Options for carrying a canoe/kayak

TrailJoy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Also, to add to the gutter rail weight limit, does anyone know if there’s a difference in the rail system from older JK’s and newer JL(U)’s? The JL’s today are fibreglass... the JK’s are as well? Same weight restrictions?

Advertisement

ps2baseball

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Doesn't the gutter style say no kayaks or canoe? I'd be worried about lift and cracking at highway speeds.

TrailJoy

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, HellaYella
Doesn't the gutter style say no kayaks or canoe? I'd be worried about lift and cracking at highway speeds.
Yes but I THINK it’s (mostly) referring to kayaks held sideways (j hooks) which would cause them to twist something fierce (the aerodynamics are wildly different when secured upright). The majority of people I know use J hooks so it makes sense that they would use it as a blanket for “not suitable for carrying kayaks. Canoe’s have a MASSIVE opening to catch the wind. Also bad. A kayak that lays flat is still risky, but much less so. I could be wildly wrong, but this makes sense to me.

BRuby

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Benz Porsche Subie +
Does anyone know the weight limit of the JLU(s) gutter rails? I keep hearing 80-ish pounds, but I can't seem to confirm that anywhere. And I'm having a HELLUVA time finding a system that will work for my kayak or SUP, in the summer and skis in the winter....

Am I correct to be concerned about the gutter cracking with a gutter mount crossbar system, or should I be looking at a backbone system? I only ever carry one 44 lb 11' kayak (or paddleboard) at a time (and 1-2 sets of skis), but I hit the water at least 3-4 times a week for two months out of the year (over 30 minutes of highway driving to get there).

Am I overreacting?
Umm? Yeah. We have a Skybox 18 and a PH ski/SB rack - going 60+ mph constant. No probs. The fibreglass rails are rock solid. Even under additional snow live loads. Manual says you are good for 100 lbs. With rack etc we are probs pretty close to that.

Get something like the Yakima gutter mount and you should be fine. We only use the rear portion and have avoided loading the freedom panels. Have used the same Yakima bars etc for over 30+ years - and they are still rock solid. Using a canoe etc just use a front tie down with trucker hitch. Anyways load your JL like this and you will have a ton of fun adventures.

The JL is a super fun 4x4. No doubt the remote start with heated wheel and seats etc is the most appreciated option for icy cold snow conditions. Smart functional design we use almost every time up in the snowy mtns.

801712A4-070E-4A80-985F-A11FC4464E93.png

Punkdad

First Name
Drew
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Ocean Blue
Here is my set up - cheap 4x6 utility trailer with rack systems. Similar to a previous thread but I have mine set up for two kayaks on top and one below which can be easily removed for camping gear.

A5E2A65A-902B-46B2-A876-6E1BD9B34FC0.jpeg

AA9B7D16-0498-40C9-BB04-C0B44B675E2F.jpeg

14FF7AF5-BD4D-42C0-A9A4-6A3770B8A26B.jpeg

gnome

First Name
Mike
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
.... 1994 base YJ .......... 2006 Dakota ..... ..... 2020 Sahara 3.0D
Occupation
retired IBEW electrician
I went with a set of old school Yakima A1 towers.

I always carry hull up/cockpit down. It is more aerodynamic, and keeps out water from sudden Florida down pours. I have never seen the logic in carrying them sideways, j-style.

DSCN1588.JPG

DSCN1593.JPG

Hayseed_JLUR

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Cannot carry our kayaks on anything but the hull. They are wide fishing kayaks and have gear on them that we just leave on secured for transport. They have drain plugs to take out for any rain collected.

bgrex

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sahara Altitude
Been waiting for Metalcloak to update and start selling this front hoop for JLs, and I think this will be perfect to help carry my 17’ Grumman canoe. The hoop will support the weight and provide tie-down points in front, and I have a Reece canoe loader in the rear hitch, so the boat won’t contact the roof at all and can still run the Jeep top-down while transporting with no issues. Only hesitation is the price of the hoop...at $799 it is 2.5x the price of the same part for the JK.

6E2ED5FC-245A-4DB1-A5CD-AD620AC09CF2.jpeg

Advertisement

Tri-City Jeep

Advertisement