WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
Hey guys,
After a long month of waiting I picked up my new 2021 JLUR this weekend. I love the rig and I'm so happy with my purchase...with the exception of the engagement point on this clutch. I don't know if its just because I've never had a brand new vehicle or if it is just these Jeeps but man I feel like I've got to lift my foot up 2-3 inches before the clutch starts to grab. Is there anything that can be done about this or is this just a learning curve kinda deal? I've been driving manuals for 20+ years and never had this kind of issue. I'm stalling coming out of first and overall just doesn't feel natural shifting especially in the first 2 gears.
Sponsored

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys,
After a long month of waiting I picked up my new 2021 JLUR this weekend. I love the rig and I'm so happy with my purchase...with the exception of the engagement point on this clutch. I don't know if its just because I've never had a brand new vehicle or if it is just these Jeeps but man I feel like I've got to lift my foot up 2-3 inches before the clutch starts to grab. Is there anything that can be done about this or is this just a learning curve kinda deal? I've been driving manuals for 20+ years and never had kind of issue. I'm stalling coming out of first and overall just doesn't feel natural shifting especially in the first 2 gears.
That's been my experience too. It also has what I consider to be a long travel of the pedal so I literally zip tied a 1.5" x 1.5" block of wood to the top of the clutch pedal and also turned OFF the hill assist mode (located in safety settings) and it is slightly better. Even after owning it for over a year, IMO, it has a weird grab/engagement and I attribute it to the fact it's a dual clutch.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Hey guys,
After a long month of waiting I picked up my new 2021 JLUR this weekend. I love the rig and I'm so happy with my purchase...with the exception of the engagement point on this clutch. I don't know if its just because I've never had a brand new vehicle or if it is just these Jeeps but man I feel like I've got to lift my foot up 2-3 inches before the clutch starts to grab. Is there anything that can be done about this or is this just a learning curve kinda deal? I've been driving manuals for 20+ years and never had this kind of issue. I'm stalling coming out of first and overall just doesn't feel natural shifting especially in the first 2 gears.
The two discs of the dual clutch are not engaging evenly. Mine had that issue. It grabs the first disc which puts enough drag to stall the engine if you don't give it some revs, yet it doesn't grab the second disc meaning you really can't get moving until you let out the clutch further and engage the 2nd disc.

I hated it and swapped to a Centerforce clutch and flywheel. Completely transformed the driveability of my JL.

WashingtonWetWheeler

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' 6spd JLUR. UD60s & 40s
The two discs of the dual clutch are not engaging evenly. Mine had that issue. It grabs the first disc which puts enough drag to stall the engine if you don't give it some revs, yet it doesn't grab the second disc meaning you really can't get moving until you let out the clutch further and engage the 2nd disc.

I hated it and swapped to a Centerforce clutch and flywheel. Completely transformed the driveability of my JL.
My Jeep is brand new from the factory. Is this something that I should take in as warranty issue or they are all like this?

Sponsored

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
‘18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM

I am so happy to hear this!! I’ve been considering their clutch and am now even more excited to hear this.

has anyone gotten a replacement clutch covered under the recall? There isn’t a solution yet, but I think replacing the clutch with a Centerforce one would solve the problem.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
How does the centerforce do for crawling?
Flywheels serve the purpose of storing energy, and the heavier flywheel stores more energy. It makes the motor feel "torquey" with an easy to modulate clutch and plenty of oomph to bump up an obstacle without revving the engine. It also makes the engine slower to rev, which is ok for me cause it was too twitchy in the first place in my opinion.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
That's been my experience too. It also has what I consider to be a long travel of the pedal so I literally zip tied a 1.5" x 1.5" block of wood to the top of the clutch pedal and also turned OFF the hill assist mode (located in safety settings) and it is slightly better. Even after owning it for over a year, IMO, it has a weird grab/engagement and I attribute it to the fact it's a dual clutch.
Turning off hill assist made a huge difference for me. After doing that alone I felt like I had a much better feel for the clutch. I still occasionally stall, but it almost always in reverse. When the stock clutch needs replacing I will go with Centerforce now that it seems they have worked through the issues they were having.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
My Jeep is brand new from the factory. Is this something that I should take in as warranty issue or they are all like this?
I just passed 50,000 miles in under 23 months since picking it up brand new. I don’t have issues with the clutch after so many shifts. I will install a Center for e when it is time to replace the stock clutch. I finally had my auxiliary battery give up the ghost on the first day of vacation in Colorado. I pulled the passenger front fender and replaced it in the parking lot. Only “issue” I have had with my JLUR. Love the damn vehicle (my wife says too much).

Sponsored

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Update: 41600 miles... no issues even after letting my 17yo daughter drive it once in a while....😁

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I dealt with occasional stalling due to the uneven engagement of my original clutch for 2 years. It was replaced under the recall a year ago and the replacement engages like a normal clutch.

It did help me to research how multiple disk clutch operation differs from single disk clutches. By design they have greater grip with lower spring pressure. Since there is more surface area involved, the grip comes on more abruptly and needs a bit more throttle.

Last edited: