Options for carrying a canoe/kayak

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
Thats big. Do you have a JLU? can always consider getting an extra crossbar or 2.
Yep, JLU. For sure, extra bar(s) would work well with the hardtop to increase stability of the boat. I mostly run my soft top during the parts of the year when I’d have the canoe out. The 2 bar Exposed Racks is the only soft-top option I’ve come across so far that does what I need, short of investing thousands in a full gobi cage, which I’m not interested in. But I never get tired of sifting through accessory sites (and this forum) looking for new/better ways to attach more toys to the Jeep!
Sponsored

rolly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2DR
These look great. Can you leave the base mounts attached to the rollbar when you put the hardtop back on? Did you drill all the way through the roll bar and attach with bolt/washer/nut?

Yakima Landing Pad 1's on the roll bar and same mounts on the hardtop rails I installed. I could have just installed the landing pads directly onto the hardtop, but I wanted some adjustment flexibility and the extra strength of having the full rail load spread out on the top.
I used some existing holes on the roll bar and drilled and tapped the others using the hardware that came with the landing pads. Had to use a good drill bit, the roll bar is hardened steel.

20200906_105046.jpg

20200308_081715.jpg

20200906_105106.jpg

20200308_081730.jpg

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Though a little pricey, I did end up going with these:

Exposed Racks

I got the extra attachment so they can be used for both under the soft top and on top of the hard top. I also bought the attachments for the kayaks. I have carried a 9 foot long kitchen counter on top of the crossbars. They are great and I recommend them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 1640099772095

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Second on the exposed racks. I've carried 20 sheets of plywood, sheetrock, lumber for a deck, and of course kayaks on the rack under my soft top. Selling the Jeep now though, if anyone is interested they are for sale on the forum.

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - Granite Crystal
Clubs

These look great. Can you leave the base mounts attached to the roll bar when you put the hardtop back on? Did you drill all the way through the roll bar and attach with bolt/washer/nut?
Yes, there is clearance between the mounts and the hardtop. I drilled and tapped the holes in the roll bar. I was able to use a few existing holes in the front pads where I was able to get a washer through the hole and offset the mount using that existing hole. As I mentioned, the roll bar material is hardened so you have to go slow with a masonry bit and the tap.

Sponsored

HydroPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler unlimited jl Rubicon
Though a little pricey, I did end up going with these:

Exposed Racks

I got the extra attachment so they can be used for both under the soft top and on top of the hard top. I also bought the attachments for the kayaks. I have carried a 9 foot long kitchen counter on top of the crossbars. They are great and I recommend them.

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 1640099772095
What size kayaks? We are looking at getting g exposed rakes but curious if it works for a 12ft yak

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
What size kayaks? We are looking at getting g exposed rakes but curious if it works for a 12ft yak
Exposed racks on hardtop. 2 door jeep. Any kayak over 12ft you need to secure the bow and stern. I ordered and attached 2 weight distribution feet per bar to help with load distribution. Ive been using this setup for 3 years. It is solid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak IMG_20220806_144641093

HydroPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 jeep wrangler unlimited jl Rubicon
Exposed racks on hardtop. 2 door jeep. Any kayak over 12ft you need to secure the bow and stern. I ordered and attached 2 weight distribution feet per bar to help with load distribution. Ive been using this setup for 3 years. It is solid.

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak IMG_20220806_144641093
So I should be fine with 2 12ft kayaks on a 4 dr?

Sponsored

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with all of @entropy 's comments (well, related to this topic anyway :LOL:). Mine are recreational kayaks and therefore not that long but a bit wide and they both fit on there no problem.

Outrider1

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None yet
Can I carry a 55 lb canoe just using the dense foam blocks?
Sponsored