Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Instagram @sentineljeep
Vehicle Showcase
Counting out RCV axle shafts what are the other options for fad delete/chromoly?
Sponsored

relayer4u

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave
So far it looks like Yukon & Dana are offering fad delete axle kits. Last I looked there were kits available for JL Rubicon & Sahara / Sport front ends.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
So far it looks like Yukon & Dana are offering fad delete axle kits. Last I looked there were kits available for JL Rubicon & Sahara / Sport front ends.
To add to this, Yukon is only doing 1350 stuff at the moment. Which is good and fine if you want to keep your stock stubs.

Dana is doing 1410s if you want to replace everything.

Given it's usually the joints that fail, I'd go with the latter.

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Why count out RCV?
A lot of people don't like them because of the cost, the noise, and the fact that the joint is a big grease ball. They are the strongest front shafts though for sure.

I just ordered the Dana Advantek front shafts. Chromoly with 1350 u-joints. A little less than $700 shipped.

Dana Spicer 10044459 - Keeps the FAD

Dana Spicer 10044474 - Lose the FAD
Good deal. The 1410 version doesn't come in an assembled kit, you need 10044478 (stubs), 10044466 and 10044464 (inners), and 5-1410X joints. Joints come with C clips but you can use full circle clips on these shafts. Can order from Orielly auto parts or any other Dana/spicer retailer. No option to keep the FAD with these.

Pbjeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ Tj jk six in all
A lot of people don't like them because of the cost, the noise, and the fact that the joint is a big grease ball. They are the strongest front shafts though for sure.

Good deal. The 1410 version doesn't come in an assembled kit, you need 10044478 (stubs), 10044466 and 10044464 (inners), and 5-1410X joints. Joints come with C clips but you can use full circle clips on these shafts. Can order from Orielly auto parts or any other Dana/spicer retailer. No option to keep the FAD with these.
Are those a one piece design without needing their fad delete kit that is sold separately.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
The RCV's use a CV joint. These are used in tons of vehicles and heavy equipment and are very tough. What you point out is correct - they need to be well greased which means a boot to keep dirt out. But that boot should not be a big issue to maintain.

I wasn't aware of noise? Also CV's should drive better over a U joint as much smoother with steering input.

Reactions: J0E

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Are those a one piece design without needing their fad delete kit that is sold separately.
Yes they are one piece.

The RCV's use a CV joint. These are used in tons of vehicles and heavy equipment and are very tough. What you point out is correct - they need to be well greased which means a boot to keep dirt out. But that boot should not be a big issue to maintain.

I wasn't aware of noise? Also CV's should drive better over a U joint as much smoother with steering input.
Yes CV joints are smoother but I’m not sure that’s something you will notice with part time 4wd in the dirt. For full time awd and fwd on a road car they are needed. Then as far as the noise just google rcv clicking and you should get plenty of info.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
Yes CV joints are smoother but I’m not sure that’s something you will notice with part time 4wd in the dirt. For full time awd and fwd on a road car they are needed. Then as far as the noise just google rcv clicking and you should get plenty of info.
Thanks, but in 4L I do feel the u joints kicking the steering when getting close to the extremes. I'll google the clicking as never heard about that, and some of the guys in our group have RCV's and never heard them - but also not listening for it.

Reactions: J0E

Sponsored

Steveo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Wrangler JLUR, '23 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired Code Monkey
So I received the 10044459 kit yesterday and this is what I received.

20200310_155243.jpg

So it appears to be a half-baked upgrade, that is, the kit does not include the "inner-inner-shaft" as Dana tech support called it, and told me on the phone. Sure, you get Nickel Chromoly shafts and upgraded U-joints, but then you're left with the intermediate shaft (FAD-to-Diff) as the weak link at that point, IMHJO.

So if you're looking for upgraded front axle shafts, and want to keep the FAD, I guess you're left with RCV or one of the other manufacturers as a complete solution.

Pbjeep

First Name
Preston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
YJ Tj jk six in all
Exactly what I thought. That sucks and don’t believe everything you read on the internet.

Sprint7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 LJ 2018 JL
So RCV is the only company to make a solid FAD-Delete shaft?

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
My ultimate 44 came with the dana chromoly 1410 u joint shafts. They have full circle clips for u joints
Sponsored