Opinions on this 18 JLUR

jbannick18

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
I'm looking at possibly trading my 21 Sport S JLU for this Rubicon. I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago and they were looking at the electrical system. It's now a certified pre owned and has been on the lot for quite awhile , especially in this market. Could there be some hidden gremlins ? The Carfax shows some routine maintenance with most services mentioning the charging system

https://www.autonation.com/cars/1c4hjxfg8jw110905/jeep-wrangler unlimited-2018

Thanks !
Sponsored

REDCOMETJLUXR

First Name
Angel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Xtreme Recon
I'm looking at possibly trading my 21 Sport S JLU for this Rubicon. I spoke to them about 3 weeks ago and they were looking at the electrical system. It's now a certified pre owned and has been on the lot for quite awhile , especially in this market. Could there be some hidden gremlins ? The Carfax shows some routine maintenance with most services mentioning the charging system

https://www.autonation.com/cars/1c4hjxfg8jw110905/jeep-wrangler unlimited-2018

Thanks !
First thing I would do is give it a test drive, and take a look on the underside to see for any previous off-road damage/use. If they certified pre-owned it that's a good sign the previous owner more than likely just used it as a get to work vehicle.

Attachments

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
Super low miles for a 3 year old vehicle, 2 owners already? Something is screaming "run" but that's just a gut feeling.
I agree. Like you said, something is screaming "run".

It's certified by the people selling it to you. I never like the term "certified", make the two previous owners certify it.

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Itā€™s been seen five times for ā€œBattery/charging system checkedā€ and two owners. That would give me second thoughts about this Jeep.

Sponsored

OP
OP

jbannick18

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport S
Thank you for the feedback all! My gut is telling me the same

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Itā€™s been seen five times for ā€œBattery/charging system checkedā€ and two owners. That would give me second thoughts about this Jeep.
But with a low mileage JL this should be expected. JL batteries don't like short trips and sitting idle for days at a time. It kills them. If the previous owners didn't know this, it's exactly what would have happened.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

'18 was the first year of the JL - it's never a good idea to buy the first year of a big model change. Always give them a year or two to work out the little details.

Things I know changed from '18 - '21 are

- Steering box. Sure, they eventually had a TSB for it, but still
- Rain being properly routed down the windshield instead of down the door
- The dual battery setup for the ESS.

falcon241073

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
The battery checks look to be part of the maintenance being done at the time. Ask them for the service records simce it was all done at that dealership. Take the VIN into the service department and ask one of the service writes to pull it up. Tell him you are seriously considering buying the vehicle and want to see the detailed service records before you do. They should not have an issue showing you. If they do then question why. Iā€™d try talking to the advisor without a salesman first. If he doesnā€™t want to pull them up then ask the salesman to go back with you. This will tell you everything you need to know.

Deleted member 59498

You could get a brand new one with some of the first year bugs worked out of it for just a bit more.

Sponsored

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
But with a low mileage JL this should be expected. JL batteries don't like short trips and sitting idle for days at a time. It kills them. If the previous owners didn't know this, it's exactly what would have happened.
Iā€˜ve read that, but five times? I would wonder if there were additional electrical gremlins.

I have 8900 miles on my 20-month old Jeep and can go a few days between driving it. Iā€™m fortunate I havenā€™t had problems with my batteries (I probably just jinxed myself šŸ˜).

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Iā€˜ve read that, but five times? I would wonder if there were additional electrical gremlins.

I have 8900 miles on my 20-month old Jeep and can go a few days between driving it. Iā€™m fortunate I havenā€™t had problems with my batteries (I probably just jinxed myself šŸ˜).
You might have, but it's more due to timing than anything else. You have maybe a year or so left on your batteries if you haven't taken longer trips regularly.

I'm in the same boat so I installed the Cascadia 4x4 solar panel. Most assume it's to power a fridge on overlanding trips, but I can manage that well with a portable lithium battery. I primarily got the solar panel because I take many short trips in between long overlanding trips and my JL often doesn't get driven for days. It's primarily for always keeping the batteries topped off after the short trips.
Sponsored