Sponsored

Opinions on this configuration before I order please?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus RX 400h
Hey - I'm a JLWranglerForums (and Jeep) newbie who could use a little help... This site is amazing and I apologize if I've breached any protocol in this message.

The attached is a "configuration preview" generated by a dealer in MA today, not an actual order. Before I make it official, can I get opinions on:
1. MOPAR Hardtop Headliner... does it help with road noise or just aesthetics?
2. Body Color 3-Piece Hard Top OR wait (until when?) for the Power Sliding Soft Top?
3. Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle... this car will occasionally see the beach but will mostly be confined to roads (though sometimes snowy ones)
4. Color of Sting-Gray sounds like it's not available soon... do you think it's worth the wait?
5. Open-ended question... what haven't I asked about that I should?

Many thanks, and I look forward to returning the favor in the future - TI

IMG_20171210_200405.jpg
Sponsored

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hey welcome to the site! You've found the right place for all things JL!

Hope some of the following helps.

1) Yes, headliners can reduce exterior noise and also help insulation. Hothead and Boom Mat make some popular aftermarket headliners for the JK. Many JK owners preferred them to the Mopar headliner so you may want to wait and see what they come out with for the JL.

2) Freedom Hard Top or Power Soft Top is going to be a preference thing and how deep your pockets are. The JL Freedom Hard Top is essentially the same as the JK's except it's 20% lighter and it's easier to remove. Here's a video demo - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eedom-top-operation-removal-demo-videos.2288/. But if convenience and speed of taking off and putting back is important to you since you live in Boston where there's wet and sometimes unpredictable weather, then definitely consider the Sliding Power Soft Top.

3) Anti-slip Differential Rear Axle is basically a limited slip differential. Limited slip is definitely useful in rain and snow, even if you never off road.

4) We were told by FCA that Sting-Gray will be available around March. Judging from the recent color swatches and Mopar beadlock colors, it looks to be a non-metallic dark gray -- similar to the Rhino color on JK's. Whether it's worth waiting for or not is up to your color preferences :)

5) Read and read all the threads on the forums and articles on the homepage and you'll learn tons of answers to questions you probably didn't even know you had.

Good luck and happy ordering!

Lone Eagle

First Name
PL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Red JLUR
Hi. I would not say the headliner is about aesthetics, probably the opposite. In bitter winter colds, the plastic roof just does not cut it. The heater is not enough. Not that cold in New England where you are, but the headliner is also very effective for heat from the sun. It does certainly cut down on noise also. I will oder that.. Body color hard top is what I have now on my JKU and its beautiful and easy to maintain. I had a gritty black top on a previous YJ and TJ and ice sticks, so do bugs and bird splats... Do consider it. I have the anti spin on my JKU. It works if you get stuck but behaves a bit weird on wet and snowy surfaces. You need to get used to it.. The Grey you mention is a personal choice, so no comment and the power roof, I love the idea, but I am going to try it out before I order. I drive long distances on highways, I am afraid of the noise it will generate and I am not sure how it will handle Canadian winters and steamy summers...

Renegade

First Name
Zac
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜20 JT
The JKā€™s ESP/traction control was so effective that it renders the limited slip dif obsolete in my opinion. If the JLā€™s functions similarly, you might consider saving the cost of that. I have found that lockers and limited slip difs sometimes break traction at the inside rear tire on snow, initiating a slide.

sjl136

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 Willys 2dr, ā€˜90 YJ, '22 4Runner
Depending on your budget, timing and intentions with the JLU, you might want to consider the Selec-Trac 4WD system.

Also, any chance you mentioned the Tread Lightly or any other discount program to the sales person at Brigham-Gill? I haven't contacted any dealers in the area yet but will be soon.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Additional details are expected to be released this Wednesday including some type of pricing information.

I would at least consider waiting until later in the week to order.

OP
OP
TerraIncognita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus RX 400h
Hey welcome to the site! You've found the right place for all things JL!

Hope some of the following helps.

1) Yes, headliners can reduce exterior noise and also help insulation. Hothead and Boom Mat make some popular aftermarket headliners for the JK. Many JK owners preferred them to the Mopar headliner so you may want to wait and see what they come out with for the JL.

2) Freedom Hard Top or Power Soft Top is going to be a preference thing and how deep your pockets are. The JL Freedom Hard Top is essentially the same as the JK's except it's 20% lighter and it's easier to remove. Here's a video demo - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...eedom-top-operation-removal-demo-videos.2288/. But if convenience and speed of taking off and putting back is important to you since you live in Boston where there's wet and sometimes unpredictable weather, then definitely consider the Sliding Power Soft Top.

3) Anti-slip Differential Rear Axle is basically a limited slip differential. Limited slip is definitely useful in rain and snow, even if you never off road.

4) We were told by FCA that Sting-Gray will be available around March. Judging from the recent color swatches and Mopar beadlock colors, it looks to be a non-metallic dark gray -- similar to the Rhino color on JK's. Whether it's worth waiting for or not is up to your color preferences :)

5) Read and read all the threads on the forums and articles on the homepage and you'll learn tons of answers to questions you probably didn't even know you had.

Good luck and happy ordering!
This is awesome feedback, Jay! Follow-on question to #2: Care to estimate *when* the Power Soft Top will be available? Sales rep didn't know... Thanks!

OP
OP
TerraIncognita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus RX 400h
Depending on your budget, timing and intentions with the JLU, you might want to consider the Selec-Trac 4WD system.

Also, any chance you mentioned the Tread Lightly or any other discount program to the sales person at Brigham-Gill? I haven't contacted any dealers in the area yet but will be soon.
Sales rep said that they WOULD honor the "tread lightly" discount but then I haven't gotten it in writing ;)

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Based on you being in the MA area, and snowy conditions you may consider not going with the electronic top. I personally have ZERO experience with that top so this is strictly just opinion based on what I have read. There are a lot of bad things that were said regarding that top on the Liberty (SkySlider), it got horrible reviews, and malfunctioned quite a bit. Not to mention the potential for leaks....and snow can be quite heavy sitting on it which may or may not cause an issue? There is no way to tell really, but based on Jeeps previous attempt at this same type of top, it was regarded as a failure. Now this version may be a complete redesign, and it may be completely awesome! My own opinion is that with the redesign of the soft tops, zipperless, and one handed folding/unfolding....if I lived up north I would just rock the dual top group. Hard for the winter and snowy times, soft for the summer!

Jeeps really do boil down to what YOU want! Limited slip never hurts, and since you live with snow at a decent amount its a great option. Jeeps are inherently noisy, but hard tops do help some, and insulated ones help that little bit more. My wife makes fun of her 15 Rubicon all the time because at low speed when moving around parking lots the stock mud terrains sound like your sitting behind a wall listening to a Michael Bay explosions flick. The JK was a huge improvement over the TJ, the premium soft top was another improvement to the JK, so the JL will most likely improve on that also. Road noise will always come up from under the cab but its not annoying, its kind of soothing for most of us long time owners honestly!

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP
TerraIncognita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus RX 400h
Based on you being in the MA area, and snowy conditions you may consider not going with the electronic top. I personally have ZERO experience with that top so this is strictly just opinion based on what I have read. There are a lot of bad things that were said regarding that top on the Liberty (SkySlider), it got horrible reviews, and malfunctioned quite a bit. Not to mention the potential for leaks....and snow can be quite heavy sitting on it which may or may not cause an issue? There is no way to tell really, but based on Jeeps previous attempt at this same type of top, it was regarded as a failure. Now this version may be a complete redesign, and it may be completely awesome! My own opinion is that with the redesign of the soft tops, zipperless, and one handed folding/unfolding....if I lived up north I would just rock the dual top group. Hard for the winter and snowy times, soft for the summer!

Jeeps really do boil down to what YOU want! Limited slip never hurts, and since you live with snow at a decent amount its a great option. Jeeps are inherently noisy, but hard tops do help some, and insulated ones help that little bit more. My wife makes fun of her 15 Rubicon all the time because at low speed when moving around parking lots the stock mud terrains sound like your sitting behind a wall listening to a Michael Bay explosions flick. The JK was a huge improvement over the TJ, the premium soft top was another improvement to the JK, so the JL will most likely improve on that also. Road noise will always come up from under the cab but its not annoying, its kind of soothing for most of us long time owners honestly!
Thanks for your response, Jeff... Got our first snowfall Saturday and I am increasingly jealous of you Virginians this time of year. This vehicle would be garaged, so perhaps there's less threat from the actual weight of snow on the roof, but there *are* a lot of moving parts on that Power Sliding Top, based on the videos I've seen. The convenience of the sliding top looks indisputable, but certainly the dual top choice would remove the risk of leaks or other problems from a sunroof. Decisions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
TerraIncognita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus RX 400h
The JKā€™s ESP/traction control was so effective that it renders the limited slip dif obsolete in my opinion. If the JLā€™s functions similarly, you might consider saving the cost of that. I have found that lockers and limited slip difs sometimes break traction at the inside rear tire on snow, initiating a slide.
Thanks, Zac... good to know!

OP
OP
TerraIncognita
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Lexus RX 400h
Additional details are expected to be released this Wednesday including some type of pricing information.

I would at least consider waiting until later in the week to order.
You're right, I might as well wait for the pricing if it's this close... thanks!

hookedtarpon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 CJ, 2018 JL
I am also a newbie so hope Iā€™m in the correct spot to post. I just got home from my dealer. I specā€™ed a Rubi on the dealer system. The system makes ordering easy since packages make the decisions more automated. Iā€™m waiting until Wednesday to officially place the order. Here are my general/ stupid questions:

1)There was no opportunity for a 2.0 and was told itā€™s not available on the 4 door. True? I was leaning 3.6 anyway.
2) To those that have dual tops, do you take the time to switch them or should I get a hard top and aftermarket bikini top? Dumb question but Iā€™ve only owned soft in the past. Is it worth the $?
3) I chose the standard wheels. If Iā€™m not crazy about them, my plan is to go with AEV 35ā€™s. I know the Rubi can accommodate the 35ā€™s but find it hard to believe some lift will not be necessary per FCA but for looks alone? True or false?
Pricing may change things Wednesday, but I loaded it up pretty good. I think it could be over $55k. Crazy! Thanks for any input.

FCrackerJLRubi

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator Rubicon, 2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
1. 2.0 is only available with the automatic transmission
2. I switch between both tops, it's worth it if you want to spend the money and have storage space for the hard top during the summer
3.no matter which stock wheel you go with they are only 7.5" wide, so if you plan on running 12.5 or wider tires regularly you will probably switch them out anyways!
Sponsored