Opinions/Suggestions wanted on which top setup to get

mgrowc1

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Premium soft top. That’s what I went with and couldn’t be happier.

I had a 12 JK that was a hardtop. I eventually put a softop on it and then the hard top just sat in the corner of our yard pissing my wife off daily...
Sponsored

drogers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-250
Im having a hard time trying to decide on if i should get a hard top a soft top or both. Suggestions or advice are welcome.

Background: Located in Northern Virginia. Single family home but no garage or covered outside storage area. Family of three and while my seven year old son would try his best i dont think he could offer much in the way of help removing the top. No family in the area. No neighbors to really ask. No 16 year old son of a neighbor to ask. I could ask my wife to help but i prefer to avoid arguments rather than to instigate them. All my friends have family's and live rather far from me to be asking for their help. Especially as they would have to come to me.

Not sure which top would work best for my situation. Ideally i would go with a dual top setup and run the hard top for eight months out of the year and the soft for the other four months. Not sure where to put the hard top or the ability to take it off my self without breaking it. No garage so no permanent hoist setup.

As this will primarily be the wife's car i feel she would enjoy the hard top more. She likes the look of the hard top better and any noise reduction i am sure she would appreciate. The ease of making the car into a convertible with the soft top would be nice as. My wife has owned a convertible before and would only put it down when it was an "ideal" day. Not too hot or too cold. She avoids direct sunlight and smothers our son in sunscreen during the summer. While the Freedom hard top would let us make the front seats open i would feel a bit guilty as my son would have to sit in back under the covered area.

Suggestions or advice from those having dealt with similar circumstances are welcome.
Honestly, thinking about this a second time I still think you’d be better off with the premium soft top. If your wife will only use the convertible-ness when it’s perfect, you gotta make sure it’s as easy as possible to take advantage of - otherwise it’ll never happen. NEVER.

kingdog23

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Bikini Sahara Turbo, 2016 Mini Cooper S Clubman
Occupation
LED Lighting
Premium Soft Top Only!
I wish it was available to order.

rafaelsmith

First Name
Rafael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK X 2-DR
I live in Florida....when I do get my JL it will be Soft Top only. Will be my 3rd Wrangler...none of which had hard tops so I obviously do not need one :)

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
You said it would be primarily hers. Get whatever she wants. If you choose and it’s not what she wants, you’ll have to live with that.

Sponsored

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Too many options.. for me it was the fact that the rear window wouldn’t neatly be tucked away in the back with the alpine system. Went with hardtop for now, got all the wires and components. When new tops come out I’ll reassess.

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
If you don't mind waiting longer than normal for your order to come in, go with the premium soft top for sure in your case.

From0toJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Firecracker Sahara (ordered 4/16/18, received 5/12/18), 2015 QX60, 2012 5.0, 2013 Prius V (hers)
If you don't mind waiting longer than normal for your order to come in, go with the premium soft top for sure in your case.
Oh no! Please say this isn't true... I too, ordered a Premium Soft Top, and she's been sitting in D status over a week now. I was hoping the delay in Premium Soft tops was over now, but maybe not? :(

Brandonjjon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE (Granite)
Oh no! Please say this isn't true... I too, ordered a Premium Soft Top, and she's been sitting in D status over a week now. I was hoping the delay in Premium Soft tops was over now, but maybe not? :(
Not sure, let us know how yours progresses.
Sponsored