Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
I think it's more to do with the gas pedal not having a wire and is controlled by position. There is a delay on most drive by wire vehicles, that you over compensate on the fuel then back off and creates the stall
I think you're absolutely correct. that's why I'm investigating both Tazer and pedal commander type add-on's.
Sponsored

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think it's more to do with the gas pedal not having a wire and is controlled by position. There is a delay on most drive by wire vehicles, that you over compensate on the fuel then back off and creates the stall
I was sure that was the problem but after the heavier centerforce flywheel it feels very natural. I guess it revs slower and you can catch it right where you want it

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I think you're absolutely correct. that's why I'm investigating both Tazer and pedal commander type add-on's.
I tried the pedal commander and it made everything worse, pedal was too sensitive in every setting and it was even harder to get the desired rpm. Pure pogo stick overshooting high and low

sf5211

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New 2019 JL
Occupation
Plumber
Vehicle Showcase
I was curious if any one had the actual total of manuals built vs automatics
Not many manuals which is not great for us stick shift fans. I don't know the numbers but the recall is for I believe the 2018 and 2019 manual JL's and there's 33,000 of them.

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
I was curious if any one had the actual total of manuals built vs automatics
My sales guy said something like 8% in 2019 were manuals - I never dug any deeper.

Sponsored

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just dropped my 2018 JLU Rubicon off today for the clutch recall and they called me this afternoon stating they had to order some parts because they identified some issues (didn't advise what exactly). When I get it back with the parts breakdown, I'll update this post. I have smelled the clutch slipping when going off road in forward and especially in reverse.

This past weekend I noticed the clutch burning smell twice while while on the freeway at 60-65 mph in 5th gear??? This was just driving along on mostly flat stretches. Made no sense to me.

I have 17500 miles on my rig and still have trouble finding the sweet spot while in first gear and shifting 1st to 2nd gear. I've driven manual transmissions on and off since my first car (1963 Chevy bel air three on the tree) and my Jeep has been the most difficult for me to master. I have encountered almost all of the issues mentioned in this string. This is the first "twin clutch" I've ever driven, so maybe that is why I'm struggling at times. Bottom line is I still love my Jeep and shifting through the gears is a lot of FUN!

Blu bi Kong

First Name
Vic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
Interesting. Did they give you an approximate duration before they reported they found 'other issues'?
Just curious, I still have no issue with mine but just got the notice that I can set up an appt.

brewskisteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2001 Ford F350 4x4 crew cab 7.3L diesel
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting. Did they give you an approximate duration before they reported they found 'other issues'?
Just curious, I still have no issue with mine but just got the notice that I can set up an appt.
Hey Blubikong, when I mentioned issues, it was related to the clutch recall, not "other issues" and they updated me within 3 hrs of dropping off the Jeep. Once I get more information I'll I'll update my post.

Still using and enjoying the rotopax mount you sold me

Sponsored

Hobo

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JL Unlimited Rubicon
Love my 6-speed. I'd love it even more with 5.13 diff gears. I'm done with auto trans rebuilds.. already found a few Aisin D478's on salvage sites in the $1500 range. An auto rebuild/replacement would be twice that.
Two things:

1. Can someone what this means to a simpleton like me? What is the actual effect of a different ratio on my manual transmission? Better mileage? Performance?

2. Went in last week for a Jeep Wave oil change and tire rotation, and they remedied the clutch recall. I never had any trouble or problems, but it’s fixed, for what that’s worth.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
Two things:

1. Can someone what this means to a simpleton like me? What is the actual effect of a different ratio on my manual transmission? Better mileage? Performance?

2. Went in last week for a Jeep Wave oil change and tire rotation, and they remedied the clutch recall. I never had any trouble or problems, but it’s fixed, for what that’s worth.
When you change the circumference of the things being turned (tires), the gears in the axle (3.71, 4.10, 5.13, etc) can change to make things easier for the drivetrain as it works to make those things (tires) rotate. If the gears stay the same, the bigger tires are harder to turn (or have to work harder). This is different than the transmission gears and transfer case gears.

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Can someone what this means to a simpleton like me? What is the actual effect of a different ratio on my manual transmission? Better mileage? Performance?
He’s talking about axle gear ratio, and probably has turning bigger tires in mind.

This is a pretty short and easy to understand video:

This is a must watch:

Transfer case gear ratio is something else, entirely...

This guy’s videos are fantastic, if you want to learn more about how your drivetrain works:

double0762

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2020 JL Willy's
Occupation
Canyon Independent School District
Vehicle Showcase
Not many manuals which is not great for us stick shift fans. I don't know the numbers but the recall is for I believe the 2018 and 2019 manual JL's and there's 33,000 of them.
Recall included 2020 M/T as well as I, had to take mine in with 1,000 miles
Sponsored