Options for carrying a canoe/kayak

Dballer

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport S
Currently have the Rhino Rack Vortex 59SG 2 crossbars and looking to buy the nautica rack. 2 questions:

Any opinions on side mount vs rear mount?
Majority of people seem to be mounting on the 4-door. I'm looking to mount a 14-16ft touring kayak to the 2 door, ideally just using the two crossbars (obviously tying it down at front and rear bumpers) and not dishing out another $300 for the hitch mount. Any experience/ concerns with this?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

suicideTone

First Name
Tone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sport
Yakima bars and mounts on roll bar when going topless and rails on the hardtop to use the same bars.

7775DCDF-6AC1-4803-8905-596826B26017.jpeg
Can I ask what Yakima mounts you are using for topless? Trying to see where they mount. Im debating something like this vs a foam block.

RubiconToad

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon - Granite Crystal
Clubs

Can I ask what Yakima mounts you are using for topless? Trying to see where they mount. Im debating something like this vs a foam block.
Yakima Landing Pad 1's on the roll bar and same mounts on the hardtop rails I installed. I could have just installed the landing pads directly onto the hardtop, but I wanted some adjustment flexibility and the extra strength of having the full rail load spread out on the top.
I used some existing holes on the roll bar and drilled and tapped the others using the hardware that came with the landing pads. Had to use a good drill bit, the roll bar is hardened steel.

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 20200906_105046

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 20200308_081715

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 20200906_105106

Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 20200308_081730

rolly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2DR
Any ideas on how one would transport two Hobie Fishing kayaks on top of a two door? they're about 75 lbs each. Trailer isn't a great option because I'm in a very crowded area of California and parking is close to impossible to find even without a trailer.

I don't love J hooks for heavy boats. Prefer hull up or hull down. I could mount either topless or with hard top on.

wired

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Red with soft top
Any ideas on how one would transport two Hobie Fishing kayaks on top of a two door? they're about 75 lbs each. Trailer isn't a great option because I'm in a very crowded area of California and parking is close to impossible to find even without a trailer.

I don't love J hooks for heavy boats. Prefer hull up or hull down. I could mount either topless or with hard top on.
You might want to check out Exposed Racks. I have it mounted under soft top so always there, they have kayak holders that just snap in. I have hauled kayaks, and over 200# of lumber without a problem. They also can mount on the hard top https://www.smsparts.com

Sponsored

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude - Sting Gray
You might want to check out Exposed Racks. I have it mounted under soft top so always there, they have kayak holders that just snap in. I have hauled kayaks, and over 200# of lumber without a problem. They also can mount on the hard top https://www.smsparts.com
That’s pretty slick - thanks for posting. I’ve been looking for an option to carry a full sized canoe when running the soft top but without having to invest in a whole Gobi system or have the canoe resting directly on the windshield and roll bar. This looks like the one! :rock:

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
Currently have the Rhino Rack Vortex 59SG 2 crossbars and looking to buy the nautica rack. 2 questions:

Any opinions on side mount vs rear mount?
Majority of people seem to be mounting on the 4-door. I'm looking to mount a 14-16ft touring kayak to the 2 door, ideally just using the two crossbars (obviously tying it down at front and rear bumpers) and not dishing out another $300 for the hitch mount. Any experience/ concerns with this?

Thanks in advance.
Ive mounted my prowler 13 which is essentially a 14ft kayak on my 2 door hard top using exposed racks. No issues. I use their kayak mounting attachments and ropes for the bow/stern.

rolly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon 2DR
This is exactly what I need thanks!

JollieOllie

First Name
Ollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Firecracker Red Unlimited Rubicon 4xe
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks wired, they look great, especially since I ordered the dual top option. A little pricey...

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
What do you guys think about using a hitch mounted bed extender in combination with a gutter rail roof rack? Is it safe to assume the hitch mounted extender will help take some of the weight of the kayak off the roof rack? Not sure if there’s any other variables I’m not thinking about that would be a reason not to do this.
picture of the bed extender:
Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 06ED2E1A-C23B-4F16-9080-394A8290A430

The piece on the ground mounts to the top and that’s what I’d rest the back half of the kayak on, the other half would be resting on the gutter mounted roof rack bars.
I haven’t seen any one do it this way yet and am wondering if there’s a reason why I shouldn’t combine the two methods lol biggest thing I’d worry about is if the hitch mount shifting could cause some sort of unwanted force or stress on the gutters/roof of my Jeep

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
What do you guys think about using a hitch mounted bed extender in combination with a gutter rail roof rack? Is it safe to assume the hitch mounted extender will help take some of the weight of the kayak off the roof rack? Not sure if there’s any other variables I’m not thinking about that would be a reason not to do this.
Jeep Wrangler JL Options for carrying a canoe/kayak 06ED2E1A-C23B-4F16-9080-394A8290A430

The piece on the ground mounts to the top and that’s what I’d rest the back half of the kayak on, the other half would be resting on the gutter mounted roof rack bars.
I haven’t seen any one do it this way yet and am wondering if there’s a reason why I shouldn’t combine the two methods lol biggest thing I’d worry about is if the hitch mount shifting could cause some sort of unwanted force or stress on the gutters/roof of my Jeep
You shouldnt need this if you have a hardtop. Racks such as exposed racks can support a kayak without issues.

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I run this same setup to carry my canoe, except I use a hitch mount Reese canoe loader. The pivoting top crossbar on the loader makes it easier to load (I would think) than the fixed crossbar of a bed extender. I’ve got a set of Exposed Racks that are gutter mount with the hard top, and I’ve currently got them installed under my soft top so, weather permitting, I can put the top down and load the canoe to go fishing for the day. I secure everything to the racks with ratchet straps, plus Shoreline hood tie-down loops and rope to tie down the bow. It’s probably overkill, but the setup is solid and the canoe doesn’t budge.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
I run this same setup to carry my canoe, except I use a hitch mount Reese canoe loader. The pivoting top crossbar on the loader makes it easier to load (I would think) than the fixed crossbar of a bed extender. I’ve got a set of Exposed Racks that are gutter mount with the hard top, and I’ve currently got them installed under my soft top so, weather permitting, I can put the top down and load the canoe to go fishing for the day. I secure everything to the racks with ratchet straps, plus Shoreline hood tie-down loops and rope to tie down the bow. It’s probably overkill, but the setup is solid and the canoe doesn’t budge.
Nice thank you, glad to hear. I’d rather go overkill than not safe enough with it. Sounds like this should be fine then!

bgrex

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You shouldnt need this if you have a hardtop. Racks such as exposed racks can support a kayak without issues.
Agreed, no concerns at all about the rack or gutters supporting the weight. I just prefer (with my 17’ canoe) to have additional tie-down points at both the bow and stern as a little added insurance to keep the boat from wanting to twist or shimmy at highway speed.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Agreed, no concerns at all about the rack or gutters supporting the weight. I just prefer (with my 17’ canoe) to have additional tie-down points at both the bow and stern as a little added insurance to keep the boat from wanting to twist or shimmy at highway speed.
Thats big. Do you have a JLU? can always consider getting an extra crossbar or 2.
Sponsored