Sponsored

Option Advice...what's worth it & what do you wish you took a pass on?

djnemo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X3
1st time poster here. After research and test drives, I am about to order a Sahara and trying to keep msrp below $50k. Below are the options ranked from must haves to "I'd think about it if it were free".

Must Haves
1) Turbo 2.0 (I drive about 80% city so I am hoping for an extra 3-4 mpg with the low end torque a bonus)
2) Active Safety Package (I like the blind spot monitor. Shuttling around 2 small kids, so I will gladly pay for any incremental improvement in safety)
3) Leather (like the feel, looks good on the dash, easier to clean up w kids)
4 ) Body Color Hard Top (Looks great with Firecracker red, makes the jeep a bit more unique)

On the fence
5) Electronic Infotainment Group (listen mostly to podcasts so don't care about Alpine, use phone navigation, but the 8.4 looks much better than the 7.0 and easier to use the touchscreen).

Will not order
6) LEDs (good value and would purchase if I did a lot of driving at night outside the city)
7) Remote Proximity keyless entry (would be convenient but not worth $500 to me)
8) Selec-Trac (Don't need this in California. When I go offroad or 1x a year to the snow, 4H is sufficient)
9) Optional Wheels ( like them better than the stock wheels, but If I am spending $900 would rather just buy aftermarket rims for the same price)
10) Trailer Tow (don't tow, don't plan to mod much)
11) Hard Top Headliner - low quality. Plan to buy Hothead headliner - much better quality for similar or lower price.
Sponsored

jgray1975

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU 392 XR Granite Crystal
I have had a JL Rubicon for about 3 months now. Enjoying the Uconnect 8.4, the LED light group and the tow package because of the Aux switches that I hope to put to use. The only regret I have is that I got the steel bumper upgrade. I plan on getting a different bumper now so I could have saved that upgrade cost.

Pic18

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito JLUR, 2017 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk (my wife’s)
I wish I took a pass on the engine block heater! I honestly didn’t know what it was or how it worked. The description said something like warms your engine in cold temps. Sounded good and only cost $95. Seemed like something good to have in New England. Later I found out it’s like a heating cord around the radiator that you have to plug into an outlet in cold weather 4 hours or so before starting your vehicle. And it’s only recommended in subzero conditions. I’m 100%sure I’ll never use it. I should have googled it better before I ordered it. At least it didn’t cost much.

OP
OP
Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
I wish I took a pass on the engine block heater! I honestly didn’t know what it was or how it worked. The description said something like warms your engine in cold temps. Sounded good and only cost $95. Seemed like something good to have in New England. Later I found out it’s like a heating cord around the radiator that you have to plug into an outlet in cold weather 4 hours or so before starting your vehicle. And it’s only recommended in subzero conditions. I’m 100%sure I’ll never use it. I should have googled it better before I ordered it. At least it didn’t cost much.
The only time I’ve seen them used was middle of the winter in Minnesota...Cars without them weren’t starting.

Carolina88

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray JLU Sport S
The only time I’ve seen them used was middle of the winter in Minnesota...Cars without them weren’t starting.
Absolutely. I grew up in Alaska, and this would have come in very handy. We always plugged our cars in at night during the winter when they were parked outside.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Absolutely. I grew up in Alaska, and this would have come in very handy. We always plugged our cars in at night during the winter when they were parked outside.
ILL...

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
I bought off the lot, so I was stuck having to live with the Trail Rated Kit for $195. It’s still in the unopened box.

The dealer did throw in a free set of all weather floor mats to offset that needless option, though. After we’d reached a deal I knew I’d say yes to I hit them with the request for the mats.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
Long-time Wrangler owner, looking for advice on a 4-door Sahara or Rubicon JL. We currently have a 4-door JK Rubicon, and love most of the upgrades...except the "start/stop" thing. Our love for our JK has diminished with the interior quality, lack of creature comforts and dated NAV/Head unit.

Don't get me wrong. We LOVE our Wrangler...but ready for some upgrades.

We DO take it off-road, but only a few times a year when we take a trip up to Northern Michigan...most of our needs are centered around daily driving needs. We do take the top off in the Summer, and have a ceiling winch to take it up easily.

Set in Stone / must haves:
- 4 door
- Mella Yella (I was high on Mojito! but my wife wants a new color...and we've never done yellow)
- Painted Hard Top & Fenders
- LED Lighting
- Keyless Entry / Remote Start
- Hard Top Headliner / Insulation (as we have always added it ourselves)
- 8 speed
- Cold Weather / Heated Seats / Steering Wheel
- Blindspot / Rear view camera.
- 8" NAV / Alpine Audio / Sirius
Painted hard top and fenders is hideous imho, and costly. Other brands now charge more to get a black top, you can get this upgrade and save money!

8 speed is amazing. I got a 2 door so had to pass on alpine cause they put a big speaker in the floor.
I do wish I had gotten the convenience group , Its a pain locking/unlocking console to get remote out.

On a 4 door I would definitely get the hard top, on my 2 door the premium soft top turned out to be more amazing than I had guessed it would be. Safari mode is soooo good, I cant imagine my jeep without it.

OP
OP
Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Painted hard top and fenders is hideous imho, and costly. Other brands now charge more to get a black top, you can get this upgrade and save money!

8 speed is amazing. I got a 2 door so had to pass on alpine cause they put a big speaker in the floor.
I do wish I had gotten the convenience group , Its a pain locking/unlocking console to get remote out.

On a 4 door I would definitely get the hard top, on my 2 door the premium soft top turned out to be more amazing than I had guessed it would be. Safari mode is soooo good, I cant imagine my jeep without it.
Painted top and fenders is a preference thing...honestly, we prefer the finished look of the painted top...the fenders I could take or leave, but we ordered it that way so it is what it is.

Movingday

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sahara
Painted top and fenders is a preference thing...honestly, we prefer the finished look of the painted top...the fenders I could take or leave, but we ordered it that way so it is what it is.
Definitely a preference thing. It also depends on the color for me. The brighter, loud colors need black imo. Where the silvers and darker colors look good color matched. I have color matched billet and love it. If I had gotten mojito I would have gone black top for sure.

Sponsored

drippy

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2015 Toyota Highlander, 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo
One trip off roading on gravel trails in MI and we have some nics in the black plastic fenders. I assume the color matched fenders would be a bad idea. Where are you at in Chicago? We are in Hoffman Estates if you wanna come over and check out a Blue Rubicon. I had to fly to VA to buy it with the options we wanted.

Hound Dog Lew

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 door manual transmission
Seriously though.... why would anyone buy the smokers package? A cigarette lighter and an ash tray that fits the cup holder....5-6 bucks worth at best.
Simply because all my other vehicles have a lighter and ash tray so why break tradition.

OP
OP
Big Lebowski

Big Lebowski

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
One trip off roading on gravel trails in MI and we have some nics in the black plastic fenders. I assume the color matched fenders would be a bad idea. Where are you at in Chicago? We are in Hoffman Estates if you wanna come over and check out a Blue Rubicon. I had to fly to VA to buy it with the options we wanted.
The bulk of our driving will be "in town" paved roads. When we are up in MI, its way north and the majority of the "trails" are sandy and at low speeds. Stuff happens...we love the look and the BLUE! We almost picked up a Blue off the dealer lot, but decided that the wait was worth it for the Hella Yella.