Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Unbelievable. I tried this today, and it's like a whole new vehicle. Wouldn't have thought that disabling hill start assist would greatly improve off the line clutch feel, and also slow parking lot speed throttle control.
Wow, I can't wait to try this. How in the world does the brake assist being disabled effect the clutch?
Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
Wow, I can't wait to try this. How in the world does the brake assist being disabled effect the clutch?
No idea, unless it's just a horrible implementation. No loss here, as my hill start assist wasn't working anyway.

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys, I wanted to also try shutting the Hill Assist to see if there's a difference. I've seen it before but for some reason couldn't find it this morning. Please refresh me on the steps. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
It's under vehicle settings, and then something like Safety and Assistance. Going off memory here, so might have the names slightly off.

WreckEm711

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Sport 6 speed
Tried this, didn't notice any difference other than that I was stalling from a stop more easily so I turned it back on.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
the recall is misdirected into believing the problem is brake hydraulic oil leak into the clutch assembly but the problem is obviously somewhere else when there is no oil loss and the clutch still smells just like burned clutch does
I still get that....

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The recall is because the clutch can slip and overheat and either blow apart or catch fire. So the solution is a heat shield on the clutch line. Personally I was thinking a better clutch would be in order but clearly I'm an idiot... lol.
As I understand it, the problem's root cause is due to air bubbles not properly bled from the fluid in the slave cylinder, not by a bad clutch. The clutch going bad is a symptom. The clutch is fine if it was properly bled. Other parts in the recall are to prevent a line from getting cut and leaking fluid catching fire in a catastrophic failure. With air bubbles, the clutch doesn't fully disengage under certain conditions, causing friction that generates extreme heat, wearing out the clutch and compromising in some way the metal in the friction plate which in the extreme, causes it to break apart and blow out of the bell housing and possibly cut the hydraulic line, causing a fire.

Again, that is how it was explained to me. Could be wrong or partially wrong.

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
The recall is because the clutch can slip and overheat and either blow apart or catch fire. So the solution is a heat shield on the clutch line. Personally I was thinking a better clutch would be in order but clearly I'm an idiot... lol.
yes, that's what Fiat says but I don't necessarily buy that

Sponsored

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
As I understand it, the problem's root cause is due to air bubbles not properly bled from the fluid in the slave cylinder, not by a bad clutch. The clutch going bad is a symptom. The clutch is fine if it was properly bled. Other parts in the recall are to prevent a line from getting cut and leaking fluid catching fire in a catastrophic failure. With air bubbles, the clutch doesn't fully disengage under certain conditions, causing friction that generates extreme heat, wearing out the clutch and compromising in some way the metal in the friction plate which in the extreme, causes it to break apart and blow out of the bell housing and possibly cut the hydraulic line, causing a fire.

Again, that is how it was explained to me. Could be wrong or partially wrong.
Interesting , this "bubbles theory" is a new one to me and thank you for posting it . At the end of the day my clutch still smells and the recall inspection was performed by the local Fiat dealer . I kind of resigned and I will see what happens. If the clutch fails I hope it won't be during my next road trip and that's all.There is much bigger fish to fry these crazy days.

ChattVol

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4 door
LOL, I was getting ready to call you to talk about this.
Turned off hill assist today. Starting from a stop felt a tiny bit smoother...but it wasnt a big difference. I like the hill assist when wheelin steep stuff...so I'll prob leave it on.

OceanBlues

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
About 50k miles, no issues. Just got a new clutch from the recall and still buttery smooth.