Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I made a rack for my daughter so she can load and unload by herself. The rack slips into the hitch and is removable. (yea, I know it's a JK but the principle is the same for a JL)

The rack rotates down so she can strap the kayak in and rotate the whole thing up on top. No ladders or permanent racks needed. Now granted it's a cheap plastic 10' kayak, but it's fine for the short trips she'll do around here. Have to work on a better strap setup for the front though, there's not much to grab on.

RyjV82LdI73g8LXxuw5rL0oop7VBGAwh9GJ7i6wzKl9WkikY7wN8jYWkvvLwIQA-LSBOR8szeHs1h4TzSRD=w830-h623-no.jpg

HJlT1MzOq7VFx26AYV1RvdnepgQhNZG70ucdWf7CGjbJi56tHUs6T2WAVRju3qIi-iuPV8yKN2DSoipsx-s=w830-h623-no.jpg
Sponsored

kayakingt

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Those that use foam blocks I noticed that the top is down. Do any of you carry your boards/kayaks and use the foam when the top is up? Also what type of foam blocks did you use?

ekone

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU, bone Stock sport
I made a rack for my daughter so she can load and unload by herself. The rack slips into the hitch and is removable. (yea, I know it's a JK but the principle is the same for a JL)

The rack rotates down so she can strap the kayak in and rotate the whole thing up on top. No ladders or permanent racks needed. Now granted it's a cheap plastic 10' kayak, but it's fine for the short trips she'll do around here. Have to work on a better strap setup for the front though, there's not much to grab on.

RyjV82LdI73g8LXxuw5rL0oop7VBGAwh9GJ7i6wzKl9WkikY7wN8jYWkvvLwIQA-LSBOR8szeHs1h4TzSRD=w830-h623-no.jpg

HJlT1MzOq7VFx26AYV1RvdnepgQhNZG70ucdWf7CGjbJi56tHUs6T2WAVRju3qIi-iuPV8yKN2DSoipsx-s=w830-h623-no.jpg

That's a pretty slick setup! Nice work.

Sponsored

Donncada

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Jeep JLURD, '94 Jeep YJ, '89 Jeep XJ (RIP)
Clubs

For those with the hitch mount...
Is there a quick disconnect so you can open the tailgate without removing the Kayak?
I need access to the beer :beer:; I mean lunch cooler. :angel:

JD

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I just converted a 5x8 utility trailer into a 4 kayak holder.. bolted on a set of pickup roof racks from amazon I got for $89.00!! perfect for my 4 hour trip and was able to throw all my gear and poles on it

36045D33-89D3-4647-860D-F31ACE302719.jpeg

22E1F00E-9559-443D-BF9A-D59E1124436F.jpeg

Scarr2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR
Did similar as @Bricazo. Took a small utility trailer and used 3-4" PVC pipe to allow the Kayaks to slide on using the hull as balance. They hold great and a couple ratchet straps and your good to go. Mine are fairly large Vibe kayaks 11' and 13' that would be hard to put on the roof, etc.

IMG_1973.JPG

View attachment 198621

View attachment 198622

IMG_1925a.jpg

yak.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0
  • 0 bytes Views: 0

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
Did similar as @Bricazo. Took a small utility trailer and used 3-4" PVC pipe to allow the Kayaks to slide on using the hull as balance. They hold great and a couple ratchet straps and your good to go. Mine are fairly large Vibe kayaks 11' and 13' that would be hard to put on the roof, etc.

IMG_1973.JPG

View attachment 198621

View attachment 198622

IMG_1925a.jpg

yak.jpg
Nicely done! I was contemplating making the PVC channels as well but I use the trailer for other things so I needed and easy way to use it for both. My lure 11.5 weights over 100 lbs. with the peddle drive so no way I trust that on a roof.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
We travel with two Native propels and a Jackson so we need a threesome trailer. Also use a Yakima box to store PFD's, paddles, etc. Will look at Bricazo's design and make it work.

Sponsored

OP
OP
maguro

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
It's been almost a year and a half since I started this thread but I'm happy to report that I finally strapped my canoe onto my JLUR.

I ended up getting a set of Rhino Vortex bars and paired them with a Thule Portage canoe mount.

The instructions for the Vortex indicated that I should place the front bar onto the Freedom panels - although I'm not sure how safe that is.

I also found it a little difficult to find a place to mount my front tie down but that's just another excuse for me to upgrade my bumper in the future.

jl-swiftcanoe.jpg

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
We dont use a rack at all on my GFs JK and it works perfect. Foam blocks (made for this purpose) directly on the hardtop and tied off.

14242214_10100454168105696_5261457174490618197_o.jpg
Super nice... clean and simple.. love it.. I will probably follow your model, except I have a soft top.. need something up there...

rack.jpg

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
Hitchmount rack https://www.hitchmount-rack.com/collections/all
posted earlier in this thread, here are some pics. They have the extender for the JL to account for backup camera.
IMG_1495_1024x1024.jpg

MissionRACK-Large_1024x1024.jpg
Well I don't think that is going to take you up the Rubicon.. but I am sure it works for non wheeling locations..

The lakes I am targeting I can not have anything hanging off the hitch..

With that said.. sweet set up for easy trails - locations..

Nicely done!

TCogs1

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cj6
I used to kayak a lot. Trying to kayak more again. I have had many different systems on 4 vehicles so far. Failed to rack my wife’s van and have yet to rack the Jeep.

Camper shell mounted racks were my 2 favorite. I used rail riders and later landing pads by Yakama. Super in every way. The shell was accusticly isolated from the cab so no extra noise, spread was enough that the boats were stable. Door mounts on Chevy were louder than hell as they turned the roof to a drum head. Later door mounts with aero bars were more acceptable on New ford and Golf (tried round on Ford and still too loud). That said neither were really stable. Stability was created with a GoodBoy carrier. It is a 2” square bar 8’ long that bolts across the roof rack. The boat cradles are on the ends of it. Keeps 18’ boats rock stable

That said, have popped the bar off my Ford doors 2x now. Really do not fully trust those clamps. Have also watched my boat flying when a gutter mount failed (on a steel gutter). Not sure if I trust fiberglass gutters. We did run with 8 boats on top then, so 400lbs was more than the 120lbs I would do now. Wish the Top was better rated, my Leers were beasts.

Anyway, tag for interest. So far liking the bolted on basket the best, but wish it could hold more weight-wife is pretty set against a full cage yet

——
Just a heads up. Kayaks are essentially shaped like a pair of wedges. When you tighten your straps, they will also attempt to pull the bars appart. I witnessed a owner ruin the roof of a Land Cruiser this way-leverage crushed his roof in. Suspect the same leverage caused the gutter mount to fail on a different vehicle that same trip. So don’t tighten so much that you ruin your roof and slways run front safety straps Had a friend blow out their rear glass when her front rack failed and the boat flipped while going down the highway (it also ripped off the back rack but the spin managed to get the rear of the boat to hit the glass as it happened. FWIW not her only glass or boat loss...

Great points... I was worried about the same... I did some basic cals at 80MPH to account for gusts and we need serious strong mount for the surface area of 2 kayaks on the roof. Thus I abandon the idea of a hard top mounted solution...

Great points, thanks for sharing...

KCVS

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura and JLUR in KZ
RhinoRack backbone, Pioneer Tray, and Thule dock glide and hullaport aero with a maximus 3 ladder modified to fit just for giggles.

Just installed today and test drove. Will head 40 miles with 2 tomorrow and report on wind noise.

20190727_171225.jpg
Sponsored