@OUTDOORTREE

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JLU
Vehicle Showcase
Is there a reason you tied the canoe off through the door jams vs the rack? Im still awaiting my Gobi arrival trying to figure out best mounting options.
I use the Yakima canoe holder - awesome!
Just a lot of extra cord so I put it in so it wouldn’t flop around.

https://www.yakima.com/keelover

It’s perfect with the Gobi Rack.
Sponsored

moell54

First Name
Aubrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Rubicon
Occupation
Retired
I use the Yakima canoe holder - awesome!
Just a lot of extra cord so I put it in so it wouldn’t flop around.

https://www.yakima.com/keelover

It’s perfect with the Gobi Rack.
Bob, would you mind adding a pic of your Gobi with this set up and the canoe? I just ordered the Gobi but will be carrying two kayaks. Would appreciate any comments. Thx.

Bricazo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Moab
I’m looking to buy a fishing kayak which is 10-12 feet long. I have a one touch roof and already own the rhino rack bars for my snowboards. I see guys tying the front and back of the kayaks to the jeep and I want to avoid the straps hitting my paint is that really necessary? If a get a J style attachment Can’t I just strap it to that and called a day? This is my first jeep I’ve always owned pick up trucks so I’m not used to caring things on my roof LOL

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I bought the Aquaglide Chelan Hb55 15' Inflatable Kayak, fits perfect in the bed of the wrangler and inflates in 5-10 minutes, it is made of the same material RIBs are made of They make a dedicated fishing version as well the Blackfoot, These are very stable even more so than plastic/composite kayaks as well comes with a back pack making it easy to get into some back country lakes. This also fits two people whereas the hard kayaks you are usually limited to one person. Just a suggestion REI usually has good prices

Here is the HB55 that we purchased.

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
I have the mopar removable roof rack. Along with 2 sets of yakima jaylows(j racks) although Mopar states they don't recommend kayaks or canoes.. it's more of a legal requirement in my opinion. I've been carrying two 10ft kayaks at roughly 40-45lbs each.. from portland to Seattle many times anywhere from 75-80mph+. No problems whatsoever.. holds great. Also very happy it just clears my standard garage height.
20190528_201403.jpg
20190528_201412.jpg
20190528_172737.jpg

20190528_174444.jpg

Sponsored

jmcdtucson

First Name
Jerel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I bought the Aquaglide Chelan Hb55 15' Inflatable Kayak, fits perfect in the bed of the wrangler and inflates in 5-10 minutes, it is made of the same material RIBs are made of They make a dedicated fishing version as well the Blackfoot, These are very stable even more so than plastic/composite kayaks as well comes with a back pack making it easy to get into some back country lakes. This also fits two people whereas the hard kayaks you are usually limited to one person. Just a suggestion REI usually has good prices
Just as FYI to any one considering inflatable. They're ok for really small lakes but if you're out in any kind of breeze or wind or a long paddle, or on the ocean, they are a nightmare. You'll get wind-cocked all day and exhaust yourself just trying to keep the thing straight. Real kayak with a rudder will make 10x headway against a stiff headwind.
For small lakes and calm weather they are a great option. They're more stable than a standard kayak.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
Just as FYI to any one considering inflatable. They're ok for really small lakes but if you're out in any kind of breeze or wind or a long paddle, or on the ocean, they are a nightmare. You'll get wind-cocked all day and exhaust yourself just trying to keep the thing straight. Real kayak with a rudder will make 10x headway against a stiff headwind.
For small lakes and calm weather they are a great option. They're more stable than a standard kayak.

You are partially correct, most fishing Kayaks (hard or inflatable are not good for the ocean as they generally have a very high center of gravity, however if you must the inflatable allows you to sit recessed on the deck (for a low center of gravity and reduced body sail) as well there is the optional touring cover it also helps in large lakes when it starts to whitecap or get rough. This makes the inflatable extremely versitile. while some inflatables are not great some like the aqualglide are very low profile which reduces the wind crabbing do quite well. Stability is the forte of inflatables so in rough water that is a significant advantage. Personally unless in the tropics we would not ocean Kayak much anyway, however we use ours in Puget Sound here in Washington and British Columbia quite often. I would also recommend the Sea Eagle brand which is actually better for fishing as it also has an electric motor option.

The Aquaglide is a very low profile wind is not nearly an issue as most other inflatables and it also has a very respectable skeg for excellent tracking.

Box+-+features.jpg

Touringdeckcoversingle_58-5215065_product_02.jpg

I agree hard kayaks also have advantages, but they are so much heavier and awkward especially for one person as most the hard shell fishing Kayaks are single person.
The ability to throw in the bed of the Wrangler was a game changer for us.

Two weeks ago we put the Aquaglide in the bed of the Wrangler drove 16 miles back on a very rough forest service road to a trail head, hiked a mile in to a remote lake with the Aquaglide in the included back pack. Nice to be the only boat on a lake fishing, best part it is a two or one person Kayak.

Also for us we tow our Wrangler which is at the 5K lbs limit and on a Class A motorhome there is nowhere to put a Kayak and we do not want to add weight to the wrangler as that would put us over the tow limit, so our options were limited to say the least.

Next weekend we are going to Eastern Washington to float the Wenatchee river which is something hard bottoms fishing Kayaks have difficulty with. So we found the inflatable to be the most versitile since fishing is only a small part of our usage. Even my 5'2" petite wife can unload launch and paddle without help. A little on the heavy side for her to back pack any distance though.

The other big thing is we have dual tops so we run our soft top in the spring and summer, there is no way to put a Kayak on top of a soft top without potential damage to the top. Top Down yes, however that that is too limiting. This is a non issue with the inflatables.

I do agree though for a exclusive hardcore fishing Kayak assuming I had hard top year around there are some awesome hard shell fishing Kayaks I would love to have...

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
We use a safari type cage over the soft top and strap them down. Also use a Yakima trailer to carry.

They are all large fishing kayaks that are heavy and must be transported flat. Two kayaks fit on the trailer. One kayak and the cargo box (filled with gear) go on the roof. Works very well. Trailer loaded is only approx 300lbs so almost like it is not there but with the motorcycle tires and the shock/spring on each wheel, it stays put.

CNY-JLUS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S
I have the mopar removable roof rack. Along with 2 sets of yakima jaylows(j racks) although Mopar states they don't recommend kayaks or canoes.. it's more of a legal requirement in my opinion. I've been carrying two 10ft kayaks at roughly 40-45lbs each.. from portland to Seattle many times anywhere from 75-80mph+. No problems whatsoever.. holds great. Also very happy it just clears my standard garage height.
Glad to hear this. I pick up like-new Yakima 1A raingutter towers and two sets of Bowdown kayak holders for cheap on CL. Haven't had a chance to load and haul boats yet. This is encouraging.

missnico

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
20190528_201403.jpg
20190528_201412.jpg
20190528_172737.jpg

20190528_174444.jpg
This is pretty similar to what I want to do.. Do you find it works well having the rack entirely on the back end of the hard top?

Sponsored

Dangitbilly

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Jeep Wrangler Sport S
This is pretty similar to what I want to do.. Do you find it works well having the rack entirely on the back end of the hard top?
Works great, no issues. Prefer it on the back so that my front freedom panels are still removable.

missnico

First Name
Nicole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Unlimited
The crossbar instructions tell you not to mount them on the removable panels.
The rack that I ended up ordering says different things. One place it says to put one bar on the front and one on the back. Then somewhere else it says you can position them anywhere you want. I've seen people do both, so I was curious. Just installed the rack and tested loading the kayak today. Seems to work well so far.
Sponsored