want to keep the FAD, I guess you're left with RCV or one of the other manufacturers as a complete solution.
Thanks for sharing...Did the Dana tech say why their chromoly kit doesnt upgrade the FAD-Diff shaft? That seems like a major oversight.
Sponsored