Opinions on the manual transmission

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I rarely go into 6th gear. If I do it's over 70 mph. I like running my engine between 2500-3000 RPMS. And I'll cruise in 4th on the highway. I have a 2019 JLUR with 11k mile . No issues that I know of. My gas mileage is 13 city and about 18-19 highway. I have a bit of a lead foot too. Also, use the highest octane your state provides. My engine knocks on 87. These 3.6L are high compression engines.
Sponsored

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I rarely go into 6th gear. If I do it's over 70 mph. I like running my engine between 2500-3000 RPMS. And I'll cruise in 4th on the highway. I have a 2019 JLUR with 11k mile . No issues that I know of. My gas mileage is 13 city and about 18-19 highway. I have a bit of a lead foot too. Also, use the highest octane your state provides. My engine knocks on 87. These 3.6L are high compression engines.
I have seen a lot of discussion about the engine knocking. The owners manual even says it's normal at lower rpms. Idk, I haven't tried higher octane fuel yet and its so expensive I'm not sure I want to.

flightace47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No Jeeps yet
I haven’t noticed knocking on 87 on mine but I did move to 89 when we drove to the mountains during the winter to be sure. Running 91 vs 89 did not seem to make a difference the few times I’ve tried it. Chevron though. I run 91 in all my other cars which have high strung engines or turbos.

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have seen a lot of discussion about the engine knocking. The owners manual even says it's normal at lower rpms. Idk, I haven't tried higher octane fuel yet and its so expensive I'm not sure I want to.
I saw that in the owners manual too. If you want your jeep to last long dont use cheap gas. FCA says 87 is ok so they could get the annual fuel costs to look good on paper. Sure the engine will run on 87 because the computer can compensate and adjust fuel and ignition timing. But I definitely noticed better performance from using 93 and I feel better knowing that I won't be replacing fuel injectors down the road.

iznthesky

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JL Rubicon & 2004 Jeep TJ. Previously owned 1993 Cherokee, 1980 CJ5, & M151A2 while in the Military. For the love of Jeeps !
No issues with my 6 Speed manual. Love it, 20+ K on the odometer.
Use all 6 speeds....and usually Iam in 6th by 45 MPH.
Has lifetime mileage of 21.1. Gets better mileage in town than it does on Hwy....Iam sure that I am driving too fast. The sweet spot for best MPG is between 45 - 55....as the speed increases from there, the mileage slowly decreases.

I don’t understand how people can “feel” the performance difference when running premium fuel.
Low, Med and High octane fuel all burn at the same temp and speed. There is NO performance advantage unless you are trying to avoid detonation with a high compression engine or some sort of forced induction. The 3.6 doesn’t need high octane fuel.....but Gasoline companies love customers who are willing to pay 50 cents to a dollar more for fuel per gallon.

Whatever makes you feel good and gives you the most “Smiles per Gallon”.....well that is the best fuel to fill up with. Enjoy the ride.

Sponsored

BRuby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR-A Benz-A Porsche-M Subie-M
The sweet spot for best MPG is between 45 - 55....as the speed increases from there, the mileage slowly decreases.

I don’t understand how people can “feel” the performance difference when running premium fuel.
Low, Med and High octane fuel all burn at the same temp and speed. There is NO performance advantage unless you are trying to avoid detonation with a high compression engine or some sort of forced induction. The 3.6 doesn’t need high octane fuel.....but Gasoline companies love customers who are willing to pay 50 cents to a dollar more for fuel per gallon.
Yep JL V6 runs perfectly on 87. But we do def use high test whenever it is recommended in the OM. 93 without ethanol in our S. Is pricey but never had any engine knocking. Some try running 87 when 93 is specified - but that is looking for trouble down the road.

“Unless it’s recommended by your owner’s manual, don’t spend the money on high octane gas. In most cases, there’s no benefit. Higher octane helps only if you have problems with your engine “knocking.”

Read Your Owner’s Manual
Unless your engine is knocking, buying higher octane gasoline is a waste of money.”

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0210-paying-premium-high-octane-gasoline

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL

Whatever makes you feel good and gives you the most “Smiles per Gallon”.....well that is the best fuel to fill up with. Enjoy the ride.
100% agree. High octane is a waste of money.

If a guy was worried about injectors, this stuff works (I am generally of the opinion that additives are a waste of money, but this stuff and Seafoam are two that actually work.)

I used this on my Yukon when it started throwing an injector code. The code cleared and never came back.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C7GWOCM/

Rockywoolf

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu rubicon
No issues with my manual tranny at all. Only 4K miles.

StacieMay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Manual Sport S Mojito. 2016 Ram 1500 Blue Streak, 2008 Mazda 3 Sport Maunal
I bought a 2019 JLU at the end of the summer an have already had to replace my clutch at 6700km. It started billowing out smoke on a 30 second drive up the street. I was never happy with the original clutch when I first got the Jeep, and even had it back to the dealer to test drive in the first two weeks to make sure it was working properly which he said it was. It's a jeep(my first, but I've only ever driven manual cars) basically said it was a jeep thing, they are more like a truck than a car.
After the clutch was replaced it handled completely different. Very happy now. Looking at the work order the clutch has been upgraded twice since the original one was put in.

mrhumble1

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, 2-Door, Manual
I think you have not yet adjusted to the twin disc. You basically have to try to remember where two different "bite points" are at. You have an initial grab on the first disc which gets you moving but barely, and doesn't progressively grab more until you get to the engagement point of the second disc. If you go too fast through the second engagement point you still get a rookie-like jerk which is irritating. Basically, if you drive very cautiously with slow acceleration, it can be very very smooth. But if you want to drive aggressive, it's horrible. I've got 36k miles on mine and I still don't really like it.

Good news Centerforce is releasing their new clutches right about now, in two different holding strengths. Very pricey but I'm thinking hard about the upgrade.
^^ THIS ^^

12.5k miles on my JLR and I don't know if I will ever get used to this clutch. Previous vehicle was a VW GTI (dropped, chipped) and that thing was so much fun to drive. The manual on the VW was awesome and I knew I would have some adjustments to make, but I have had my JLR about a year and I am still not used to it. The thing seems to WANT to stall and I have to ride the clutch way more than I would like to get it started even on level pavement.

All that being said I would never get the VW into the mountains or go anywhere if the roads were not good, so I am obviously loving the JLR for those things. I hope eventually the thing loosens up a bit.

Sponsored

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase

Kluk Ztopolovky

First Name
Kluk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Sport 2dr Sting Gray manual
^^ THIS ^^

12.5k miles on my JLR and I don't know if I will ever get used to this clutch. Previous vehicle was a VW GTI (dropped, chipped) and that thing was so much fun to drive. The manual on the VW was awesome and I knew I would have some adjustments to make, but I have had my JLR about a year and I am still not used to it. The thing seems to WANT to stall and I have to ride the clutch way more than I would like to get it started even on level pavement.

All that being said I would never get the VW into the mountains or go anywhere if the roads were not good, so I am obviously loving the JLR for those things. I hope eventually the thing loosens up a bit.

I understand perfectly what you are saying. I've driven VW Golf and I immediately fell in love with the clutch . I even find that the JL shifting at times is rough and only after it warms up it gets better. . The worst is the clutch pedal with its dead bottom zone and then it suddenly grips . I have to concentrate too much when engaging the first gear. I am at 3 K miles know and the clutch has loosen up little bit but it still feels kind of rushed and rough at times. I read here some JLs shift easier than other ones . My engine for instance ticks bit louder than other 3.6. JLs I have listened to and I just think identical brand new engines with factory oil should sound the same. Well mine is just a tad noisy. I just kind stopped to worry about it and I will see. When I read on this forum how different people describe their full satisfaction with the reliability after 5 - 10 K I am thinking , Are you kidding me? Do not mention reliability until you reach 100 000 miles and then we can start talking about "no issues with my Jeep".

cmc.703

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can definitely tell the difference running 93 octane vs. 87. My engine pings running 87, from what I understand the computer can compensate by pulling timing to reduce the detonation, this affects performance. The 3.6L is a high compression motor and there's benefits to using higher octane. Not sure what you mean by all fuels burning the same temperature? But higher octanes resistance to detonation and the added detergents are worth the extra money to me.

HendersonJL

First Name
Chinh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting-Gray 2-door JL
Im at 25k miles and not had any issues

Around 15k miles I swapped to 35s and with the 4:1 rear end it does feel slightly sluggish but still more acceleration than my completely stock 2015 Sahara 6 speed had. I'm tempted to swap to 4:56 gears but it would be such a minor gain I do not feel like it's worth it.
Sluggish gets worse on long hill sides and mountain passes. I agree, everyday commuting on flat earth (no it’s round) it’s accelerates very well and not worth re-gearing .... yet! lol

IceBerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XR 392
Sluggish gets worse on long hill sides and mountain passes. I agree, everyday commuting on flat earth (no it’s round) it’s accelerates very well and not worth re-gearing .... yet! lol
Every time I drive to new mexico or the ozarks I remember why I want to regear, but 4th gear usually does the trick on every hill. It's just a big up front cost of $2k for such a minor change that I cannot justify it. In the auto with a 4:1 rear end I don't think anyone would notice a difference.
Sponsored